Certificate - Scientific Instrument Development
A certificate in Scientific Instrument Development is available through the Department of Physics and Astronomy. The Scientific Instrument Development certificate program focuses not only on using scientific instruments, but also will teach the fundamentals of electronics, computer interfacing, and machining. Students that earn this certificate will be prepared to design, prototype, and construct instruments for a wide range of scientific applications.
Units required for the Certificate: 11 minimum
(2) PHSC 75 Introduction to Machine Shop Practices
(4) PHYS 115 Electronics and Instrumentation
(3) PHYS 116 Advanced Electronics and Instrumentation
And select one of the following:
(4) CHEM 133 Chemical Instrumentation
(3) CHEM 141 Physical Chemistry Laboratory
(2-3) GEOL 197 Advanced Laboratory Techniques in Geology
(2) PHYS 175 Advanced Physics Laboratory
To receive the certificate in Scientific Instrument Development, students must
- achieve a 2.5 GPA in the certificate program courses;
- must be working towards a degree at Sacramento State or have special approval from the Chair of the Department of Physics and Astronomy.