Public Policy and Administration
PPA in the Community
- Professor Rob Wassmer presented his recently completed Faculty Fellows research on "The Relative Importance of Supply and Demand Factors in Determining Preschool Attendance and Hours Attended" to economic department seminars at Oakland University (3/24) and Wayne State University (3/25) in the Detroit Area. The paper and PowerPoint presentation are available at these hyperlinks.
- Rob Wassmer, PPA Chairperson and Professor, had his coauthored article on "The Issuance of State and local Debt During the United States Great Recession" published in the refereed National Tax Journal, March 2014. A reprint of the article can be found here.
- Two PPA Alumni will be among the honorees at the 2014 Distinguished Almni Awards on April 24. Congratulations to James P. Mayer (MPPA 1992) — Distinguished Service Award, President and CEO, California Forward, and Keri Thomas (MPPA 2006) — Distinguished Service Award, Community and Government Relations Director, Sutter Health.
- Alumna, Andrea Howard (MSULD 2013) is featured in the publication, In El Dorado County.
- Associate Professor Su Jin Jez published a new policy report, Teach for America: A Return to the Evidence. This is a link to Dr. Jez's rebuttal to TFA's response to this article.
See more at our PPA in the Community page.
The Master of Public Policy and Administration is an exciting professional degree opportunity for students interested in a public service career. The program draws together the diverse perspectives, technologies and skills now essential to a successful career in public management or in one of the many fields within the public policy arena. Unlike programs with a more limited focus, ours provides skills necessary for management and budgeting, as well as analytical tools helpful for understanding the economic implications of policy choices, evaluating policy options, developing political strategies for advancing proposals, and conducting/assessing research projects. Additionally, consideration of ethics and the public good is infused throughout the curriculum. Our graduate programs can be found at the University's on-line catalog.
The department also offers:
- Master of Science in Urban Land Development
- Special Master's Program in PPA and Gerontology
- Certificate in Collaborative Governance
- Through CCE: Certificate in Judicial Administration
- Independent Education Doctorate in partnership with the College of Education.
- Public Policy Administration and Law -
This is a new program for 2014!!
MPPA and JD joint degree program with University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law.
Distinguished Alumni Awards!Two MPPA Alumni are among those to receive Distinguished Alumni Awards presented by the University and the Sacramento State Alumni Association. They, along with the other awardees, will be honored at a reception April 24.
James Mayer, MPPA 1992 • Keri Thomas, MPPA 2006
What's Possible: Reinventing GovernmentA forum on transforming culture in the public sector to produce better outcomes. Co-produced by Hornets Policy & Politics Alumni, California Forward, the League of California Cities, and ASPA-Sacramento.
Speakers included Ted Gaebler, City Manager of Rancho Cordova, Patrick Blacklock, Administrator of Yolo County, Brad Kilger, City Manager of Benicia, and John Mercer, author of the federal Government Performance and Results Act signed into law by President Clinton. Moderated by Dr. Mary Kirlin, Professor of Public Policy at the Sacramento State Department of Public Policy and Administration.
What's Possible: Reinventing Government
Attention applicants!We recently changed our statistics prerequisite from required to recommended.
See our prerequites page for more information.