Public Policy and Administration
PPA in the Community
- Welcome to our 17 new MPPA students students who entered this fall. See who the new cohort is here.
- Congratulations to the 14 new MPPA and three new MSULD graduates who have completed their degrees since fall of 2013. A complete list of names and topics is here.
- Andrea Venezia, PPA professor and Executive Director of the Institute for Higher Education Leadership and Policy, is quote in a Sacramento Bee article the SAT and high school students in Sacramento.
- Last month, Hornets Policy & Politics Alumni won the 2014 Alumni Chapter of the Year Challenge. Prizes for winning include a slot on Sac State’s electronic billboard, $500 for scholarships, recognition on the donor board at the Alumni Center, a Sac State video, a feature in Sac State's magazine Torchlight, and recognition at the Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony! Way to go, HPPA!
- Josef Preciado and his PPA 210 final project team, Teresa Palmer, Terra Townsend, Millie Yan, and Cecilia White, submitted their paper for APPAM’s international conference, and it was accepted! They’ll be off to Spain in September to present it. Congratulations team! We are so proud of you!
See more at our PPA in the Community page.
The Master of Public Policy and Administration is an exciting professional degree opportunity for students interested in a public service career. The program draws together the diverse perspectives, technologies and skills now essential to a successful career in public management or in one of the many fields within the public policy arena. Unlike programs with a more limited focus, ours provides skills necessary for management and budgeting, as well as analytical tools helpful for understanding the economic implications of policy choices, evaluating policy options, developing political strategies for advancing proposals, and conducting/assessing research projects. Additionally, consideration of ethics and the public good is infused throughout the curriculum. Our graduate programs can be found at the University's on-line catalog.
The department also offers:
- Master of Science in Urban Land Development
- Special Master's Program in PPA and Gerontology
- Certificate in Collaborative Governance
- Through CCE: Certificate in Judicial Administration
- Independent Education Doctorate in partnership with the College of Education.
- Public Policy Administration and Law -
This is a new program for 2014!!
MPPA and JD joint degree program with University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law.
Annual Pizza Picnic
It was a great event! Thank you to all who attended! Be sure to catch us again next year at our annual pizza picnic.
Third Annual Master's Thesis Symposiumat the State Capitol
May 29, 2014
3:30 - 5:00 pm
Reception to follow from 5:30-7:00 pm
at Tequila Museo Mayahuel, Coa Room
1200 K Street, Suite 3
The Graduate Association of Students in Public Policy and Administration
Hornets Policy & Politics Alumni Chapter
More Information (Flyer listing theses and presenters)
Distinguished Alumni Awards!Two MPPA Alumni are among those to receive Distinguished Alumni Awards presented by the University and the Sacramento State Alumni Association. They, along with the other awardees, were honored at a reception April 24.
James Mayer, MPPA 1992 • Keri Thomas, MPPA 2006
What's Possible: Reinventing GovernmentA forum on transforming culture in the public sector to produce better outcomes. Co-produced by Hornets Policy & Politics Alumni, California Forward, the League of California Cities, and ASPA-Sacramento.
Speakers included Ted Gaebler, City Manager of Rancho Cordova, Patrick Blacklock, Administrator of Yolo County, Brad Kilger, City Manager of Benicia, and John Mercer, author of the federal Government Performance and Results Act signed into law by President Clinton. Moderated by Dr. Mary Kirlin, Professor of Public Policy at the Sacramento State Department of Public Policy and Administration.
What's Possible: Reinventing Government