About the Department of Public Policy and Administration
PPA in the Community
updated: November 7, 2014
- Professors Su Jin Jez and Julian Heilig (EdD program) discuss an article about Teach for America in the October 2014 edition of California Educator (page 21).
- On October 30, PPA professors, PPA alumni, PPA and Government students, and others presented a Non-Partisan Voter Information Form at the Alumni Center on campus.
- In September, Governor Brown appointed MPPA Alumnus Andrew Sturmfels as Deputy Director of Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs at the California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz).
- In June, MPPA Distinguished Alumnus Honoree and City of West Sacramento Mayor Christopher Cabaldon was awarded the prestigious 2014 City Livability Award from the U.S. Conference of Mayors’ for his leadership, creativity, and innovation.
- MPPA student Josef Preciado recently presented a paper based on a class group project at the APPAM International Conference in Segovia, Spain.
- In August, MPPA alumna Leslie McGorman promoted to Deputy Policy Director at NARAL Pro-Choice America in Washington D.C.
- MPPA alumnus Nick Kosla is now Chair of the Orinda Planning Commission and Director of Planning and Entitlement for Pulte Group in the Bay Area
- HPPA President Devin Lavelle (MPPA 11) wrote an article for Fox and Hounds on America's recent soccer craze and election turnout.
- Katie Cardenas (MPPA 13) co-managed her mother Nancy's successful campaign for Lassen County Treasurer/ Tax Collector.
- PPA alumna Lisa Phillips assumed a team lead position as Regional Acreage Limitation Coordinator for the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.
- PPA alumna Ly Lac was promoted to Cal MediConnect Operations Unit Chief at the California Department of Health Care Services.
- PPA alumna Maya Wallace recently became External Affairs Director for California Steps Forward.
- PPA professor Andrea Venezia authored commentary about Common Core implementation in California in the Social Policy Report and a report on Deeper Learning in Higher Education.
- PPA professor Ted Lascher coauthored an article about the effects of ballot initiatives on political knowledge appearing in Political Behavior.
- Ben Lichty, a 2013 graduate of the Master's in Urban Land Development Program, was part of a multi-agency work group to help develop guidelines for funding Affordable Housing and Sustainable Communities via AB 32 revenues. The draft guidelines were posted on the Strategic Growth Council's website.
- Rob Wassmer, PPA Professor, offered an invited presentation on the pros and cons of taxing “personal” property in CA to the 80th International Annual Conference on (Property Tax) Assessment Administration in Sacramento on 8/26. A summary and his PP presentation are here.
- Welcome to our 17 new MPPA students students who entered this fall. See who the new cohort is here.
- Congratulations to the 14 new MPPA and three new MSULD graduates who have completed their degrees since fall of 2013. A complete list of names and topics is here.
- Andrea Venezia, PPA professor and Executive Director of the Institute for Higher Education Leadership and Policy, is quote in a Sacramento Bee article the SAT and high school students in Sacramento.
- Last month, Hornets Policy & Politics Alumni won the 2014 Alumni Chapter of the Year Challenge. Prizes for winning include a slot on Sac State’s electronic billboard, $500 for scholarships, recognition on the donor board at the Alumni Center, a Sac State video, a feature in Sac State's magazine Torchlight, and recognition at the Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony! Way to go, HPPA!
- Josef Preciado and his PPA 210 final project team, Teresa Palmer, Terra Townsend, Millie Yan, and Cecilia White, submitted their paper for APPAM’s international conference, and it was accepted! They’ll be off to Spain in September to present it. Congratulations team! We are so proud of you!
- Colonel Michael P. Spears, US Army (MPPA 93), graduated from Air War College, Maxwell AFB and received a Masters of Strategic Studies Degree and War College Diploma. Colonel Spears will report to US Forces Korea in July as Director, Reserve Affairs. The United States Air Force Air War College is the senior Air Force professional military school and their mission is to educate officers to serve as strategic national security leaders.
- PPA Professor Su Jin Jez presented a paper on April 29 at the University of Southern California School of Education’s Seminar on Developing a Research Agenda: Tax‐paying Colleges and Universities. Su Jin’s paper is titled “What Data Exist That Might be Useful to do Research on For-Profits?”
On March 14th, PPA Professor presented a paper titled "Focusing the Aim of For-Profit Policy: Classification Systems for For-Profits and Postsecondary Institutions" at the annual meeting of the Association for Education Finance and Policy in San Antonio, Texas.
- Congratulations to MPPA student, Jodi Lewis, for being recognized at the SSRIC Student research conference at CSU Fullerton on May 8, 2014 for presenting the "Best Qualitative Paper" Award (with a $5,000 prize!). Jodi had this to say, "I can't say enough about the solid, practical research foundation I've recieved from the MPPA program." Well done, Jodi!
- Kristen Bennett (MPPA 2013) accepted a position in Washington, DC. In March she started with the National Conference on Citizenship as the Associate Program Director of National Service. Congratulations, Kristen!
- Professor Rob Wassmer presented his recently completed Faculty Fellows research on "The Relative Importance of Supply and Demand Factors in Determining Preschool Attendance and Hours Attended" to economic department seminars at Oakland University (3/24) and Wayne State University (3/25) in the Detroit Area. The paper and PowerPoint presentation are available at these hyperlinks.
- Rob Wassmer, PPA Chairperson and Professor, had his coauthored article on "The Issuance of State and local Debt During the United States Great Recession" published in the refereed National Tax Journal, March 2014. A reprint of the article can be found here.
- Two PPA Alumni will be among the honorees at the 2014 Distinguished Almni Awards on April 24. Congratulations to James P. Mayer (MPPA 1992) — Distinguished Service Award, President and CEO, California Forward, and Keri Thomas (MPPA 2006) — Distinguished Service Award, Community and Government Relations Director, Sutter Health.
- Alumna, Andrea Howard (MSULD 2013) is featured in the publication, In El Dorado County.
- Associate Professor Su Jin Jez published a new policy report, Teach for America: A Return to the Evidence. This is a link to Dr. Jez's rebuttal to TFA's response to this article.
- Associate Professor Su Jin Jez posted on Mike Kirst's College Puzzle Blog on the gap between black males and females in college entrance and selectivity.
- ASPA will present 2014 Awards of Excellence to outstanding public servants and scholars. Geoffrey Propheter (MPPA 2010) will receive the Burchfield Award for Best Book Review: Geoffrey Propheter for his review of Evaluating the Public Costs of Public–Private Partnerships: The Case of Professional Sports Facilities.
- In August, Alumnus Richard Funderburg (MPPA 1998), will start a new tenure track position at the University of Illinois Springfield. He will be teaching classes in budgeting and finance and policy analysis and advising doctoral students.
- Professor Jez recently did her first in-studio interview. She discusses Teach for America, which starts about 7 minutes in (her first quote starts at about 9 minutes).
- Professor Venezia had a chapter published in a New Directions for Community Colleges -- Special Issue: The College Completion Agenda: Practical Approaches for Reaching the Big Goal.
- Senator Tom Harkins’ staff asked Professor Venezia to DC to testify on the Reauthorization of the Higher Ed Act. Her written testimony is here.
- This month, Professor Andrea Venezia presented to about 250 representatives of postsecondary institutions at a College Board conference in San Diego focusing on how institutions can track student progression and provide the appropriate supports.
- PPA Student Cosmo Garvin explains the King's Arena controversy using the tools of our Program.
- Please join us in congratulating MPPA alumnus Andrew Sturmfels (MPPA 2012) and his wife, Nichole, as they welcome Andrea Beverly Sturmfels to the world. She arrived Friday, November 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm, weighing at at 8 lbs 5 oz. and 20.25 inches. Congratulations, Andrew and Nichole, on the arrival of your beautiful and healthy daughter!
- Alumnus Martin Radosevich (MPPA 2010) announced his move this November to Washington, D.C. to work for Rep. Zoe Lofgren as her Liaison to the 38 member California Democratic Congressional Delegation. Best wishes and congratulations, Martin!
- Center for California Studies Director and PPA 230 professor, Steve Boilard, co-wrote an op-ed for the Sacramento Bee with David Barker and Kim Nalder, entitled, "Viewpoints: Californians’ knowledge about civic finances is very disappointing".
- Professor Wassmer offered his thoughts on “Development After Redevelopment” in CA to the 2013 Riverside/San Bernardino Economic Forecast Conference in Riverside on 10/29/13.
- Professor Wassmer travelled to the Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in Kalamazoo, MI for a daylong strategic-vision meeting of the Editorial Board of Economic Development Quarterly.
- Andrea Howard's (MSULD student) employer, Parker Development Co., was awarded the Judge's Choice award for Sacramento Business Journal's 2012-2013 Best Real Estate Projects. Andrea is mentioned by name late in the article.
- Andrea Howard, MSULD student, helped organize a fashion show last weekend at the Niello Concours benefitting the Boys and Girls Club of El Dorado County.
- Professor Wassmer is quoted in a Sacramento Bee story regarding implications of the Sleep Train Arena renovations by new Kings owners.
- Welcome to the 15 new MPPA students and 3 new MSULD students who entered this fall. The backgrounds listed here are a testament to the interdisciplinary nature of these programs.
- Congratulations to the 27 new MPPA and two new MSULD graduates who have completed their degrees since fall of 2012. A complete list of names and topics is here.
- Alumnus Geoffrey Propheter (MPPA 2010) was quoted in Marcos Breton's Sacramento Bee column on September 1, 2013. He discusses the economics of arena subsidies.