About the Department of Public Policy and Administration
PPA in the Community
updated: May 7, 2013
- Colonial Michael Spears (MPPA 1993) is currently serving as an Inspector General for Intelligence Oversight, in the Office of the Secretary of the Army. He was recently confirmed by the Senate and promoted to Colonel (O-6) on 1 March 2013.
- MPPA students presented their research findings to Yolo County April 18, 2013, under the supervision of Professor Mary Kirlin.
- Alumnus Eric Guerra (MPPA 2007) and other members of the Hornets Politics and Policy Alumni Group participated in ASI's Civic Engagement Alumni Forum. http://vimeo.com/64345105
- Professor Su Jin Jez gave the keynote at the California Assoc of Private Postsecondary Schools 2013 Legislative Policy Conference on April 9.
- Professor Andrea Venezia spoke at the Western Alliance of Community College Academic Leaders annual conference entitled, "Community College Readiness, Completion, and Success—on Whose Terms?" (see page 6)
- Professor Mary Kirlin is the course instructor for California State Association of Counties’ first Institute Fellows.
- Student Derrick Fessler was among those selected to attend the Annual CSU Research Symposium competition at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona May 10-11.
- Professor Andrea Venezia offers an insightful quote about the Long Beach College Promise Program in an article in the March 28th edition of EdSource; Promising signs, potential lessons from Long Beach College Promise.
- Alumnus Scott Vince has co-authored an article based on his PPA master's thesis. "Fostering Learning through Collaboration: Knowledge Acquisition and Belief Change in Marine Aquaculture Partnerships" was published online in the top-ranked Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, March 18, 2013.
- In January Professor Mary Kirlin presented the findings from the IHELP study “On Balance: Lessons in Effective Coordination from the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges – An Organizational Perspective” to the Washington Board for Community and Technical Colleges, the equivalent of the Community College Board of Trustees. She co-authored the report with Nancy Shulock for the Gates Foundation.
- Professor Su Jin Jez had a guest spot on KTLK's Speak and Be Heard radio show talking where lottery money goes. (Fast-forward to 1:01:40.)
- Alumna Ly Lac and Dean Ted Lascher had their article, "The Impact of Direct Democracy on Governance: A Replication and Extension", published in the California Journal of Politics & Policy in January.
- Alumna Christina Kersey has an article forthcoming in Policy Matters Journal, the student run journal of the Goldman School at Berkeley. The article draws from her master’s thesis and explores the reason why the state moved away from tuition free education in the CSU system.
- Adjunct David Booher, and co-writer Judith Innes, are cited extensively in the article Deliberation and Decision in Collaborative Governance: A Simulation of Approaches to Mitigate Power Imbalance in the Journal of Public Policy Research and Theory. Dr. Booher is also a policy consultant with the Center for Collaborative Policy.
- Alumnus Sam Shelton was hired by the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) as an Associate Planner.
- Alumnus Tyler Johnstone featured in Sacramento Bee article about "flipped" teaching.
- Alumnus Andrew Sturmfels has been appointed senior permit assistance specialist at the California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz).
- PPA student Angela Marin was hired by the State Water Board as a Legislative Analyst.
- Alumna Erin Riches will leave her current position at the Senate Office of Research at the end of the year to become a Principal Consultant for the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee.
- PPA/Gerontology Special Major Yovana Gojnic was recently featured in an article about the Eskaton/CSUS Student Living and Learning Experience. Yovana's journal excerpts are here.
- Alumni Josh Rosa, Maya Wallace and Devin Lavelle were interviewed by Sacramento Current about the Alumni luncheon, "What's Possible: New Ideas for our Fiscal Path Forward"
- Professor Shulock gave an update of ongoing IHELP research on career technical education policy at a Capitol briefing.
- Professor Mary Kirlin and Alumni Colleen Moore, Kevin McCarty, and Christopher Cabaldon participated in a GASPPA sponsored Voter Forum of selected ballot initiatives November 1, 2012.
- PT Facultymember Roberts moderated a session called "Downtown Revitalization for Almost Free" at the American Planning Association California Conference in October.
- Adjunct Booher discussed "Introduction to Collaborative Rationality in Practice with Examples from California" at the Association of European Schools of Planning Conference at the University of Groningen in Holland in November.
- Professor Jez discussed “Redeeming For-Profit Colleges and Universities: How Public Policy Can Ensure Quality and Success” at the annual conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education in Las Vegas. Link to Use:
- Professor Wassmer discussed “An Overview and Analysis of State and Local Government Capital Expenditure Before and During the Great Recession” at the National Tax Assoc Conference in Providence, RI.
- Professor Wassmer published a co-authored op-ed piece in the Detroit News that recommended against a Michigan constitutional initiative to raise the legislative majority for a tax increase to two-thirds.
- Alumnus Chris Gardner hired by Sacramento Tree Foundation for habitat restoration project.
- Professor Wassmer was quoted in a Sept 16 front-page Sacramento Bee story on "Some Sacramento-area school bonds have long-term, pricey payments."
- Meet the 2012 entering PPA/ULD class.
- View Theses-Projects completed since fall 2011.
- Professor Nancy Shulock published the August Institute for Higher Education Leadership and Policy newsletter, featuring The Completion Arch.
- Adjunct Michael Semler recently published the op-ed piece, Viewpoints: Special funds Need more legislative oversight, in the Sacramento Bee.
- PPA 220A is now on Twitter! Follow @rwassme.
- Alumnus Erike Young earns national honor for his commitment to safety.
- After earning his PhD from Walden University this year, Alumnus Perry Gross published a version of his dissertation, Perspectives of Public Decision Making in Light of Collaboration: A Q Methodology Study.
- PPA Student Michael Billingsley sings about what he learned in PPA 207.
- Alumnus Kent G. Andersen hired as Economic Development Specialist in Layton, Utah.
- Alumnus Scott Vince co-authored a piece entitled Forward, Together: Better Schools Through Labor-Management Collaboration.
- PPA Professor, Su Jin Jez, is doing well after the birth of her first child on July 27, 2012.
- Alumna Noelle Mattock recently celebrated her 10th Anniversary at CH2M Hill as a Senior Governmental Affairs Representative.
- Alumnus Josh Rosa was appointed by Mayor Kevin Johnson to the Oversight Board of the Redevelopment Successor Agency of the County of Sacramento.
- Alumna Veronica Perez Olympic soccer referee.
- Alumnus Dan Scott, as Executive Director, oversaw another successful Sacramento Beer Week event.
- Professor Su Jin Jez and Alumnus Geoffrey Propheter co-author and publish paper, Whither Utility and Duty? A Case for Virtue in Community College Administration.
- PPA Lecturer, Peter Detwiler, published a book chapter and an article.
- Alumni Eric Chisholm and Andrew Sturmfels won the Cristy Jensen Distinguished Graduate Award for 2011-12.
- Alumnus Andrew Sturmfels won the SSIS Dean’s Graduate Student Award for 2011-12.
- Alumnus Andrew Sturmfels' piece based published in the the Sacramento Bee on May 20, 2012 was based on his thesis.
- MPPA thesis students present theses at Capitol. Click here to view handouts.
- PPA Professor and SSIS Dean, Charles Gossett, has accepted a position as Interim Provost for one year.
- Professor Nancy Shulock was keynote speaker at the CA Community Colleges Association for Occupational Education. She also briefed the California Collaborative on District Reform.
- Alumni President Rosa appointed to two League of California Cities’ Policy Committees.
- Alumna Baass hired by the California Senate Budget Committee.
- Alumnus Propheter writes about sales tax rebates in State Tax Notes.
- Alumnus Harper hired by the Legislative Analyst's Office.
- PPA student Ryan Roebuck was on CPR's Insight.
- Adjunct Detwiler received California State Association of Counties (CSAC) 2011 Distinguished Service Award CSAC. CSAC also recognized Alumni Hurst and Buss for quality work during 2011.
- Professor Shulock helped craft recommendations for the CA Community College Chancellor’s Task Force endorsed by the Board of Governors.
- Professor Jez talks about for-profit colleges and access at ASHE national conference.
- Professor Wassmer advises New England Legislators on business location incentives in Boston.
- Alumnus Iwasa hired as Sacramento State Police Chief and Director.
- Professor Lascher discusses the implications of research by Professors Jez and Wassmer on learning time for academic achievement in the Sacramento Bee.
- Meet the 2011 entering PPA/ULD class.
- Master's theses/projects completed since fall 2010.
- Professor Kirlin serves on WASC accreditation team.
- Alumni President Rosa discusses transportation and sustainable development.
- Professor Lascher co-editing journal issue on CA electorial reform.
- Professor Jez serves on WICHE’s technical review panel.
- Moore and Professor Shulock offer "A Sense of Direction" to community college students.
- Instructor Detwiler praised in the Sacramento Bee.
- Professor Wassmer offers advice to the California Debt Investment Advisor Council (alternate link).
- Record Number of PPA/ULD Grads at Spring Commencement.
- Alumnus Stern Receives SSIS Dean Gossett’s Graduate Student Award and Cristy Jensen PPA Distinguished PPA Grad Award.
- Professor Jez spends June at UTexas-Austin on Fellowship to Research Urban School Finance.
- Faculty Shulock Raises Concerns About Performance-based Funding.
- Alumnus Minnick Appointed to Steering Committee of the National Children’s Study.
- Professor Wassmer Publishes in Housing Policy Debate.
- PPA Faculty Featured in Sac State Alumni Magazine.
- Jud Admin Certificate graduate Setter appointed CEO of Tehama Superior Court.
- Alumni Wallace Selected for Sac City's Redistricting Committee.
- Professor Jez Examines the Role of For-Profit in College Completion at AEFP National Meeting.
- Professor Kirlin Considers Planning for Change in Higher Education at ASPA National Meeting.
- Professor Wassmer Comments on Community College Compensation in Sac Bee.
- Professor Shulock Analyzes Performance Incentives for College Completion.
- Professor Hodson Offers an Opinion on California Optimism for the Mercury News.
- Professor Kirlin to help Search for Democracy.
- Professor Shulock and Alumna Moore look for career tech potential in The Road Less Traveled.
- Adjunct Booher to speak at Harvard on Planning with Complexity.
- Student Cantrell appointed Acting Chief of the CA Fish and Game Water Branch.
- Professor Wassmer advises visiting Shanghai City Planners.
- Professor Shulock appointed to Student Success Task Force.
- Alumnus Rosa examines changes in federal housing programs.
- Alumnus Kosla appointed to Orinda Planning Commission.
- Adjunct Semler quoted in the SF Chronicle.
- Adjunct Detwiler on Restructuring CA Redevelopment.
- Professor Jez studies Latina/o student achievement.
- Professor Wassmer helps move CA Forward.
- Professor Lascher explores the CA Voter Myth.
- Alumnus Propheter examines CA Legislative Compensation.