Impaction and Applying to the Psychology Major
The Chancellor's Office of the California State University has granted the Psychology Department impaction status for its undergraduate major program. Students applying to the major are required to submit a supplemental application. New applicants, including transfer students, must be admitted to the University prior to applying to the major.
To apply to the undergraduate psychology major, you must meet all of the following supplemental admission criteria:
- New and returning students must meet the CSU admission requirements and must be in good academic standing.
- Students must have completed PSYC 2 (Introductory Psychology; 3 semester units), or its articulated equivalents, with a grade of “C” or higher within 2 attempts. Courses in progress at the time the supplemental application is submitted are not accepted.
- Students must have completed at least 30 semester units.
- Students must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.3 in all college level courses.
Admission of majors to the Psychology program will be based on a rank ordering of eligible applicants according to their overall GPA. Applicants will be accepted for available spaces up to the departmental capacity. The GPA cut-off for Spring 2016 admission to the major was 2.3.
There are information sessions that provide additional information on applying to the Psychology major. Attending one is not mandatory but strongly encouraged. Dates, times, and locations of the information sessions will be posted once the application period opens up.For Applicants pursuing a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) Degree in Psychology:
- For the AA-T or AS-T to be considered in the Sacramento State admission decision, the applicant must be pursuing the approved AA-T or AS-T in Psychology at the time of application and must be on-track for completing the approved program prior to Fall 2013.
- If the above is met, the AA-T or AS-T degree curriculum is used in lieu of the Psychology major specific courses
- If you are pursuing a AA-T or AS-T in Psychology, submit a copy of the completed degree evaluation (Verification of Intent to Earn AA-T or AS-T) document from your California Community College. The document must be mailed to Sacramento State Admissions Office, Lassen Hall 1100, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6048.
INFORMATION SESSIONS: We will be offering several information sessions for undergraduate students seeking admission into the Psychology Bachelor's Program. These information sessions will be offered at different times and days to accomodate various students' schedules. During the information sessions we will go over the application process in detail helping you ensure that your materials are complete and your application is reviewed. Attendance to the information sessions is not mandatory but is strongly encouraged. Here are the dates, please note the updated times:
1. Friday, January 29th, 2016, 1:00pm – 2:00pm, in AMD 152
2. Tuesday, February 16th, 2016, 5:15pm – 6:15pm, in AMD 217
3. Friday, March 4th, 2016, 1:00pm – 2:00pm, in AMD 152
The Supplemental Application period for Fall 2016 is now open. You will be able to access the Supplemental Application for Fall 2016 from January 25, 2016 to March 11, 2016. Click here to access the link for the Supplemental Application.
California State University, Sacramento | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819 | (916) 278-6011
If you have difficulty accessing content on this page, please contact us.