Research Funding Update
Research Funding Update is published monthly by the office of Research Administration to notify the campus community about potential sources of external support for their research and scholarly activities.
Additional information about opportunities listed in the update can be obtained by clicking on the given link or by contacting your Sponsored Research Officer.
- Abbreviated Listing of Programs (PDF)
- Feature Article
- Arts and Humanities
- Business and Economic Development
- Engineering, Technology, and Computer Science
- Health, Mental Health, and Human Services
- Sciences and Mathematics
Determining which NIH Institute or Study Section is Best Fit
NIH’s new “LikeThis” tool can help
Principal Investigators preparing proposals to NIH must consider which NIH Institute and study section to list as a preference in their cover letter. To help with this determination NIH has developed a new search tool called LikeThis.
Access to LikeThis is available through NIH’s eRA Commons portal.
PIs can enter scientific text from their grant application into LikeThis (the data remains confidential) to find similar grants, including the name of the NIH funding Institute as well as a list of the study sections where these were reviewed.
Alternatively, PIs can access their previously funded or unfunded grants from the ‘My Applications’ tab in LikeThis to find similarly funded grants.
Steps for locating Institute and Study Section in similar grants, using LikeThis:
- Log in to eRA Commons: https://commons.era.nih.gov/commons/. For those who need to have an account set up, contact the Office of Research Administration at email@example.com.
- From the home page, click on the link for LikeThis (under Additional Links on the right side of the screen.)
- Click on the LikeThis graphic to enter the system.
- You will see two tabs: My Scientific Text or My Applications.
- On the Scientific Text tab, enter a title in Proposed Project Title. This field is optional.
- Enter or paste scientific text into the Scientific Description/Scientific Aims text box.
- Click Submit.
- The system displays a listing of similar funded projects and publications, as well as scientific terms, on separate tabs.
To locate similar grants using your own submitted applications or grants:
- On the My Applications tab, locate the application for which you want to view similar funded projects and publications. Select the LikeThis link in the corresponding LikeThis column. Applications from fiscal year 2007 onwards appear on the list.
The LikeThis tool is currently available to PIs was recently made available to Signing Officials as well as others with eRA Commons roles such as Trainee, Post Doc and Assistant.
Note that this is a sampling of the possibilities with this tool. To find out more, go to the