Sacrament State DiscoveriesSacramento StateRACARACA




About Us


Contact Information



Funding Opportunities


Proposal Development


Contract Development


Award Administration


Policies and Procedures


Workshops and Training

Research Integrity and Compliance


Animal Welfare


Conflicts of Interest


Human Subjects


RCR-Responsible Conduct

Centers and Institutes


Collaborations and Initiatives


California Intern Network


Student Opportunities

Sacramento State


University Enterprises, Inc.



Institutional Compliance



Human Subjects Protection
The Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects reviews research involving human subjects to determine and certify that all projects conform to federal and institutional regulations and policies. A protocol must be submitted, and approval must be granted, before work can begin on a project.  For more information, see Human Subjects.


Institutional Animal Care and Use
Projects that will involve the use of vertebrate animals must receive approval from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).  For more information, please contact Research Administration.


Conflict of Interest
Key personnel on proposals submitted to private foundations, corporations, the National Science Foundation (NSF), and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) must complete, sign and return a Financial Interest Disclosure Statement to the office of Research Administration.  Sacramento State is required by state law to have a copy of the completed 700U form on file for all proposals to nongovernmental entities and is required by the federal government to have a copy of the completed and signed form on file for proposals to NSF and DHHS. See Sacramento State’s Conflict of Interest Policy / Form (PDF)


Responsible Conduct in Research
Scientific misconduct is the intentional falsification or fabrication of data or results, the application of scientific procedures in a manner designed to bias results, the deceptive reporting of research outcomes, and/or plagiarism by a student, a faculty member, or a member of the staff. For Sacramento State’s policy on responsible conduct in research and the process for handling allegations of scientific misconduct, see the Sacramento State Policy on Scientific Misconduct.


For more on Responsible Conduct of Research, reference On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research. This book describes the ethical foundations of scientific practices and some of the personal and professional issues that researchers encounter in their work. It applies to all forms of research--whether in academic, industrial, or governmental settings-and to all scientific disciplines. On Being a Scientist is published by: the Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy of the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine at the National Academies.


Export Controls
Proposed projects may be subject to Export Administration Regulations (EAR) or International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR).  EAR and ITAR prohibit the export of specific unlicensed technologies for reasons of national security or protection of trade. EAR and/or ITAR may require that a license be obtained from the State Department or the Commerce Department as a condition of allowing foreign nationals to participate in research, conducting the research in cooperation with a foreign company or foreign colleagues, sending research equipment to foreign countries, or sharing research technology—orally, in writing or visually—with persons who are not United States citizens or permanent resident aliens.


Please contact the Research Administration office if your project will involve communications with U.S. embargoed countries or their citizens. Such communications may be prohibited by U.S. sanctions law unless a license is obtained. See current list of embargoed countries.


Intellectual Property:  Patents, Copyright and Proprietary Information
Please contact Research Administration if:

Biohazards: Hazardous Waste, Hazardous Chemicals, and Radioactive Materials
If a project will involve hazardous waste, hazardous chemicals, or radioactive materials, please contact the Environmental Health and Safety office at extension 8-6456.  Principal investigators are responsible for maintaining appropriate operational procedures, controls, and personnel training as outlined in the Chemical Hygiene Plan.