Skip to Content



Who is my advisor?

A major advisor is a faculty member in the major department who answers questions pertaining to requirements within the major.

A general education advisor is an academic advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center (Lassen Hall 1013) who answers any questions related to general education, graduation requirements, grading policies, etc. The Academic Advising and Career Center does not advise on major requirements.

There are also designated advisors for students in specialized programs such as EOP, CAMP, MEP, and Intercollegiate Athletics.

How often should I see an advisor?

First year students are required to see an advisor each semester during the first year. All other students are highly recommended to meet with a general advisor and major advisor at least once each semester. Students who begin their second year on academic probation are required to meet with an advisor twice each semester and attend one workshop. Advisors contact students directly.

What should I talk about with a GE advisor?
Below are examples of questions asked of the academic advisors:

  • Which GE courses should I be taking now?
  • How do I complete the foreign language requirement?
  • How do I file a petition to graduate?
  • Should I repeat this course?
  • What does it mean to be on Academic Probation?

What should I talk about with my major advisor?
A major advisor can help with short and long range planning:

  • Which courses should I take next in my major?
  • Is this a good major for me?
  • What jobs are available with this major?
  • What can you tell me about graduate school?
  • Will you check and sign my graduation application?

How can I find out which courses at California Community Colleges match my major courses at Sac State? Go to and follow the instructions to get a list of articulated courses.

Back to Top


How do AP test scores count?

Students receive 6 units of credit for each AP score of 3, 4, or 5. These units may apply to GE and/or elective units as shown in the chart below.

Use of AP Credit
AP Exam GE Area, Units Elec Course Equivalents
Art History C2, 3 units 3 None
Art Studio None 6 None
With a score of 3
With a score of 4 or 5
B2, 3 units
B2 & B3, 3 units: B5, 3 units
BIO 10
Calculus A/B* B4, 4 units 2 MATH 30, with score of 4 or 5
Calculus B/C* B4 & B5, 3 units each 0 MATH 30 & 31
Chemistry B1 & B3, 6 units 0 None
Chinese C3 & C4, 3 units 0 CHIN 2A
Computer Science A* None 6 CSC 15
Computer Science A/B* None 6 CSC 15 & 20
Economics-Macroeconomics D1a, 3 units 3 ECON 1A
Economics-Microeconomics D1a, 3 units 3 ECON 1B
English Language A2, 3 units 3 ENGL 1A
English Literature A2 & C3, 3 units each 0 ENGL 1A
Environmental Science B1 & B3, 4 units 2 None
French Language
With a score of 3
With a score of 4
With a score of 5
C3 & C4, 3 units each
C3 & C4, 3 units each
C3 & C4, 3 units each
FREN 2A & Foreign Lang reqmt met
FREN 2B & Foreign Lang reqmt met
FREN 101 & Foreign Lang reqmt met
French Literature with a score of 4 or 5 C3 & C4, 3 units each 0 FREN 110 & Foreign Lang reqmt met
Geography-Human D1a, 3 units 3 GEOG 2
With a score of 3
With a score of 4
With a score of 5
C3 & C4, 3 units each
C3 & C4, 3 units each
C3 & C4, 3 units each
GERM 2A & Foreign Lang reqmt met
GERM 2AB & Foreign Lang reqmt met
GERM 100 & Foreign Lang reqmt met
Government – US Constitution D3b, 3 units 3 None
Government – Comparative D1a, 3 units 3 None
History – US A3, 3 units 3 HIST 17A
History – European D1a or C1, 3 units 3 HIST 4 & 5
History – World C1, 3 units 3 HIST 51
Italian C3 & C4, 3 units 0 ITAL 2A
Japanese C3 & C4, 3 units 0 JAPN 2A
Latin - Virgil C3, 3 units 3 LATN 2 & Foreign Lang reqmt met
Latin - Literature C3, 3 units 3 LATN 2 & Foreign Lang reqmt met
Music Listening & Lit None 6 None
Music Theory C2, 3 units 3 MUSC 6
Physics B B1 & B3, 3 units each 0 None
Physics C B1 & B3, 3 units each 0 None
With a score of 3, 4, or 5
D1a, 3 units
Spanish Language
With score of 3
With score of 4
With score of 5
C3 & C4, 3 units each
C3 & C4, 3 units each
C3 & C4, 3 units each
SPAN 2A & Foreign Lang reqmt met
SPAN 2B & Foreign Lang reqmt met
SPAN 42, 47 & Foreign Lang reqmt met
Spanish Literature C3 & C4, 3 units each 0 None
Statistics B4, 3 units 3 STAT 1

*If a student passes more than one AP exam in calculus or computer science, only one examination may be applied to the baccalaureate.
**If a student passes more than one AP exam in physics, only six units of credit may be applied to the baccalaureate, and only four units of credit may be applied to a certification in GE Breadth.

Back to Top

How do I get AP credit into my Sac State record?
Contact the College Board at: (212) 713-8000 or and ask them to send the report of your AP scores to the Office of the University Registrar, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6048

How do IB courses count?
Scores of 4, 5, 6, or 7 on Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) courses in high school will be awarded credit as shown below. No credit is given for Standard Level IB courses.

Use of International Baccalaureate Credit
IB Course GE Area, Units Elec Course Equivalents
Biology B2 & B3, 3 units 4 BIO 10 & 31
Chemistry B1, B3, & B5, 8 units 0 None
Economics D1a, 3 units 3 ECON 1A & 1B
History: Americas C1 & D3, 3 units each None HIST 51
Language A1 - English A2, C3 3 ENGL 1A
Language B - French
With a score of 4
With a score of 5-7
None 4 FREN 2A & For. Lan. reqmt. met
None 4 FREN 2B & For. Lan. reqmt. met
Language B - English Not accepted for credit
Language B - Spanish      
With a score of 4 None 4 SPAN 2A & For. Lan. reqmt. met
With a score of 5 None 4 SPAN 2B & For. Lan. reqmt. met
With a score of 6 or 7 None 6 SPAN 42, 47 & For. Lan. reqmt. met
Math B4 & B5, 3 units each 0 MATH 24 & STAT 1
Psychology D1a, 3 units 0  

How do I get IB college credit into my Sac State record?
Contact International Baccalaureate Organization at (212) 696-4464 or and ask them to send a transcript to the Office of the University Registrar, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6048.


Where do I get the Class Schedule?
The class schedule is available online through “My Sac State”. Information on registration, fees, GE, academic requirements, and advising is included in this Student Registration and Advising Guide:

How do I get a Sacramento State Catalog?
The catalog is available online at

What are “catalog rights” and how are they determined?
Undergraduate students maintaining continuous enrollment (one semester per calendar year or two quarters per academic year) in any combination of California Community Colleges and campuses of the California State University system receive “catalog rights” which determine their graduation requirements. Students may choose the requirements in effect at (1) the year they began their study at a California Community College or CSU campus (after high school graduation), (2) the year they enter Sac State, or (3) the year they graduate from Sac State.

Once catalog rights are established, absence due to attendance at another accredited institution of higher learning is not considered an interruption, providing the absence does not exceed two years.

Can I choose a different catalog for my major than for GE?
Yes, every student has two catalogs: GE catalog and major catalog. While the GE catalog is determined by the earliest enrollment and continued attendance (defined above), the major catalog is often assigned as the term of admission to Sac State. For the major, students may choose to follow any of the catalogs listed: GE catalog, admissions catalog, or the catalog at graduation.

Back to Top


Will I be dropped from a class if I stop attending?
No. It is the student’s responsibility to drop. Students who fail to officially drop a class may receive an “F” or “WU” grade - both of which carry zero grade points and will lower the GPA. See Grades FAQs for more information on WU grades.

How do I drop a class?

  • First 2 weeks - Drop by logging on to My Sac State until the drop deadline, the end of the second week of classes. Approval is only needed for those courses that indicate “Instructor/Department Consent required.”
  • Weeks 3-6 - During this period students must describe the seriousness of the circumstances that necessitate dropping and get the approval of the instructor and department chair on a Drop Petition. Most departments require verifying documents, such as a letter from a doctor or supervisor. In weeks 3 & 4, drop forms are turned in to the department office and no grade is given. In weeks 5 & 6, forms are turned in to the Office of the University Registrar and “W” grades are assigned.
  • Week 7 through the last day of classes - It is more difficult to drop classes after the sixth week. The drop petition requires signatures from the instructor, the department chair, and the dean of the college which offers the class. Students are required to have a letter from a doctor or supervisor stating that a medical or work-related circumstances are beyond the control of the student. Turn in forms to the Office of the University Registrar; a “W” grade will be assigned.
  • Finals Week - No drops allowed.

How is dropping a class different from withdrawing?
Individual classes are dropped. Withdrawals involve the removal of all classes from a given semester. See Withdrawing FAQs.

Do late drop "W's" count toward the maximum of 18 units of "W's?"


Why must I take the ELM and/or EPT exams?
Entering first year students must take the Entry Level Math Exam (ELM) and English Placement Test (EPT) unless they are exempt because of SAT scores, AP scores, or college courses. This policy is strictly enforced - if students don’t take these required tests they will not be allowed to register for any classes at Sacramento State. Students should take these tests at least two months before New Student Orientation. Depending on the ELM/EPT score, students may be required to enroll in the preparatory course(s) that corresponds with the score.

May I retake either test (ELM or EPT)?
Students may retake the ELM, but not the EPT. Students must enroll in - and attend - the courses determined by ELM/EPT score. Students who retake the ELM and pass it, may drop the preparatory math course.

What happens if I don’t register for my required preparatory class?
Students who do not register for the preparatory class will not be able to continue at Sac State unless all preparatory classes are successfully completed in the first academic year.

How do I know which preparatory course to take?
Check the chart below to see which English and/or math course must be taken. Multilingual students will have an English Diagnostic Test (EDT) score that determines placement in a multilingual version of the English courses. Check the chart for multilingual students.

English Placement Test Scores and Courses - Not Multilingual
EPT Score Required Course
120-141 ENGL 10 and ENGL 11
142-145 ENGL 1
146 ENGL 1A with ENGL 1X
147 & above ENGL 1A must be passed with "C-" or better in the first or second semester

English Placement Test Scores and Courses - Multilingual
EPT and EDT Score Required Course
120-141, EDT=3 ENGL 86 and ENGL 87 or ENGL 10M and ENGL 11M
142-145, EDT=4 ENGL 87
146, EDT=5 ENGL 2
147 & above and EDT=5 ENGL 2 must be passed with “C-” or better in the first or second semester

Entry Level Math Exam Scores and Courses
ELM Score Required Course
34 or below LS 7A followed by LS 7B
36-42 LS 10A
44-48 LS 10A Elementary Algebra with Geometry
OR Math 9 with LS 10X Essentials of Algebra and Trigonometry, with accompanying tutorial; recommended for all science majors and engineering majors, as well as Business Administration, Liberal Studies, and Child Development majors
50 & above Appropriate GE math course (consult advisor)


Do I have to stay enrolled in my preparatory class?
Yes, you must attend the class and do the work. If you fail to attend and ignore the warnings from the instructor, you will not be allowed to continue taking classes at Sacramento State.

What if I don’t pass one of my required preparatory classes?
Failure to pass all required preparatory courses within the first year will result in disqualification from Sacramento State. Students will not be able to return to Sac State until they pass college-level GE math and/or English courses at the community college. If students fail the first course of a required two-course sequence they may attend the next semester and repeat the failed course. See an advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, for more information.



What is the English 20 requirement?
Every student is required to take a second semester English composition course which has English 1A as a prerequisite. Sac State offers two courses to meet this requirement:

  • ENGL 20, College Composition II;
  • ENGL 20M, College Composition II - Multilingual

When should I take English 20?
Students must complete 30 semester units before enrolling in English 20.

Does English 20 also meet the Critical Thinking requirement?
No, English 20 does not satisfy the Critical Thinking requirement (GE Area A3).

Can I meet the English 20 requirement with a D grade?
No, a minimum “C-” grade is required in English 20.

I received a D (or F) grade in English 20 - can I repeat it at a community college?
No, English 20 cannot be repeated at a community college. There is no equivalent course.

I’m an English major – do I have to take English 20?
No, English majors are not required to take English 20. The English 20 requirement will be met in their major.


Can the Foreign Language requirement be met with courses from high school?
Yes, 3 years of one language or completion of the 3rd year equivalent of one language with a “C-” grade or better satisfies the foreign language requirement. Send official high school transcripts to the Office of the University Registrar, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6048.

How does the “second semester course" work?
Students can take a two semester sequence of a language or first-year students may choose to take the second semester of the language they took in high school. Second-semester language courses are available at your My Sac State online class schedule.

I took 2 years of one language and one year of another language in high school.
Unfortunately this combination does not fulfill the requirement. Consider taking a second semester foreign language course.

I took 2 years of Spanish and 2 years of French in high school.
Yes, 2 years of one language and 2 years of another language will fulfill the requirement, as long as students earn at least “C-” grades in the second year of both languages.

Do I have to take a placement test to get into language courses?
No. To determine the best course placement in a foreign language, consider taking the online Language Placement Tests at Tests are available for Spanish and French courses. Placement exams are given in the first class in all language courses above 1A.

Who should take Spanish 1C?
Spanish 1C, Intensive Beginning Spanish, is intended for students who had two years of Spanish in high school or two semesters in college, and need a complete review. Like SPAN 1B, SPAN 1C is considered a second semester course.

Does American Sign Language (ASL) count?
Yes, ASL courses may be used to meet the foreign language requirement. ASL courses offered at Sac State are listed as EDS 51 and 52.

What are the grade requirements for the foreign language requirement?
A minimum “C-” grade is required in the course used to fulfill the foreign language requirement.

Can I take a language test instead of a class?
Yes, Sacramento State offers proficiency tests in Cantonese, French, German, and Spanish.
To be tested in a language other than those listed, go to the Foreign Language Department, Mariposa Hall 2051, (916) 278-6333 or to find a referral for testing in that language.

I’m already fluent in another language.
For students who are proficient in a language other than English, please go to the Foreign Language Department in Mariposa Hall 2051 to discuss options. Students who attended a high school where the language of instruction was not English may provide a transcript from that high school to the Student Services Center in the Lassen Hall lobby.

Can I receive credit for taking the same language courses at Sac State that I took in high school?

Back to Top


Where can I find out which English and Math course I should take?
English and math placement is determined by ELM/EPT scores. Please see the ELM/EPT FAQs for course options.

Should I take a First Year Seminar class?
Yes. The First Year seminar course helps students learn how the University works, meet other first year students, and learn to be academically successful while fulfilling the GE Area E requirement.

What are Learning Communities?
Learning Communities group 25 first year students together in 2 or 3 classes. Some Learning Communities include a First Year Seminar.

How can I apply for the Honors Program?
Contact the Honors Program at the following Web site:

How do I get on the Dean's Honor List?
First year students need a 3.0 semester GPA; sophomores, juniors, and seniors need a 3.25 semester GPA. Students must complete at least 12 units of graded credit in a semester to be eligible for the Dean's Honor List.

Should I finish my GE requirements before taking courses for my major?
Students who have a declared major should take some courses from that major along with GE courses. Undeclared students can focus on GE while exploring major options.

How does advising work?
Students are required to see an advisor each semester during their first year. First year students, will see an advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, unless their major requires departmental advising. Students will be notified via e-mail or My Sac State when it is time to schedule the first year advising appointment.

When do I become a sophomore?
Sophomore standing occurs after successfully completing 30 semester units. This may take longer than 2 semesters for students who take preparatory English and/or math courses.

Is it possible to graduate in 4 years?
Students who wish to graduate in 4 years need to take 15 units per semester. This takes persistence, planning, and financial support. Consult with a major advisor and/or an advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center for help in setting up a plan.

I have a job - how many classes should I take?
Working too many hours and taking too many classes is the most common reason students are on probation. Below are listed recommendations for balancing work and school:

  • working less than 15 hours per week >> OK to take 5 classes;
  • working up to 24 hours per week >> Limit to 4 classes;
  • working up to 30 hours per week >> Limit to 3 classes;
  • working up to 40 hours per week >> Limit to 2 classes.

Back to Top


What are the General Education (GE) requirements?

  • Complete 48 units in 5 areas of GE, A-E.
  • The 48 GE units must include at least 9 units of upper division GE courses. At Sac State upper division are courses numbered 100-199. (Community college courses are all lower division, regardless of the course number.)
  • 9 units in GE must be taken in residence at Sacramento State.
  • Every student must take one Race and Ethnicity in American Society course.
  • Every student must take one Writing Intensive course.
  • Please fill out the GE Worksheet to keep track of your progress.

When should I take my 3 required upper division GE courses?
Students may overlap upper division GE courses with major requirements. For more information about fulfilling upper division GE requirements, please consult with advisors in the Academic Advising and Career Center.

Do I take my GE courses or graduation requirements in any particular order?
Highly Recommended:

  • Complete Area A (Oral Communication, Composition, and Critical Thinking) and Area B4 (Quantitative Reasoning) as early as possible.
  • Undeclared students should concentrate early on GE courses. GE courses allow students to explore major options.


  • Students must complete 30 units before taking English 20.
  • You must complete the WPJ, ENGL 109M or ENGL 109W before you can take a Writing Intensive course.

Why must I take GE courses?
There are many benefits of General Education courses:

  • GE courses introduce students to areas of interest and may influence major and/or career choice.
  • GE improves writing, speaking, and critical thinking skills.
  • GE courses provide knowledge and breadth which are also valued by employers.
  • The GE program helps students better understand and relate to diverse individuals and groups.

How do I keep track of my progress in GE?
The Academic Requirements tab is available on My Sac State for students as soon as they register. The Academic Requirements tab provides students with an electronic version of their general education and major requirements. Students can go to the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, if they have questions about GE or have questions about information on their Academic Requirements tab.

Are there any common mistakes in GE?
There are several common mistakes to avoid:

  • Don’t take only GE courses – mix GE with major courses.
  • There are no upper division courses at community colleges.
  • Don’t assume any course is approved for GE-check the list of approved GE classes.

Can I get D grades in GE courses?
It depends on the GE area. “D” and “D-” grades are not allowed in the following GE areas:

  • Area A1 – Oral Communication
  • Area A2 – Written Communication
  • Area A3 – Critical Thinking
  • Area B4 – Quantitative Reasoning

Keep in mind - a 2.0 GPA is required in GE.

I completed my GE at XYZ College, so am I finished with GE?
No. Every student who transfers to Sac State must take 9 units of GE at Sac State. The 9 units should be upper division and include a Race & Ethnicity in American Society course and a Writing Intensive course. For help, see the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen 1013.

Back to Top

I have an “IGETC” certification from my CCC, have I finished my GE?
An IGETC or “Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum” certification exempts students from additional lower division GE requirements. An IGETC certification also exempts students from the English 20 requirement. Students must have an IGETC certification sent from their community college. IGETC certified students are still responsible for:

  • 9 units upper division GE;
  • a Writing Intensive course;
  • a Race and Ethnicity in American Society course;
  • History and Government requirements;
  • Foreign Language requirement.

Do GE requirements change for different majors?
The Liberal Studies major incorporates all GE requirements in the major. See LIBS advisors in Lassen 2008. Engineering majors are exempt from some of the area requirements – talk with an advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen 1013 and check the Engineering GE Worksheet, available online at to learn more.

Does U.S. History count for Race and Ethnicity in American Society?
History 17A or 17B taken at Sac State or Sierra College meets the Race and Ethnicity in American Society Requirement.

Can a course I take for the Foreign Language requirement also apply to GE?
Check the online GE course list in the Catalog at for the most up-to-date information. Some foreign language courses at California community colleges also meet GE requirements.


Students who begin their second year on academic probation are required to meet with an advisor twice a semester and attend a workshop. Advisors contact students directly.


How do I calculate my GPA?
Students can look up their GPA on My Sac State. A GPA is calculated by dividing your hours attempted into your grade points. The number of grade points received for each unit taken is based on the grade earned.
A = 4.0, A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3, D = 1.0, D- = 0.7
F = 0
For help calculating your GPA, try the GPA calculator online at

What should I do about an “I” grade?
An “I” grade is assigned when a student has completed most of the requirements for a course. The instructor should make a written agreement with the student stating what is required to complete the course and finish the work in the time specified.

What happens to “I” grades?
“I” grades lapse to “F” grades after one year if they are not completed. Courses in which a student has received an "I" grade cannot be repeated until a letter grade is posted.

What should I do if I receive a WU grade?
“WU” grades are unofficial withdrawals. “WU” grades are calculated as “F” grades in the GPA. A student may file a “WU” deletion petition the first time “WU” grades are received.

Is there a deadline for a WU deletion petition?
Yes. The "WU" must be deleted prior to posting of the degree.

Are D grades acceptable in my major courses?
Check with a major department advisor for minimum grade requirements in the major.

Can I take courses Credit/No Credit Option?
Any course may be taken CR/NC. However, courses taken CR/NC may NOT be used for GE, graduation, and/or major/minor requirements. Courses taken for CR/NC may ONLY be used for elective credit. CR/NC petitions must be submitted before the end of the fourth week of classes. If you earn a “C-” or above in the course you will receive a CR grade; lower than a “C-” will result in NC. CR and NC grades do not affect your GPA.

Can I “audit” a course?
Auditors do not receive any credit for their work. Students must have the instructor’s permission to add the course as an auditor.

Back to Top


What requirements are necessary to graduate?
Graduation requirements are listed below:

  • 120 units minimum required for the BA/BS degree
  • General Education (48 units)
  • Major (units vary – widely!)
  • College Composition II requirement (English 20 minimum "C-" grade required)
  • Foreign Language requirement (minimum "C-" grade required)
  • Race and Ethnicity in American Society requirement
  • Writing Placement for Juniors or ENGL 109M or ENGL 109W (minimum "C-" grade required)
  • Writing Intensive course (minimum "C-" grade required)
  • Upper division unit requirement (40 units)
  • Residence requirement (30 units)

How do I apply to graduate?
Refer to Graduation Filing Dates at for information on filing the graduation application. To apply online, see the list of majors at

What if I need help applying to graduate?
The instructions are available online at Here’s where to go for more help:

  • Questions about the major - see a major department advisor.
  • Questions regarding GE or graduation requirements - see the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013.

If I miss the deadline, can I still graduate?
Any student may participate in the commencement ceremony. A student does not officially graduate until all requirements have been successfully completed.

What if I don’t complete all my requirements as planned?
Any changes to the major graduation application must be processed through the Degree Evaluations Office. If coursework cannot be completed by the semester of graduation, the student should submit a request to change their date of graduation and pay the appropriate fee. Forms are available online at

I have one more course to take – can I still graduate?
Students often confuse graduating with the commencement ceremony. Any student may participate in commencement, however, a student does not actually graduate until all requirements are complete.

When do I get my diploma?
Diplomas are usually mailed two months after graduation.

Back to Top

What will be on my diploma?
An example of the diploma wording is listed below. Minors are not listed on the diploma.

Mary Smith
Bachelor of Science
Business Administration
Cum Laude


What’s the Dean’s Honor list and how do I get on it?
The Dean’s Honor list is recognition of high academic achievement that is part of a student’s permanent record. Semester honors are awarded and the notation “Dean’s Honor List” is posted to the permanent academic record for first-year students earning a 3.00 GPA and other undergraduates earning a 3.25 GPA. Students must complete a minimum of 12 graded units with no “I” grades and no grades lower than “C-.”

How do I graduate with honors?
The following recognition is on the diploma of students who have completed at least 30 graded units at Sacramento State and fall in these GPA ranges, based on courses taken at Sacramento State:

  • 3.50 - 3.74 Cum Laude
  • 3.75 - 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
  • 3.90 - 4.00 Summa Cum Laude

I’ve heard about honor societies - what are they? Do we have them at Sac State?
Membership in national honor societies is a formal recognition of outstanding academic achievement. Sacramento State is affiliated with two honor societies, Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key. Some majors are also affiliated with honor societies related to that major; check the list of departmental organizations online at for more information.


Note: At Sacramento State “lower division” courses are numbered 1-99; “upper division” courses are numbered 100-199.

Can I use a course from my major for GE requirements?
There is unlimited overlap between your major and GE courses.

Can courses from my minor also apply to GE?
There is unlimited overlap between your minor and GE courses.

Can my Writing Intensive course apply to the 9 unit upper division requirement?
Yes. However, there are some courses that meet the Writing Intensive requirement but do not apply to any GE area or the 9 unit upper division requirement. Check the online catalog for the most up-to-date list at

Can my Writing Intensive course also apply to my major?
If your major does allow overlap between major and Writing Intensive (see list below), then yes. If your major does not allow overlap, then take a Writing Intensive course that will not apply to your major.

Majors That Accept Writing Intensive Course Taken in Major: See your major advisor.

I’m completing a double major and a minor – can some courses apply to all three?
Below are the rules governing overlap between multiple majors and minors:

  • A BA student must have 24 non-overlapping units (including 12 upper division) in the major.
  • A BS student must have 36 non-overlapping units (including 18 upper division) in the major.

Any units above these can be used in a second major and/or minor.

Back to Top


What are the differences between my 3 GPAs?
There are 3 GPAs:

  • Current GPA is based on the grades received in the current semester.
  • Sac State GPA is based on all courses taken at Sac State.
  • Cumulative (CUM) GPA is based on all college courses taken.

CR/NC grades and grades in remedial and non-transferable courses are not included in any GPAs.

What is “academic standing?”

  • Good Standing – Sac State GPA and Cumulative GPA are at or above 2.0.
  • Probation – The first time the Sac State GPA or Cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 but above class level limits (see below for class level limits).
  • Continued Probation – The Sac State GPA and Cumulative GPA are still below a 2.0 but above the class level limits.
  • Disqualification – The Sac State GPA and/or Cumulative GPA falls below class level limits. The class level limits are: First year students must have at least a Sac State and CUM GPA of 1.5; Sophomores must have a 1.70 GPA; Juniors must have a 1.85 GPA; Seniors must have a 1.95 GPA.
  • Dismissal – Students are dismissed after failure to meet the conditions of a reinstatement contract. Dismissed students sit out at least one semester and must file a “Readmission after Dismissal” petition to return
  • Second Dismissal – Students dismissed for the second time must sit out two years before they are eligible to apply for readmission.

How do I get back to Good Standing?
Students on Probation or Continued Probation, should repeat “F” and “WU” grades in order to improve their GPA. Students should talk with an advisor in their major and/or an advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, about changes that you can make to be more successful.

What usually causes students to go on probation and get disqualified?
The NUMBER ONE reason is working too many hours for the number of units being taken.

If I work how many units should I take?
The Academic Advising and Career Center suggests that students follow these guidelines:

  • working less than 15 hours per week >> OK to take 5 classes;
  • working up to 24 hours per week >> Limit to 4 classes;
  • working up to 30 hours per week >> Limit to 3 classes;
  • working up to 40 hours per week >> Limit to 2 classes.

Consider attending one of the Study Skills/Time Management Workshops which are listed online at or contact the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen 1013, (916) 278-6351.

What if I get Disqualified?
Students who are disqualified are considered for reinstatement on a space available basis. Please check the following site for updates regarding reinstatement petitions:

What if I get Dismissed?
Students who are dismissed are considered for readmission on a space available basis. Please check the following site for updates regarding readmission petitions:

Back to Top


What is the policy on repeating courses?

  • Students may not repeat courses where an “I” grade has been previously assigned unless the “I” grade has lapsed or a grade of “C-” or lower has been assigned.
  • Students may not repeat courses where a grade of “C” or higher was previously received unless the course may be taken more than once for credit, or whose academic program – major requires a grade higher than a “C”.
  • Students will be prevented from enrolling in a course where the grade previously earned is a C or better (or Credit), or an “I” grade that has not lapsed.
  • Students may repeat no more than a total of 28 units.
  • Students may repeat a maximum of 16 units for grade forgiveness.
  • Courses taken prior to Fall 2010 will not count towards the 16 units of grade forgiveness.
  • Students may repeat an individual course for grade forgiveness no more than two times without review and written approval by your academic advisor and/or department chair.
  • Students may repeat an additional 12 units for grade average beyond the 16 units of forgiveness, a maximum of 28 total units.

A Petition for Exception to the Undergraduate Repeat Policy will be available during Late Registration. Please check the Registrar’s Web site for availability. The Repeat Policy is applicable to all undergraduate students and applies only to courses taken at Sacramento State. Please note that students will be blocked at registration from attempting to enroll in courses where a grade of “I” or “C” or higher has been received.

When should I repeat a course?
Students should repeat courses for which they received an “F” or “WU”. For students on probation, the fastest way to improve your GPA is to repeat “F”, “WU”, or “D” grades.

When I repeat a course is the first grade deleted from my record?
The grade is not deleted but is removed from your GPA, provided it is within the number of units allotted.

Are there any limitations to repeating a class?
Yes. See the Academic Advising and Career Center online at for the most current information.

Does a WU grade which was deleted count for the number of times I have taken a course?
No, a deleted “WU” grade does not count as an attempt.

I received a D in a GE course… do I have to repeat it?
“D” grades are acceptable in GE courses, except in Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4 (Oral Communication, Written Communication, Critical Thinking, and Quantitative Reasoning). A minimum “C-” grade is also necessary for the foreign language requirement, English 20, and Writing Intensive course.

I received a D grade in one of my major I have to repeat it?
It depends on the major - see the major department.

Can a D grade be used to satisfy the Foreign Language requirement?
Students must earn at least a “C-” in the course used to fulfill the Foreign Language requirement.

Can I repeat courses after I graduate?
Yes, however grades earned after graduation are not calculated into the GPA.

Back to Top


How do I know if my transfer courses meet my major requirements?
Bring unofficial transcripts to your major department for review. A major advisor will be able to tell you which courses from your transfer school will meet requirements in the major.

How do I find out which GE requirements are remaining?
Check the Academic Requirements tab on My Sac State.

Where do I get help in figuring out how to complete my GE?
Advisors in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, will provide students with the help they need to complete their GE requirements.


How many units do I need to graduate?
The minimum units for a bachelor’s degree is 120 semester units.

How many units can I transfer from my community college?
All transferable units from the community college will transfer to Sac State. However, only 70 semester units from a community college may count toward the overall 120 units for the Bachelor’s degree.

What is the “residence” requirement?
To get a degree from Sac State a student must complete 30 units in residence. Included in that 30 units are other residence requirements:

  • 24 upper division units
  • 12 upper division units in your major (15 in Business, English, and Psychology)
  • 9 units in GE

How many of the units must be upper division?
Every student must take 40 units of upper division coursework, of which 9 units must be GE courses. Sac State upper division courses are numbered 100-199.

Is it true that some courses will not transfer to Sacramento State?
Courses that are considered remedial or developmental do not always transfer. Types of courses include:

  • preparatory (remedial) courses in math and English;
  • vocational courses (not offered at Sac State);
  • courses from non-accredited colleges.

Back to Top


What are the consequences of withdrawing?
The maximum number of "W" units allowed during a student's academic career in the CSU system is 18 units. For more information, visit the University Registrar's website at

How do I withdraw from school?
During the first two weeks of school, go to the Student Services Counter in the Lassen Hall Lobby. After the second week of classes, go to the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013.

What if I can’t come to campus to file the withdrawal form?
It’s best to discuss withdrawing with an advisor, but if this is not possible, students can download the instructions and withdrawal form at Fax the withdrawal form to the number listed on the form - and confirm receipt by checking your record a few days later.

When is it a good idea to withdraw?
Usually students withdraw because a change in their circumstances prevents them from devoting the time and focus they need to succeed in school. For questions related to withdrawing, please contact the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen 1013.

Can I get a refund if I withdraw?
Refunds depend on when a student withdraws:

  • before classes begin - full refund (less the $10 processing fee)
  • from beginning of classes to the 60% date in semester (in 9th week) - prorated refund
  • after 60% date - no refund

More information on refunds can be found online at

Do I have to reapply to return to Sac State?
Individual situations vary, see an advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013 for more information.

Are there any disadvantages to withdrawing?
Students are limited to a maximum number of units that they can withdraw from beginning Fall 2010. Visit the University Registrar's website at for the most current information.

Back to Top


What is the WPJ?
The WPJ, Writing Placement for Juniors, is a timed essay that places students into an upper division writing class. This placement essay is completed at the point a student has passed ENGL 20 with a C- and has Junior standing (60 units). The WPJ may only be taken once. The score received on the exam determines placement into the appropriate writing course. Students must successfully complete a Writing Intensive course to satisfy the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).

Do I have to take the WPJ?
No. Students have the option to take the WPJ or enroll in ENGL 109M or 109W.

How many times can I take the WPJ?

What’s the difference between English 109W and 109M?
English 109W is for native speakers of English; English 109M is for those who learned English as a second language and who have scored 4 or higher on the English Diagnostic Test.

What is the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)?
The Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement is a California State University graduation requirement. At Sacramento State, this requirement is satisfied when students complete the Writing Intensive course.

What is a Writing Intensive course?
One course designated as Writing Intensive is required for graduation. These courses are identified with an asterisk (*) in the General Education listing. Check with your major department; some students have the option of completing a course in their major. In order to enroll in a Writing Intensive course, you must have completed GE Areas A2, A3, College Composition II (our ENGL 20), and the WPJ or ENGL 109M or ENGL 190W.

Where can I get more information?
Visit the GWAR Web site for more information.


Call the Academic Advising and Career Center at (916) 278-6351.


Students who are not able to complete the semester because of unforeseen circumstances may withdraw from the University by filing a Withdrawal form. Forms may be downloaded at Students who stop attending classes without withdrawing, may be assigned “F” or “WU” grades in all courses. A maximum of 18 units of withdrawals (W's) may be used in the the academic career of any CSU system student.

Note: Refunds are prorated based on date of withdrawal. See for information on refunds.

Procedures for Withdrawal from all Classes

  • Fall 2013: Through September 13, 2012
  • Spring 2014: Through February 7, 2013

Submit official withdrawal forms at the Student Services Counter, LSN Hall, first floor. You do not need to drop each course individually. Students may obtain instructions and forms online at

  • Fall 2013: September 16 - November 22, 2012
  • Spring 2014: February 10 - April 25, 2013

Obtain and submit official withdrawal forms in the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, (916) 278-6351. Students who are unable to obtain the forms in person may obtain instructions and forms online at

  • During the LAST three weeks of SEMESTER
  • Fall 2013: November 25 - December 13, 2012
  • Spring 2014: April 28 - May 16, 2013

Official withdrawals from all classes are not processed during the last three weeks of classes except for verifiable medical emergencies that occur after the twelfth week. Withdrawals from all classes during the last three weeks of classes are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

  • During FINAL EXAM Week

Withdrawals are not accepted after the last day of classes, December 13, 2013 for Fall semester and May 16, 2014 for Spring semester. Students should contact individual instructors to determine if arrangements can be made to receive an “Incomplete” grade.

If you have questions about withdrawing from all classes, contact the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013, (916) 278-6351.