Human Subjects Guidelines
The department-level human subjects committee is meant to facilitate the protection of human research subjects, the University and faculty, as well as student researchers. The policy of the University is that any research or related activity involving human subjects must be reviewed by a Committee for the Projection of Human Subjects. To review University CPHS policies, especially in regards to issues of risk, please visit their web page. The University CPHS answers your frequently asked questions about human subjects research.
What studies need to be reviewed? The short answer is that all research involving human subjects (including Master's Theses and course-based research in which students interact with participants outside of the course) should be reviewed. When in doubt, fill out the form below! However, research conducted by students within an established CSUS course and in which the only participants are other students in the same course does not need to be reviewed. Similarly, research in which the students in a course observe the public behavior of others but do not interact with them also does not need review. It is the responsibility of the course instructor to be sure that appropriate research procedures are followed.
The departmental-level human subjects committee must examine all proposals for in-class teaching projects and student research. The committee can approve "exempt" proposals, but any higher level of risk must be forwarded to the university-level CPHS after departmental review. To review University CPHS policies, especially in regards to issues of risk, please visit their web page.
- Example of a "Minimal Risk" interview study.
- Example of a "Minimal Risk" survey study.
- Example of an "At Risk" study.
CSUS Sociology Department Human Subjects Committee
Proposal Submission Deadlines
Academic Year 2013-2014
|Sociology Department Deadline||CSUS Committee Deadline|
|Monday, August 26, 2013 at 5:00pm
Monday, September 23, 2013 at 5:00pm
Monday, October 21, 2013 at 5:00pm
Monday, November 11, 2013 at 5:00pm
Monday, January 13, 2014 at 5:00pm
Monday, February 17, 2014 at 5:00pm
Monday, March 17, 2014 at 5:00pm
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 5:00pm
|Tuesday, September 9, 2013 at 12pm
Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12pm
Monday, November 4, 2013 at 12pm
Monday, November 25, 2013 at 12pm
Monday, January 27, 2014 at 12pm
Monday, March 3, 2014 at 12pm
Monday, April 1, 2014 at 12pm
Monday, April 28, 2014 at 12pm
|NOTE: Neither committee meets or reviews proposals in the summer.
Human Subjects Committee Chair: Charlie Varano (email@example.com)
Committee Members: Jennifer Murphy, Todd Migiliaccio
- You MUST have your form reviewed by your advisor BEFORE you submit it to the department HSC.
- You MUST COMPLETE the process with the department HSC before submitting your information to the University CPHS.
- Download the University CPHS form.
- Complete the University form in conjunction with your faculty sponsor. Your sponsor must sign off on the completed form.
- Paste the information from the University form into the appropriate boxes for the departmental form below and press "submit."
- You will receive an email response confirming the receipt of the form.
The committee will review the proposal at the next meeting and will inform you of the results.