English Writing Tutorial
The SSWD counselor will refer eligible students for supplemental writing tutorial services as part of the SSWD TRIO Student Support Services Program (SSSP) for students with disabilities. Instruction in English language development addresses the major areas of a student's deficit and may include critical thinking skills, vocabulary development, word decoding, organization of ideas, logical presentation of these ideas, grammar, verb tense and spelling.
The writing instructor will review the referral and provide supplemental instruction or assist a student’s tutor with a better understanding of effective tutoring strategies appropriate to the student's specific disabilities. The writing service is provided as a one-to-one tutorial throughout the semester.
The tutors and the writing instructor will help students in the following areas:
- Become a better writer
- Locate and discuss errors
- Give feedback on focus, organization, and clarity
- Help with brainstorming ideas
- Strategies for the Writing Placement for Juniors (formerly Writing Proficiency Exam)
Other general writing resources on campus available for all students include the Writing Center.
A Workshop on Strategies for the WPJ
SSWD also provides workshops for eligible students with disabilities preparing for the Writing Placement (for) Juniors, a Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement option. Information about signing up for workshops is posted in the SSWD office at the beginning of each semester. Information for the latest scheduled workshop is as follows:
- What: A WORKSHOP ON STRATEGIES FOR THE WPJ, Presented by SSWD TRIO Writing Skills Instructor Diane DeSmet
- Strategies for the WPJ
- Mock WPJ
- Feedback on your practice essay
- When: by appointment
- Individual appointments for the WPJ prep may be arranged. Please see your SSWD counselor for a referral. Students will receive feedback on their practice essay from an English tutor/instructor during a scheduled follow-up meeting.
- For more information contact Diane DeSmet in SSWD at (916)278-6955 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To preview workshop contents: WPJ Workshop for Students with Disabilities
SSWD English Writing services are contingent upon availability of federal grant funds.
Please inform SSWD at email@example.com if you encounter any problems accessing the SSWD web site.