Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 states that Sacramento State may not impose upon students with disabilities rules that have the effect of limiting their participation in education programs or activities, such as the prohibition of tape recorders, digital recorders or Braillers in the classrooms. Therefore the policy and attached form is approved for use by students wishing to audio record.
AUDIO-RECORDING OF CLASS LECTURES
The Office of Services to Students with Disabilities (SSWD), where appropriate, and subject to the approval of the SSWD Counselor or LD Specialist, may authorize that a student with a qualifying disability be permitted to audio record class lectures as a form of academic accommodation. Use of the accommodation of audio recording class lectures is subject to the following conditions:
- Audio files of class lectures are only for the student's personal use in study and preparation related to the class.
- The student may not share these audio files with any other person, whether or not that person is in his/her class.
- The student acknowledges that the audio files are sources, the use of which in any academic work is governed by rules of academic conduct for his or her School or College.
- The student agrees to destroy any audio files that were made when they are no longer needed for his/ her academic work.
- Students who have been granted permission to audio record class lectures as an accommodation must agree in writing to abide by each of these provisions.
Students will be required to sign the following Agreement Regarding Audio Recording of Class Lectures:
Services to Students with Disabilities (SSWD) has recommended that I [name of student] be permitted to audio record certain class lectures as a form of academic accommodation. As a condition of using the accommodation of audio recording class lectures, I hereby agree to the following:
- I will use audio files of class lectures solely for my personal use in study and preparation related to the class.
- I will not share these audio files with any other person, whether or not that person is in my class.
- I acknowledge that the audio files are sources, the use of which in any academic work is governed by rules of academic conduct for my School or College.
- I will destroy any audio files that I was permitted to make when I no longer need them for my academic work.
- I understand that failure to abide by these provisions may result in loss of permission to audio record class lectures.
I was informed of, and understand the SSWD Audio Recording Policy, and I have a copy of the policy.
Student’s Name (please print) _____________________________________________
Student’s Signature ___________________________ Date ____________________