Workforce Recruitment Program
Applications for the 2014 Workforce Recruitment Program are now closed.
Please contact your school's Campus Coordinator for more information on the program.
WHAT IS THE WORKFORCE RECRUITMENT PROGRAM?
The Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) is an employment recruitment program for college students with disabilities in search of local and national summer jobs/full-time employment with federal agencies and private sector employers. The WRP provides opportunities for individuals to market their abilities to a wide variety of potential employers across the United States, sharpen their interviewing skills, gain valuable work experience, and establish job contacts. The WRP is co-sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) and the U.S. Department of Defense’s Office of Diversity Management & Equal Opportunity (ODMEO) with support from other federal agencies.
How Does the Program Work?
Eligible applicants interested in this recruitment program can enter their information into the WRP employment database. The database will include contact information, degree, major, GPA, job location preference, interview notes, resume, transcripts, and potential accommodation needs for students.
In December 2013, the database is available to all employers registered nationwide with the WRP. Both federal employers and private companies will be selecting candidates from the database for interviews throughout the year for summer/temporary or permanent positions across the United States.
Who is Eligible?
An applicant for the WRP must:
- be registered with and/or receive accommodations through the Services to Students with Disabilities Office
- have an intellectual disability, severe physical disability, or psychiatric disability which makes the applicant eligible to use the Schedule A hiring authority*
- be a United States citizen
- be enrolled on a full-time basis (unless the severity of the disability precludes the student from taking a substantially full-time load) OR have graduated within the past year. (Students who graduated before October 2012 are not eligible for the WRP)
*To be eligible to use the Schedule A hiring authority, a candidate must be able to provide supporting documentation, referred to as a Schedule A Letter (see attachments below for more information regarding Schedule A eligibility and a sample letter). A Schedule A Letter may be completed by a licensed medical professional, licensed rehabilitation professional, or any agency that provides disability benefits. Although a candidate may not need to provide a Schedule A letter until later in the hiring process, having it upfront and uploading it while applying online will improve the chances of being hired quickly.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING
Please note that the registration/application process is entirely online. If you applied in the past, you must re-apply for the 2014 program. If you are selected for an appointment with the federal recruiter, you will receive an email instructing you to contact the SSWD Office.
- A candidate must register via the Registration link: https://wrp.gov/registerstudent. Registration must be approved by the campus coordinator before a candidate can complete his/her online application. A candidate may be contacted by the campus coordinator to confirm his/her eligibility. Once a candidate’s registration is approved, he/she will receive an email from the WRP with a username and temporary password.
- By using his/her username and temporary password, a candidate needs to go to the WRP website: www.wrp.gov to complete the online application process. The following documents need to be obtained and/or completed by candidates and uploaded online:
- Resume (Required)- Word documents are required – Candidates are highly advised by the WRP to have their resumes reviewed by the Career Center for feedback and proper format. The Career Center is open for 30 minute drop-in appointments from Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
- College Transcript(s) (Required)- Official or unofficial transcripts or copies of transcripts are acceptable. Word or other text documents are strongly encouraged.
- WRP Interview Questions Form (*NEW) (Required) - Candidates must complete this form using the WRP Interview Questions document provided. Answers to these questions will be visible to employers in the database.
- Any additional supporting documents, such as letters of recommendation, writing samples, Schedule A Letter (needs to be provided prior to hiring), etc. (Optional)
- All documents must be uploaded to the Manage Documents Page of the online application in order for a candidate’s application to be complete. All online applications must be completed by November 8, 2013.
Please note that the new deadline for completing the entire application process (including uploading the answers to the interview questions) is November 8, 2013.
- WRP 2014 School Flyer (.doc)
- WRP 2014 Application Requirements (.doc)
- Schedule A Checklist for Students (.doc)
- Sample Schedule A Letter (.doc)
- WRP Interview Questions (.doc)
(These documents are available in alternate formats upon request)
"This has been a great work experience in my major. It has also helped to create valuable contacts for the future." -- C.R., Sac State student and WRP participant
For WRP students requesting assistive technology as part of the WRP program visit: http://www.da.usda.gov/oo/target/wrp/.
For more information or questions about the Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP), please contact email@example.com. Please continue to check back at this web page for updates.
Please inform SSWD at firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter any problems accessing the SSWD web site or if you need these documents in an alternate format.