The complete progression from using simulated instruments to the real instruments usually takes 4 to 8 class sessions:
- Draw the foot chart – both rest position and playing position feet, add name. Make an extra one for home practice.
- Establish instrumental rest position and the ability to get to playing position (and the reverse.)
- Establish a bow hold. Do bow movement exercises (up - down, circles, etc.)
- Hold the stick bow and simulated instrument at the same time.
- Learn to play rhythms and change strings. Practice playing on command keeping the bow direction correct (up/down/angle with the instruments).
- Place the left hand. Learn correct hand position and practice placing fingers properly.
- Learn scale and simple piece fingerings. A piano or violin/viola/cello can provide accompaniment.
- Replace the stick bow with the real bow and repeat all the steps on the pretend instrument.
- Graduate to real instruments.
- Continue with the real instrument, preferably playing by rote until good positions and tone are established.