FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

campus photoWhat does the Office of Student Conduct do?

The Office of Student Conduct (OSC) is responsible for administering the CSU student disciplinary process at Sacramento State and acting on behalf of the University regarding all aspects of student discipline.  The OSC receives reports of alleged student misconduct relative to the Student Code of Conduct, and investigates complaints in order to determine whether the University should pursue disciplinary action.  University disciplinary action may occur concurrently with civil or criminal action and/or the residence hall disciplinary system.  Campus-related student conduct violations include both academic and non-academic misconduct, and can also include off-campus misconduct, and misconduct at off-campus university-sponsored events. Disciplinary action in one arena (i.e. University, civil, criminal, or residence hall) does not necessarily affect the other.

What happens when a student is referred to the Office of Student Conduct?

The OSC reviews and investigates complaints it receives. If there appears to be evidence of a violation, the OSC sends the identified student a letter by email informing them that they have been charged with allegedly being in violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and that he or she must contact the Student Conduct office within 10 days to schedule an appointment. The identified student also receives a copy of the California Code of Regulations that they are being charged under, a copy of CSU Executive Order 1073 (Student Conduct Procedures), and a flow chart of the process.

What happens at the meeting?

The Student Conduct Administrator (SCA) shares with the student charged the information received that led to the charges. The student has an opportunity to provide any information related to the incident that he or she thinks is important, and may ask any questions he or she has. The SCA hopes that the meeting is an opportunity for an open and honest discussion about the incident. In most cases after the discussion, the student charged and the SCA agree on a resolution/sanction. The resolution usually takes into account the seriousness of the charges, preponderance of evidence, the student’s honesty and/or acknowledgment of responsibility, student needs specific to the violation (drug/alcohol counseling, counseling and psychological services, academic advising or tutoring assistance, etc.), and/or previous disciplinary history. If the student agrees to the resolution, both the student and the SCA sign a settlement agreement reflecting the terms of the resolution. If the student does not agree to the resolution offered at the conclusion of the informal meeting, he or she proceeds to a formal hearing process.

Can I bring anyone with me to my meeting?

Yes. Students charged are entitled to bring an advisor (friend, family member, etc.), but may not bring an attorney to represent them (see Policies). Most students attend without an advisor.

If I have an attorney, what is his or her role in the student disciplinary process?

Students may consult with their attorney concerning the matter, but their attorney may not accompany them or represent them at either informal meetings or at formal hearings.

If the violation also involves an alleged crime, can I also be prosecuted through the criminal courts as well as being referred to the Office of Student Conduct?

Yes. The same set of facts may result in an investigation by both the University and the police or courts.

Can my parents get information from Student Conduct about my disciplinary case?

Not without written permission. Records and files created during the disciplinary process are “Educational Records” under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and are generally protected from being released to third parties without written consent from the student involved in the disciplinary process.

What happens if I fail to respond to the call-in letter or fail to attend a scheduled appointment?

If a student fails to respond, the SCA will notify the student and proceed to a formal hearing (with or without the student in attendence). If a student does not attend a meeting or comply with the call-in letter or a sanction, a registration and transcript hold can be placed on the student’s record.  The hold will prohibit the student from adding or dropping classes, or obtaining transcripts.

My professor has already has given me an F on the assignment or in the class for cheating or plagiarizing.Do I still need to come in or respond to the call-in letter from the Office of Student Conduct about the same incident?

Yes, the professor can also refer students for University discipline in addition to the grade or academic sanction they assign them.

How can I report a suspected violation of the Student Code of Conduct?

If a student has reason to believe that another student has violated University rules, he or she may contact the Office of Student Conduct at 916-278-6060. They can meet with the Director of Student Conduct, discuss the situation, and review their options. 

Will I be able to know the outcome of another student’s disciplinary matter?

The OSC will only release information about the outcome of another student’s disciplinary matter upon his/her written consent or when required to do so by state or federal law.