The new student employee hiring process will consist of the steps outlined below. Hiring departments should allow for proper planning, typically 2-3 weeks before an incumbent is placed in a position.
Step 1: Determine if position meets Live Scan criteria
Live Scan is required if any of the following conditions exist:
- The student is working with Level 1 data. Examples of Level 1 Confidential information include, but are not limited to:
- Passwords or credentials
- PINs (Personal Identification Numbers)
- Name with birth date combined with last four of SSN
- Name with credit card number
- Name with Tax ID
- Name with driver’s license number, state identification card, and other forms of national or international identification
- Name with Social Security number
- Medical records related to an individual
- Psychological Counseling records related to an individual
- Name with bank account or debit card information
- The student is handling cash, checks, credit cards and/or credit card account information.
- The student has responsibility for the care, safety and security of people, including children and minors, or property.
- Complies with CSU’s ICSUAM 8065.S02 Information Security Data Classification Standard.
If the position meets the above criteria, the job announcement shall include a statement indicating that candidates are subject to Live Scan. (See next step for detailed information.)
Live Scan is also required of current student employees, not just new. Current student positions must be evaluated by the department to determine if Live Scan criteria are met by the position. If so, the student employee should be fingerprinted by November 1, 2014.
Step 2: Post student position in Hornet Career Connection
Step 1: Review the Career Center’s Employer Recruitment Policies
Step 2: Submit a New User Registration
Allow the Career Center staff up to 5 business days to review and approve your registration. You will receive an email confirmation once your account has been approved.
Please note that you may be contacted and asked to submit additional information.
Kate Lockwood Employer Relations Coordinator 916.278.5089
Step 3: Screen applicants, conduct interviews, check references, etc.
Screen applicants based on your job application requirements.
Confirm Student Enrollment
Verify that the student is enrolled at least part-time. If using Work Study funds, check for Work Study award and unmet need.
Select the Top Candidate and a Backup
- Choose the best applicant—and one backup should the top candidate not get employed by your department or not pass Live Scan (if Live Scan is required for this position).
- Ensure the student meets the student assistant criteria.
Recommended/Optional: Notify students not selected for interview or hire
- You can choose to send emails to the student not hired. For example:
- Thank you for your application, however you were not selected for an interview.
- Thank you for taking the time to interview with us, however another candidate is being considered.