EPT and ELM Test Information
CSU requires you to take the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry-Level Mathematics Test (ELM) before you enroll. Your scores will determine which Math and English courses you should take to begin your career at CSU.
To register for the EPT and the ELM exams, please visit the Educational Testing Service website.
Future Test Dates
1/17/2015 (registration deadline: 1/2/2015, admission ticket available: 1/5/2015)
2/14/2015* (registration deadline: 1/30/2015, admission ticket available: 2/2/2015)
3/21/2015* (registration deadline: 3/6/2015, admission ticket available: 3/9/2015)
4/11/2015 (registration deadline: 3/27/2015, admission ticket available: 3/30/2015)
4/18/2015 (registration deadline: 4/3/2015, admission ticket available: 4/6/2015)
5/2/2015** (registration deadline: 4/17/2015, admission ticket available: 4/20/2015)
*Systemwide Test Date
**Systemwide Test Date and Deadline Date to take Exam for Fall Term
Walk-in (or Stand-by) Information
If you missed the registration deadline, our campus does accept walk-in. Please note that seating is limited and it is first-come-first-serve. Please also note that if you do not have a photo ID and/or payment for the fee, we will not be able to test you.
For walk-in information for future test dates, our website will be updated when we get closer to the test date.
For the January 17, 2015 test administration:
If you need to take the EPT and ELM test, please report to Lassen Hall room 2302 at 7:30AM. You must have on you a completed Walk-in Registration Form, photo ID, a check/money order payable to E.T.S. for the amount of $36, and should have, on hand, your Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax ID Number (TIN).
If you need to take the ELM test only, please report to Lassen Hall room 2302 at 12:00PM. You must have on you a completed Walk-in Registration Form, photo ID, a check/money order payable to E.T.S. for the amount of $18, and should have, on hand, your Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax ID Number (TIN).
If you need to take the EPT only, please report to Lassen Hall room 2302 at 12:00PM. You must have on you a completed Walk-in Registration Form, photo ID, a check/money order payable to E.T.S. for the amount of $18, and should have, on hand, your Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax ID Number (TIN).
What You Must Bring
- Your printed admission ticket. You will be asked to enter your Admission Ticket Number on your answer sheet and your EPT essay booklet during the test.
- Your Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number (card is not required).
- Acceptable identification: "Acceptable" means a current school- or government-issued ID that includes a photograph or physical description written in English, and your full legal name. Note: The name on your photo ID must match the name entered on your EPT/ELM account in the online registration system.
- Acceptable ID:
- current driver's license with photo
- current school ID card with recognizable photo
- valid passport with your signature and current, recognizable photo
- a document on your high school's stationery bearing your name and a brief physical description in English (height, weight, age, sex, eye color and hair color). You must sign this document in the presence of your principal or school counselor, who also must sign it. You may be asked to sign this ID form again at the test center.
- Unacceptable ID:
- Social Security card
- credit card, including one with a photo
- parent's driver's license
- birth certificate, including wallet-size birth certificates.
- Acceptable ID:
- Several No. 2 lead pencils with erasers: It is your responsibility to bring No. 2 pencils to the test center and to make certain you understand and follow the directions for completing your answer document. Responsibility for accurately scoring your test(s) can be accepted only if your answer sheet is completed according to directions.
- a watch (without audible alarm)
- a bag or backpack (must be kept on the floor under your chair or as directed by the test proctors)
Students found with any of these items will be dismissed and their scores will be canceled:
- cell phones, smartphones and other electronic devices
- personal digital assistant (Blackberry, Sidekick, Palm, etc.)
- papers of any kind
- recording or photographic devices
- food or drink
Test Room Regulations
You may NOT bring a cell phone, smartphone, personal digital assistant (PDA), calculator, camera, laptop, iPad®, tablet computer, e-reader or pager into the testing room. Books, rulers, papers of any kind, and recording or photographic devices are NOT allowed in the testing room. You will be dismissed and your scores will be canceled if you are found with these items. Eating, drinking and smoking are NOT permitted in the buildings.
You will be dismissed from the test or your scores will be canceled if you:
- work on one section of the test during the time allowed for another section
- use notes or any of the prohibited aids
- give or receive help during the test
- attempt to take the test for someone else
- fail, after being warned, to follow the test supervisor's instructions
- cause undue disturbance
- attempt to copy test materials
- remove test materials from the room
- leave the testing building.
Test fees will not be refunded if you are dismissed or your scores are canceled due to misconduct.
ETS and CSU reserve the right to cancel any test scores if the test taker engages in misconduct or if there is a testing irregularity.
When you are taking the test, be sure to mark your answers on the answer sheet and not in the test book. You may use the test book for scratch work, but you will not receive credit for any responses written in it. Both the EPT and ELM are scored according to right answers only, so there is no penalty for guessing.
If you have to leave the room briefly during the test to use the rest room, you must have the supervisor's permission. Only one person at a time is permitted to leave the test in order to use the rest room. You will not be permitted to make up the time you lose. Please note, if you are caught using a cell phone or electronic device during a break or trip to the rest room you will be dismissed or your scores will be canceled. Please also note that all breaks are taken in the testing building, if you leave the test building, you will not be admitted back into the testing room.
All testing irregularities, as well as test scores believed to be earned under unusual or nonstandard circumstances, are routinely reviewed.
If you wish to register a comment or complaint about either test conditions or a test question, you may do so with the test supervisor after the test. The supervisor will report your comment on an irregularity form, and it will be reviewed.
How can my scores be forwarded to a different CSU campus or a community college?
You may request an additional score report directly from Educational Testing Service by mail. Duplicate score reports can be ordered by sending a check in the amount of $10 times the number of duplicate score reports you desire, payable to Educational Testing Service, accompanied by a letter indicating your name, Social Security number, the date on which you took the test, and the addresses to which you want the duplicate score reports sent. Sign the check and send it along with the letter to:
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 4004
Concord, CA 94524-4004
Special Accommodations for Students
If you need Special Accommodations, contact the Services to Students with Disabilities (SSWD) Office at 916-278-6955 for information on the process to submit documentation and confirm approval of accommodations by the registration deadline. You are encouraged to submit documentation at the beginning of the registration period to allow sufficient time for review and approval. Request after the deadline is not guaranteed.
If you need accommodations for Religious Observance, please provide the Testing Center a letter/memo on letterhead from your clergy by the registration deadline to allow sufficient time for review. Request after the deadline is not guaranteed.
Students who require Special Accommodations or need accommodations for Religious Observance must take the EPT on Thursday and the ELM on Friday BEFORE the Saturday exam date. Once you have registered to take the exam(s), please contact the Testing Center at 916-278-6296 or email@example.com to confirm the dates.
View your EPT and/or ELM Test Scores
To view your scores, please select view your scores on ETS’s website. You must enter your information exactly as it was given at the time of your EPT or ELM test. All fields are required. If anything is missing or incorrect, you will not be able to log in. Your PIN is a private personal identification number chosen by you at the time of your test. If you did not select a PIN and if you registered for the test and was assigned an Admission Ticket Number, you should enter your Admission Ticket Number (in place of the PIN) to view your scores.
If you took the EPT and ELM test and you did not select CSU, Sacramento as a campus to recieve your scores, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- First name, middle initial, and last name
- Date of birth
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Date you took the exam
- Admission ticket number
- Phone number in case there are any questions
Once your information has been recieved, a copy of your score report will be sent to Admissions and Records. Your scores will be posted to your MySacState account, under your Test Score Summary, within two weeks. If you do not see your scores, please send another email to email@example.com.
For current information regarding the EPT and ELM test, please refer to the Current Information Bulletin.
For additional information:
Out of State Testing: http://www.ets.org/csu/registration/dates/
Exam Calendar: http://www.ets.org/csu/registration/dates/
Educational Testing Service
PO Box 4004
Concord, CA 94524-4004
Please note that most of the information provided above is from the Educational Testing Service’s website