IV. RESPONSIBILITIES OF FACULTY ADVISORS
A. General objectives of department/area advisors include but are not limited to the following:
- To create a welcoming environment for advisees.
- To assist students in planning their academic programs.
- To assist students in resolving problems affecting their progress toward a degree.
- To assist students in achieving their educational, career, and personal goals.
B. Specific responsibilities of department/area advisors include but are not limited to the following:
- To make use of adviser training opportunities provided by the College and/or the University.
- To be sufficiently knowledgeable to effectively assist students in making progress toward their degree/program/credential.
- To maintain a working knowledge of current University academic policies and requirements, and the ability to connect advisees to the variety of resources and services available to students.
- To assist students in developing their course schedules for upcoming semesters.
- To assist students in monitoring progress toward completion of:
- Major or program requirements.
- General Education and Graduation requirements.
- Other degree requirements
6. To review and approve student graduation petitions (advising students of the University requirement to get approval at least one year in
advance of their expected graduation date).