Environmental Healthy and Safety Committee and Occupational Health and Safety Subcommittee
| Policy Administrator:
Vice President for Administration
July 30, 1991
Environmental Health & Safety Homepage
Policy File Number: UME04170.htm
Environmental Health and Safety Committee
and Occupational Health and Safety Subcommittee
The University Environmental Health & Safety Committee shall be the principal campus body responsible for recommending to the president, policy on all aspects of environmental health and safety for the campus. Tasks will include:
1. Commentary on implications of pending and adopted environmental laws and regulations;
2. Development of priorities for addressing environmental mandates and issues;
3. Preparation of an annual "state of the campus environment" report;
4. Recommending policies and procedures for the use and disposal of hazardous materials, and developing programs to eliminate or minimize exposure to known or suspected human carcinogens.
5. Coordinating, consolidating and allocation tasks to the following subcommittees and assuming responsibility for any unassigned environmental health and safety issues: Radiation Safety Subcommittee, Animal Care and Use Subcommittee, Diving Control Board, Human Subjects Subcommittee and Occupational Health & Safety Subcommittee.
Appointments to the committee are made by the President. Membership shall be for a period of two years. The President shall have the option of reappointing members to additional terms. The composition of the committee will be as follows.
One chairperson or designee from each of the following subcommittees:
Radiation Safety Subcommittee Animal Care and Use Subcommittee Diving Control Board Human Subjects Subcommittee Occupational Health & Safety Subcommittee
One student recommended by the Associated Students President One faculty member from a department which uses hazardous materials, recommended by the dean of a school
One representative from the Public Safety staff
One representative from the Facilities Management staff
One community member
One medical doctor (from the University Health Center)
Hazardous Materials Coordinator and Radiation Safety Officer, Arts & Sciences - Ex-officio
Director of Environmental Health & Safety - Ex-officio
The committee will select a chair. The Director of Environmental Health and Safety will serve as an ex-officio member and staff to the committee and will convene the first meeting.
One new subcommittee is formed as part of this action: the Occupational Health & Safety Subcommittee. This subcommittee is charged with responsibility for recommending policy and procedures on issues related to health and safety in the workplace.
The Vice President for Administration is responsible for administration of these actions.