Veterans Career Pathways Program - VCPP
Speed Interviews & Resume Makeover- Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 (Union Ballroom #1, 12:00pm-3:00pm)
- Participants interact with employers to practice interviewing skills. Professionals in the field provide scenarios and feedback to improve the applicant’s ability to successfully interview for jobs in several industries.
- Participants meet with employers to discuss their resumes. They will gain tips and insight into the resume writing process and how to tailor their resume to specific jobs and industries.
Skills for Professional Success - Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 (Orchard Suite, 1:00pm-2:30pm) & Thursday, October 23rd, 2014 (California Suite, 11:00am-12:30pm)
- Participants will learn "soft skills" important to the workplace such as: communication, enthusiasm and attitude, teamwork, networking, problem solving and critical thinking, and professionalism.
Career Networking Mixer - Friday, November 14th , 2014 (CSUS Alumni Center, 11:30am-3:00pm)
- Join us for good food and professional conversation while guest speakers from the Sacramento community help kick off the event.
- Participants will have the opportunity to network with employers, gain knowledge of how to effectively communicate with professionals, learn about specific job fields, and develop new ways to navigate the world of work.
Etiquette Dinner - Friday, December 12th, 2014 (CSUS Alumni Center, 5:00pm-8:00pm)
- Participants will experience an evening of “fine dining” and etiquette instruction with representatives from different employers in the Sacramento area. Throughout the three course meal, students learn how to effectively socialize, utilize proper dinner manners, and practice professional scenarios in the restaurant setting.
Level Two-Job Shadowing
Students participate in a “Job Shadowing” day with local employer.
- Participants choose from a list of employers that they would like to interview and shadow for at least half a day. A written reflection will allow the student to gain insight into their career experience.
- The Career Pathways program coordinators will provide all materials as well as an agenda to employers to assist in the organization and timeline of a typical job shadowing experience.
Level Three-20 Hour Internship (Spring 2015)
Participate in a 20 hour internship over a month long period with an employer matched to your career interests
- Internship will not cost employer any money as participants are being paid via grant.
For more information please visit the ‘Veteran Career Pathways Program’ page on the Veteran Success Center’s website.