How to Take Exams
Presented by ATCS (Academic Technology & Creative Services)
Exams in SacCT are known as assessments, and these assessments come in 3 flavors: exams or quizzes, self tests and surveys. All three types are accessed in the same way, but may exhibit different characteristics or functions.
- SacCT exams are accessed via the Assessments link on the Course Tools menu on your SacCT course page. Some instructors may also place quiz or exam links in the course content home area.
- If an exam is available for you to take, you will be able to click its title on the Assessments screen.
- Before you begin a quiz or exam, read the description carefully. Information about the quiz you will be taking will be listed in this area.
- When you are ready, click the Begin Assessment button to begin taking the exam.
The Exam Window
- The exam screen is made up of three separate areas:
- an information section at the top,
- time and question status area on the right,
- and the question and answer area on the left.
- To answer questions, select your answer, then click the Save Answer button.
- If you do not save your answers, your exam will not be graded correctly.
- Instructors cannot retrieve selected answers if they have not been saved by the student.
- As you are answering each question, check the Question Status area on the right.
- Unanswered questions will be indicated by a yellow circle.
- Unsaved answers will show as an exclamation mark.
- Saved answers will be indicated by a checkmark.
- If the quiz you are taking is timed, you will see the time area above the Question Status box.
- The quiz timer will continue to tick even if you close your browser and/or shut down your computer during an exam.
- If time runs out before you have completed an exam, you may or may not be able to continue saving answers (this feature is determined by your instructor).
- Once you have finished answering exam questions, click the Finish button to submit your completed exam.
- Click Submit to complete the submission.
- Once submitted, you will receive a submission confirmation message. Click the View Attempt button to view your exam results, if they are available.
- After you’ve completed an exam and if your instructor has released exam results, results can also be viewed by re-accessing an exam.
Accessing Exam Grades Through the Gradebook
- Quiz or exam scores may be recorded automatically in the course Gradebook.
- To access your grades, click on the My Grades link located on the My Tools menu on the left (this link will only be available if your instructor has opted to include it in the course).