What is Directed Self Placement?
Directed Self-Placement is a program designed to help entering students determine which first-year composition course is the right choice for them. All Sac State students are required to complete General Education Area A2—Writing. We know, however, that one type of class is not the right fit for every student. Our goal is to help you discover, based on your background and experiences, which course will enable you to be most successful.
Sac State students used to enroll in first-year composition courses based on their scores on the English Placement Test (EPT). We do not, however, believe that a multiple-choice, timed exam is the best way to determine a student’s skills and placement. Thus, we have designed a program that informs you about our expectations, provides you with some activities to test out your skills, and asks you to review your own experiences and ideas to help you determine the best class for you.
If you have any questions about this information, please contact Writing Programs in the English Department at 278-6586.
If you took the English Placement Test (EPT) and your score is in the following range, you need to participate in the Directed Self-Placement program:
• English Placement Test (EPT): 146 or less
If you are required to complete Directed Self-Placement, you must complete the program prior to attending Orientation. The Directed Self-Placement program will be available for you to complete between June 1, 2014 and June 25, 2014.
If you do not complete the Directed Self-Placement program prior to Orientation, your first-year composition course placement will be based on your EPT score.
The following students are exempt from Directed Self-Placement for the 2014-2015 academic school year:
• Students who score a 147 or higher on the English Placement Test (EPT)
• Students who received qualifying scores in the appropriate areas of the EAP, SAT, SAT Subject, ACT, or AP exams
• Students who took an approved college-level English course and earned a C- or better—these students are also exempt from the English Placement Test (EPT)
• International students
The Directed Self-Placement program is a series of online activities within SacCT. You will read information about Directed Self-Placement, our composition course offerings, and how we view academic reading and writing. You will then complete four different activities:
- a self-test to check your understanding of the Directed Self-Placement process and course options
- a critical reading activity
- an academic writing activity
- a self-inventory to review your background and feelings about your reading and writing skills
We believe these activities will take about 2-3 hours of your time. Once you complete this work, you will select which first-year writing course best meets your needs. You can then print out this information and take it with you to Orientation (when you will sign up for classes).
If you are ready to begin your Directed Self-Placement program, just click the link below!