Get a Travel Advance

Travel advance requests should be included on the travel requisition when entered in the Common Financial System (CFS). (Please see Section 3 of the travel requisition user guide for step‐by‐step instructions on how to enter travel advances.)

Following is additional information you need to know about travel advances:

Advance check payments or prepays to the vendor (e.g. conference registration fee):

Will be issued no more than 30 days prior to the date of travel, unless earlier payment of the fee is required (e.g. early‐bird registration saves money for the University)

  • Direct Billing (prepay) for conference registration is allowed via use of your ProCard and is not subject to the 30 day requirement.

Cash Advances made payable to the traveler (e.g. for meals or air fare):

  • Will be issued no more than 30 days prior to the date of travel, unless earlier payment is required due to employee out‐of‐pocket prepaid expenses. The receipt(s) must be sent to AP for early payment to be processed.

Advance checks must be picked up from the Cashier’s area by the University Traveler. Advance checks will not be mailed.

  • The employee (or a department representative with a Travel Advance Check Pick‐Up Authorization form) is required to sign for the advance check acknowledging receipt of the check and authorizing collection activities for advances not fully claimed or expensed per campus procedures.

Clearing the advance after the travel is completed:

Per the California State University, Sacramento travel policy and procedures, a travel advance is due and payable within 60 days after a trip is completed. If a travel claim is not submitted to cover the advance or if the entire advance is not used, the employee is still responsible for the repayment of the entire advance amount.

Repayments of travel advances should be made to the Cashier’s office in Lassen Hall, Room 1001, and the receipt attached to the travel claim when submitting it to the Accounts Payable office in Modoc Hall, Room 3005.

Failure to comply with this policy will result in collection activities that may include internal and external collection efforts, deduction from a future travel claim(s), and/or deduction from a payroll warrant.

Any Cash Advances to the Traveler outstanding longer than 120 days will be considered income to the traveler and will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on the employees annual W2.

Updated February 2016