FAQs in Financial Services Areas

Accounts Payable - Hospitality   /   Invoices   /   Travel   /   Accounting Services   /   Procurement Services   /   Bursar's Office   /   OneCard   /   University Foundation at Sac State (UFSS)

Accounts Payable and Travel


  • Q: What is Hospitality?
  • A: At Sacramento State, "hospitality" is the provision of meals (catered or restaurant) or light refreshments (beverages, hors d’oeuvres, pastries, cookies), entertainment services, promotional items, gifts, awards and service recognition. Hospitality includes expenses for activities that promote the University to the public, usually with the expectation of benefits accruing directly or indirectly to the University.
  • Q: Who is expected to follow the Hospitality Policy?
  • A: The Hospitality Policy ADM-0111 applies to all hospitality expenses incurred by the University, the University Foundation at Sacramento State (Foundation), University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI), University Union, Associated Students Inc. (ASI) and Capital Public Radio. The Auxiliaries and departments may choose to implement more restrictive policies.
  • Q: What is the allowable per-person maximum for hospitality?
  • A: Breakfast=$30, Lunch=$40, Dinner=$75, Light Refreshments=$30  
    • When a hospitality expense exceeds the per-person maximum provided in the chart above, the hospitality is considered exceptional. Exceptions require a written justification for the overage and the approval from a Vice President, or the Auxiliary Organization Executive Officer. This authority may not be delegated any further. The approved justification must include why adherence to the policy was unavoidable and necessary to achieve a University business purpose.
  • Q: Is an original receipt required?
  • A: An itemized receipt or invoice must include the merchant or provider name, a detailed list of the service(s) or item(s) purchased, date, and amount of expense. Canceled checks, handwritten receipts, bank statements, credit card statements, and/or credit/debit card transaction receipts cannot be used to verify a hospitality expense. 
  • Q: What if the receipt is unavailable?
  • A: If an itemized receipt or invoice is unavailable, include a signed certification statement to be reviewed and approved/authorized by the approving official for this hospitality expense.
  • Q: Do I always need to submit an attendee list?
  • A:  An attendee list is required including participant names, their titles, and affiliation to the University.  For a large function with 100+ participants, it may not be feasible to provide a guest list; so, a copy of the flyer, invitation, or announcement, may be provided in lieu of a guest list.  Examples of large events are guest lecture receptions, Kaleidoscope, parent/student orientation weekends, graduation receptions, department open houses, etc.
  • Q: What are allowable funding sources for hospitality?
  • A:  Please review Appendix A in Hospitality Expense Procedures, ADM-0111.
  • Q: Who can approve exceptions to the Hospitality Policy?
  • A:  In order to ensure that the approval of hospitality is entirely independent, individuals with delegated approval authority shall not approve the expenses of a person to whom they directly report.  The approving authority is the next highest level. Approval for a missing itemized receipt, or invoice, is delegated to the approving official. Approval is delegated to Vice Presidents when a hospitality expense exceeds the per-person maximum. For all other exceptions, the President may make a limited exception to the hospitality policy and procedures. The purpose for the exception must be documented and signed by the President.
  • Q: What should a hospitality statement of justification include?
  • A:  The justification must include a description of the event and the related business purpose. It must also explain why the meal was a necessary and integral part of the meeting or event.

Back to Top


  • Q: What is the process to pay an invoice?
  • A: Please review FROM REQUISITION TO CHECK, link here https://www.csus.edu/aba/accounts-payable/invoices.html#one
  • Q: Why is there a delay in payment?
  • A:  A payment may not be issued to a vendor for several reasons; such as, the invoice was not received; the Stock Received is not posted.  Please see detailed information.
  • Q: How do I research a payment in CFS? 
  • A:  To determine whether an invoice has been paid, and/or if the check has cleared our bank, please see the Researching a Payment document.
  • Q: When should a check be voided?  
  • A:  If a vendor calls about a payment, and the check has been issued but never received, the check may be canceled and reissued. Before a check can be reissued please review the criteria.

Back to Top


  • Q:  What is the first thing I should do if I am planning on traveling on University business?
  • A.  Before you leave the Campus you should contact the person responsible for travel within your department, college, or program center; and, visit the Accounts Payable website for travel policies and procedures.
  • Q:  How can I get an advance check for travel expenses? 
  • A:  Before you leave the Campus you should contact the person responsible for travel within your department, college, or program center; and, review the information on the Get a Travel Advance webpage.
  • Q:  What is the correct way to set-up a travel requisition with an advance?
  • A:  Instructions can be found in Section 3 of the Travel Requisitions Users Guide. More detailed information is also available on the Get a Travel Advance webpage.
  • Q:  How long can I expect to wait for my check?
  • A:  Advance checks are requested on a Travel Requisition in CFS.  Notify your department Travel Coordinator if you need an advance. Generally, advance checks are ready within two weeks before your trip.  If the registration is due months before your trip, you can request a travel advance and it will be paid on the day you request it to be paid. Once the advance is processed it is the traveler’s responsibility to pick the check up from the Cashier’s Office in Lassen Hall, Rm.1001.
    • For more efficient reimbursements, employees have the option to be reimbursed by electronic funds transfer (EFT) via a direct deposit to your personal bank account. Please see the following information for EFT sign-up EFT Instructions and form.  The form is located within the Accounts Payable & Travel section of the ABA Forms webpage.
  • Q:  Which rental car companies and airlines offer discounts to state of California employees?  What methods of payment are required in order to obtain discount rates?
  • A:   Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the official car rental company for state employees traveling on official business.  They should be utilized whenever possible.  For more information, see the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Booking instructions. The State of California also contracts with airlines for reduced rates on official travel between certain city pairs.  These rates are available only when payment is made using the Am Ex Government card, or with a State issued check.  A complete listing of contract terms, rates and fees can be found at the State of California website.
  • Q:  Is there a limit on how much I can be reimbursed for lodging?
  • A:  The current domestic maximum lodging rate is $275 (excluding taxes); VP (or Pres.) must pre-approve higher rates via an email or memo.  Please see the domestic travel justification form. The form is located within the Accounts Payable & Travel and in the Procurement section of the ABA Forms webpage
  • Q:  If I’m on personal time while traveling on business, how do I separate the hotel and car rental charges from my personal time?
  • A:  Generally, you will deduct the expenses incurred on your personal days of travel from the total amount on the travel expense claim. Utilizing a different method of transportation and extending travel for person reasons are two reasons for altering business related travel.
  • Q:  What is the procedure for reimbursement of approved expenses?  What are the typical expenses I can be reimbursed for?  What receipts must I provide?
  • A:  An individual must have departmental approval to travel on University business and follow appropriate University procedures for requesting authorization to travel.  Itemized receipts are required for the following expenses: airline, lodging, rental car, parking; and any reimbursable item costing $25 or more.
  • Q:  What is an itemized receipt?
  • A:  A receipt that shows what was purchased and provides proof of payment by showing how it was paid.
  • Q:  What are typical errors in travel reimbursement claims, and how can I avoid them?
  • A:  Please do the following:
    • Make sure the travel purchase order number, not the requisition number, is on the claim
    • Make sure all necessary ITEMIZED receipts are attached to the claim
    • Include expenses that were advanced and their receipts in the claim total
    • Be sure to include the departure and return dates and times
    • Make sure you have the signature of the claimant and the approving authority
    • Make sure that the traveler’s vehicle license plate number is listed on claim if traveler is claiming mileage
    • No lodging, meals, or incidental allowance may be claimed if travel is within 25 miles for the employees normal work location
    • Locating lodging where discounted state rates are given is encouraged and also getting the occupancy tax exemption when allowed by hotel
  • Q:  How soon do I have to turn in my travel expense claim?
  • A:  To clear all travel advances and to get reimbursed, you must file an approved Travel Expense Claim, STD. 262 within 30 days of returning from a trip, send approved form to Accounts Payable, ZIP 6004.  The form is located within the Accounts Payable & Travel section of the ABA Forms webpage.

Back to Top

Accounting Services

  • Q:  What are your office hours?
  • A:  Please visit our website for current office hours, indicated on the left side of the webpage.
  • Q: What is a Cash Posting Order (CPO)?
  • A:  It is the tool used to move cash between Sac State and another CSU campus; or, between Sac State and the Chancellor’s Office (CO). CPO payments are made electronically by the CO, they are no longer invoiced; nor paid with checks. For more information, see the CPO webpage.
  • Q:  Where do I find the appropriate expense account to use, i.e. chart-string/chart-field?
  • A:  Refer to the Expense Account Listing chart on the Accounting Services webpage.
  • Q:  How do I move expenses from one fund and/or Dept ID to another?
  • A:  Departments or program centers request expenditure transfers in order to move expenses. Complete an Expenditure Transfer form located within the Accounting section of the ABA Forms webpage.
  • Q:  What makes up the chartfields?
  • A:  Account-Fund-Dept ID-Class (if any)-Project (if any).
  • Q:  How do I correct the account (chartfields) to which the expense was posted?
  • A:  Complete an Expenditure Transfer form updated in January 2018 and located within the Accounting section of the ABA Forms webpage.
  • Q:  What is the University's federal tax ID number?
  • A:  The federal tax ID number for the University, not for any of the Auxiliaries, is available in our W-9 Tax ID packet, please review all the pages. For more information, visit the University's Tax Status page.

Back to Top

Procurement & Contract Services

  • Q:  What are your office hours?
  • A:  Please visit our website for current office hours, indicated on the left side of the webpage.
  • Q:  How do I know which buyer is working on my requisition?
  • A:  The instructions are located in the CFS Requisition Process User Guide, see page 53.
  • Q:  How can I find out the purchase order for my requisition?
  • A:  The instructions are located in the CFS Requisition Process User Guide, see Section 9, page 37.
  • Q:  What is the bid limit for commodities and services?
  • A:  Please see the VendorGuide, pages 11-13, for more information and specific bid limits.
  • Q:  Where can I find Small Business (SB)/Disabled & Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) vendors? 
  • A:  A complete list is available on the Procurement Small Business webpage, see Helpful Links on right.
  • Q:  What is the normal turnaround time for converting requisitions to purchase orders?
  • A:  The normal turnaround time is up to five (5) working days; see more details in the Procurement 101 presentation document.
  • Q:  How do I find my purchase order (PO) number?
  • A:  Please see the CFS Requisition Process User Guide Section 7.2, page 26.
  • Q:  Can I submit my requisition "after the fact'?
  • A:  No. Confirming orders and/or "after the fact" orders are explicitly prohibited for any merchandise received or services performed prior to obtaining appropriate authorization. No person is authorized to commit University funds to a vendor without prior approval via the appropriate method. Any unauthorized transactions will be returned to the department unprocessed, and the department will have to find other funding sources.
  • Q:  Who is my point of contact for Accessibility Technology Initiative (ATI) purchases?
  • A:  Please see the Accessible IT Procurement webpage for more information. Questions related to the ATI process should be directed to Katie Beekman, ati-procurement@csus.edu; the process for Information Communication & Technology (ICT) involves IRT and completing forms.
  • Q:  What is Delegation of Authority?
  • A:  Delegation of Authority and Reports To (DART) identifies users with the approval to sign requests to grant internal fiscal authority to department representatives; see the IRT Common Access Request System webpage for information to add/update authority.
  • Q:  Where can I find information about the Request for Proposal (RFP) process?
  • A:  Please see the RFP Guide for detailed information.
  • Q:  How can I find out if insurance is current for a vendor/contractor that will be performing services for our department on Campus?
  • A:   Insurance documentation is stored in an on-line database for the University. You may either contact Karen Massey, (916) 278-7330 masseyk@csus.edu, to obtain the status of the insurance for the specific vendor/contractor; or, employees may also contact Dale Clack, (916) 278-7405 clackd@csus.edu, to request a USER ID/Password to access the insurance database.
  • Q:  How can I find out which Buyer/Contract Specialist handles a particular commodity/service?
  • A:  Please see the Procurement & Contract Staff webpage for the specific staff assigned by commodity and service.
  • Q:  How do I sign-up for access to the Office Max Stockless Office Supply Program?
  • A:  Please see the detailed instructions for an employee to set-up an Office Max Stockless Office Supply account, and other important information about this program.
  • Q:  Can I buy equipment using the ProCard?
  • A:  There are specific allowable purchases and thresholds for buying equipment, see details on appropirate uses of the card in the Procurement Card Program Manual.
  • Q:  Can I use a dot.com vendor with my ProCard to purchase from a vendor's website when the vendor has a store front?
  • A:  Internet suppliers and other vendors may only be used when approved by a Procurement Staff member with delegated authority; and/or, the Procurement Card Administrator. Contact Procurement Services directly, (916) 278-7322.
  • Q:  Can I buy flowers?
  • A:  The purchase of flowers is covered under the Hospitality Expense Policy ADM-0111, for the specific list of uses of University funds for payment of University hospitality expenses please review Appendix A in Hospitality Expense Procedures, ADM-0111 document.
  • When is it the responsibility of the department to send a Stock Received Report?
  • A:  When the Office and/or end user receives the merchandise directly from the vendor, then it is the departments responsibility to fill out a Stocked Received Report when the item is received. You may send via email or fax to Central Receiving; see more details on the Stock Received webpage.

Back to Top

Bursar's Office

  • Q:  What are your office hours?
  • A:  Please visit our website for current office hours, indicated on the left side of the webpage.
  • Q: I pay the bills: Why won’t your representatives talk to me about my student’s account?
  • A:  The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.  The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the US Department of Education.  Please have your student contact our office and we can answer any questions.  If necessary, the student can visit the Student Services Counter in Lassen Hall and complete a third-party release form that will allow us to discuss the account with you.  More information is available at the Office of the University Registrar’s website.
  • Q: Why aren’t parents notified when their student’s payment is due? 
  • A:  All communication from the University is sent to the student via MySacState messaging through the MySacState portal, or made available on the Student Center within the portal.  It is ultimately the student’s responsibility to make sure his/her class fees are paid on time. 
  • Q:  When are fees due?
  • A:  Due dates range from one to 14 days, depending on when a student registers.  During regular enrollment periods a student will have 14 days to pay, but beginning with late registration it is reduced to seven or fewer days.  Please check your MySacState account for your specific due date, which will be available the day after you register.  
  • Q:  My student’s enrollment was canceled.  It was my fault that I did not make the payment on time.  Can my student be reenrolled into those classes?
  • A:  It is ultimately the student’s responsibility to make sure his or her fees are paid on time.  Once the classes are dropped, students on the wait-list are enrolled into the class.  Unfortunately, we cannot re-register a student.  The student will need to attempt to register during the next available registration period. 
  • Q:  Our student has health insurance; do we still need to pay the Student Health Fee?
  • A:  The Student Health and Counseling Services fee is one of the several mandatory registration fees voted into effect by the student body.  It provides all students access to healthcare, and many other benefits regardless of insurance.  Please visit the following link for more information on all the great services the Student Health and Counseling Services provides.
  • Q:  What happens when a student gets a returned check for any payment?
  • A:  A $20.00 returned check fee is assessed to a student’s account for checks returned for any reason.  The student will be notified via their saclink email and given a deadline to pay.  Failure to pay may result in the cancellation of classes.
  • Q:  To whom should checks be made payable?
  • A:  CSUS (or any derivation – Sac State, Sacramento State, California State University, Sacramento.) Students that choose not to wait in line must place their payments in the lobby drop box.
  • Q:  What forms of payments do you in person accept?
  • A:  For Registration – Cash, checks, includes money order or cashier checks, and OneCard.  For all other payments - Cash, Check, OneCard, and the following Credit cards Discover, VISA, MASTERCARD. 
  • Q:  What credit cards are accepted online?
  • A:  VISA, DISCOVER, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS. Debit cards, with a participating bank that has a pinless debit option, are also accepted online.
  • Q:  What is the service charge to pay fees online?
  • A:  2.75% for credit cards and $5.00 flat fee for debit cards and eChecks.
  • Q:  Why can't I pay for my tuition fees with a credit card in the office?
  • A:  Due to rising credit card fees we cannot accept your credit card payment in the office for tuition.  Credit card payments can be made online through CashNet that will assess a 2.75% fee.
  • Q:  Do you accept payments for all campus fees, such as Library, course fees, etc.?
  • A:  We accepts payments for all fees that are posted on your MySacState account, LSN-1001.
  • Q:  Where can I mail a check for on-campus housing?
  • A:  For faster processing, please mail all housing payments mail to Sacramento State, Bursar's Office, 6000 J Street, LSN 1001, Sacramento, CA 95819-6052.
  • Q:  Where can pay in-person for on-campus housing payments?
  • A:   Housing payments can be made at the Bursar's Office, Lassen 1001, Cashiers Office.
  • Q:  Where can I mail a check to pay for tuition?
  • A:  Mail to Sacramento State, Bursar's Office, 6000 J Street, LSN-1001, Sacramento, CA 95819-6052. Please make checks payable to CSUS and include the student ID number, not a social security number.
  • Q:  What is the process to request an invoice?
  • A:  Please use this link to Policy ADM-120 for instructions from the University Policy Manual.
  • Q:  Do I have to wait for my refund or financial aid check in the mail?
  • A:  The University offers eRefund.  eRefund is direct deposit for any refunds that you are expecting from the University.  Pleases see additional information on the eRefund webpage.
  • Q:  How do I apply for a refund?
  • A:  Please see the Refund Policy information for further instructions.
  • Q:  My award, or refund, check is lost/stale dated. How do I receive a replacement?
  • A:  If your check is not received in the mail, you must wait one (1) week, 7 days,  from the disbursement date before requesting a replacement check. You need to complete the Check Replacement Request form, or forms are available in Lassen Hall 1001; follow instructions on the form to receive your replacement check.
  • Q:  How much is student semester parking?
  • A:  Currently, parking is subject to change. Visit the Permit Parking Fee webpage at Univ. Transportation and Parking Services (UTAPS).
  • Q: Where can I find information about the 1098T tax form?
  • A: For more information, please see the 1098T webpage.
  • Q:  I am a non-resident of California. How do I apply for residency?
  • A:  New Students will need to review the information for California Residency Screening and/or contact via email caresidency@csus.edu.  Continuing students, please see the Residency Reclassification webpage for further instructors.

Back to Top

OneCard Services

  • Q:  What are your office hours?
  • A:  Please visit our website for current office hours, indicated on the left side of the webpage.
  • Q:  Do staff and faculty have to pay for a OneCard?
  • A:  Most faculty and staff are not charged for their OneCard, with the exception of auxiliary employees. Faculty/Staff must have an appointment letter or a contract to receive a OneCard https://www.csus.edu/aba/OneCard/GettingAOneCard.html
  • Q:  How do I put money on my student's OneCard for their use?
  • A:  Deposits to a OneCard can be done in person, by mail or online.
  • Q:  Where on campus are the OneCard deposit stations located?
  • A:  There are several locations, please see list and more OneCard information.
  • Q:  How much do student OneCards cost?
  • A:  $15.00 for both new and replacement cards, see OneCard info. Students must be enrolled in classes
  • Q:  If my staff or faculty OneCard is falling apart, can I get another one for free or do I need to pay?
  • A:  Staff and faculty are not required to pay for OneCard’s that are falling apart.
  • Q:  Where can I get additional OneCard information?
  • A:  Please see the OneCard frequently asked questions webpage for more information.

      Back to Top


Unversity Foundation at Sac State (UFSS)

  • Q:  What is your tax ID number?
  • A:  94-3001359

Back to Top

Updated: October 2018 - Questions/Comments: Send email to Priscilla Llamas-McKaughan