Tort Claims Against the University

As of January 1, 2011, a claim filed against the CSU or any of its campuses must be filed with the Office of Risk Management and Public Safety at the Chancellor’s Office.

The California State University claims program helps resolve claims against CSU campuses and employees for money or damages. This program does not apply to auxiliary organizations such as Associated Students Inc., University Enterprises and Capital Public Radio, which are privately held and operated. In most cases, a person who is considering suing the University is required to first seek an administrative remedy by filing a claim with the CSU. Typical claims involve contract disputes, outdated University checks and damage to personal property. Prospective claimants are encouraged to visit the website

To file a claim, visit the website linked above, fill out a claim form and send it with a check for $25 to:

    California State University, Office of the Chancellor
    Office of Risk Management and Public Safety
    401 Golden Shore, 5th floor
    Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

The $25 filing fee is refundable if the claim is accepted. The claimant must use the official claim form or provide the required information within the statutory time frame in order for the claim to be considered.

For assistance in filing a claim, visit the Sacramento State Office of Risk Management in River Front Center 220 during regular business hours or call 916-278-7233.