Foreign Travel Insurance

Revised April 13, 2017

Foreign Travel Insurance Program and Related Information

Prior to reporting travel and requesting insurance, faculty members should first complete the Travel Expense Justification - International form.

It is important that Sac State faculty and students traveling internationally on University business do so in a safe manner. One such safe practice is to report to the University when a faculty member plans to travel abroad, but it is also important that insurance is in place before making such a trip.

All employees who travel internationally on CSU business are required to purchase insurance through the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) via the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) and report planned trips as soon as practical.

It is strongly recommended that members of the faculty and students traveling internationally should also sign up for the State Department’s Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is used by the State Department to connect with the traveler, furnish information should conditions change in the foreign location, and assist in an emergency. The traveler needs to only enroll once, then provide updates as trips are planned. You can enroll online at the STEP website.

Student Foreign Travel & Risk Issues

Students who travel have requirements that have been established by the Chancellor’s Office. See the Student Travel webpage for more information.

International travel has always been fraught with risks and hazards. War zones, natural disaster zones, areas of high violence and areas of anti-American sentiment should be considered when planning the itinerary. Our webpage on Addressing Risk Issues for International Travel provides guidance to help faculty plan a safe trip with students.

Foreign Travel Insurance Program

The Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) provides coverage anywhere in the world outside of the United States of America (including territories and possessions) and any country or jurisdiction which is the subject of trade of economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States.

Subject to terms, conditions, and applicable exclusions, FTIP benefits include but are not limited to the following:

  •  General Liability
  •  Excess Auto Liability
  •  Primary Medical Expense & Emergency Medical Benefits
  •  Emergency Medical Evacuation
  •  Repatriation of Remains
  •  Political Evacuations & Repatriation Benefit War Risk Coverage
  •  Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit


Approval for all international travel must be approved by the campus President.

As per Chancellor's Office memorandom RM 2014-01, the campus President and their designee may now approve travel to designated "High Hazard Countries" or countries on the US State Department Travel Warning List for all faculty, staff, or students who travel on CSU business.

Travel to designated "War Risk" countries must still be submitted to the Chancellor's Office.

Premium rates for FY 2016-2017:

    $60 for trips up to 15 day duration per trip, per employee, student, or other participant
    $75 for trips up to 30 day duration per trip, per employee, student, or other participant
    There is an additional premium for high-hazardous/war risk countries once travel is approved by the campus president and chancellor.


Premiums for travel by faculty will be made by Academic Affairs pending campus president and CSU Chancellor's Office approval, as needed. Individual department not within Academic Affairs and programs such as the College of Continuing Education that are self funded must pay for their own foreign travel insurance coverage.

Other premiums, such as family coverage, will be paid for out of pocket. An invoice will be sent to the traveler.

Coverage for other participants

This is an optional coverage provided to you by our insurer.

Our insurer can cover non-employee participants for foreign travel insurance as long as they are immediate family members of an employee traveler. As a non-employee, premiums for other participants will not be paid for by the University and must be paid out of pocket. A statement from our department will be sent to the requestor with instructions for payment. 

  Foreign Travel Insurance Request Form