Workers' Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

What Should I do if I have a Job Injury?Accident claim process

Report the injury to your supervisor right away. If your injury or illness developed over time, report it as soon as you learn or believe it was caused by your job. 

Reporting promptly helps prevent problems and delays in receiving benefits, including medical care you may need. If your employer does not learn about your injury within 30 days and this prevents your employer from fully investigating the injury and how you were injured, you could lose your right to receive workers' compensation benefits.

Get emergency treatment if you need it. Your employer may tell you where to go for treatment. Tell the health care provider who treats you that your injury or illness is job-related.

Fill out a claim form (DWC-1) along with a report of accident or incident form, and give to your supervisor or fax to Risk Management Services, (916) 278-2641. 

Can I be treated by my personal physician for a job related injury?

You have the right to be treated by your personal physician if the physician is designated prior to the injury or illness.  The physician must meet all the conditions set forth on the Employee Pre-designation of Personal Physician which are:

Workers comp form screenshot1. A written notice pre-designating the employee's personal physician or medical group is given in writing to the employee's employer prior to the date of injury for which treatment is sought and the notice includes the physician's name and business address;

2. The employee has healthcare coverage for non-occupational injuries or illnesses on the date of injury in a plan, policy or fund; and

3. The employee's personal physician or medical group agrees to be pre-designated prior to the dates of injury upon request, have your treatment transferred to your personal chiropractor or acupuncturist.

The designation remains in effect until written notice is received from the employee. Forms are available here:
Pre-designation of Personal Physician Form
Pre-designation of Personal Chiropractor or Acupuncturist Form