Support Page Content
Online Teaching & Learning
Instructional Design ServicesWe provide support services in instructional design, hybrid and online teaching and learning including but not limited to
- Course design through LMS and other technology tools
- Instructional strategies for enhancing interaction in online courses
- Workshops and consultation on course design, effective use of multimedia, collaboration tools, etc.
April Qian, Manager of Online Teaching and Learning firstname.lastname@example.org (916)278-6803
- Co-facilitate with College of Continuing Education the Summer Online Course Development Grant Program
- Faculty Learning Community on Hybrid and Online Teaching and Learning
- Training and support for Quality Matters project and participating faculty
- Support and co-facilitate New Faculty Welcome, Teaching Institute and other professional development events
- Support Affordable Learning Solutions (AL$) and Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Support for Office of Assessment in Outcome usage through Canvas
- Collaboration with departments interested in instructional design projects, hybrid and online course design or redesign
- Participate in CSU system-wide Instructional Design, Academic Technology and CSU Online group efforts
Workshops and Consultations
We offer small group hands-on workshops and discussions in a friendly environment where you can get your questions answered and try out new ideas and tools. Following is a list of topics and current offerings. If your would like to request a consultation or small group discussion, please contact us.
- What is a hybrid/online/flipped etc. course, and should I consider teaching one?
- How to re-design my course for better outcome assessment and student success?
- How to organize my course with Canvas using a Quality Matters template?
- How to use interactive and collaborative tools to engage student attention?
- How can I use images and videos to enhance student learning?
- What is Accessibility and Universal Design for Learning and how do I implement them?
Online Learning Resources
Sac State Resources
- Canvas Learning Management System Support at Sac State
- Self-paced online Canvas Course for Faculty "Growing with Canvas"
- Open Course on Designing and Teaching for Impact in Online Courses (developed by Indiana University, adapted by April)
- Sac State eLearning Policy
- Cal State Online (students can find transferrable courses from any CSU or California Community College campus, either on campus or online)
- CSU Fully Online
- CSU Teaching and Learning
- Online Learning Readiness Modules
- Free and cheap online training courses about Canvas and online teaching by CCC @One
Quality Assurance at Sac State
As part of its mission to support the development of high quality online courses, CTL contributes to and coordinates quality assurance efforts at Sac State, particularly through the Quality Matters (QM) organization and the CSU’s own Quality Online Learning & Teaching (QOLT) initiative. CSU Quality Assurance website has resources and information on both QM and QOLT for your reference.
Quality Matters (QM) is an international pioneer in the review and recognition of high quality online courses and an independent organization that supplies review materials, workshops, and review teams for member schools.
In addition to Quality Matters, CTL also coordinates Sac State’s quality assurance efforts with the Chancellor’s Office Quality Online Learning & Teaching (QOLT) program.
In response to the rapid growth of online and blended learning in the CSU and the need to support the development of high quality courses, the Chancellor’s Office established the QOLT initiative. Including a quality assurance evaluation instrument, faculty and staff workshops, and peer review processes, the QOLT program responds to the unique needs of CSU campuses and is available to all faculty at no cost. Download the QOLT review instrument.
To register for a quality assurance course, please review available courses here. (Fall Registration Courses aren't available yet, check back for a list of courses!)