Support Page Content
Quality Assurance Program at Sac State
In response to the rapid growth of online and hybrid learning in the CSU and the need to support the development of high quality courses, the Chancellor’s Office established a Quality Assurance (QA) program. The QA program responds to the unique needs of CSU campuses and is available to all faculty at no cost. The system-wide CSU Quality Assurance website provides more information about the program.
As part of its mission to support the development of high quality online courses, the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) and Academic Technology Services (ATS) contribute to and coordinate the QA efforts at Sacramento State, particularly through the Quality Matters (QM) organization and the CSU’s own Quality Learning & Teaching (QLT) initiative.
Quality Matters (QM) is an international pioneer in the review and recognition of high quality online courses and an independent organization that supplies review materials, workshops, and review teams for member schools.
faculty support and funding for QM course reviews
Support for Online or Hybrid Courses
The Quality Assurance (QA) program at Sacramento State provides support to faculty in the development and/or improvement of their hybrid and online courses. The opportunies for support include:
- Faculty learning communities and workshops focused on online and hybrid teaching and learning
- Peer mentoring and consultation
- Expert peer reviews of online and hybrid courses
- Professional development through QM and QLT online courses.
Sacramento State is a member of QM, a nationally recognized organization for its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement. This membership provides Sacramento State faculty and staff opportunities for QM peer reviews using the QM rubric.
Two peer review options are available to Sacramento State faculty to improve their online and hybrid courses: Internal Peer Reviews and Formal QM Reviews.
Internal Peer Reviews
Faculty will receive $250 in professional development funding upon successful completion of an internal review of an online or hybrid course. Requirements and steps to apply for an internal peer review of an online or hybrid course are outlined below.
Internal Review Process
For further information about the internal review process, please contact Michelle Dang or Mark Rodriguez.
Formal QM Reviews
Faculty will receive $250 in professional development funding upon successful completion of a formal QM review of an online or hybrid course. Requirements and steps to apply for a formal QM review of an online or hybrid course are outlined below.
Formal Review Process
For further information about the QM review process, please contact Michelle Dang or Tara Sharpp
QM Certified Courses
A QM certification signifies that a course has met a respected set of standards for high quality through a rigorous, faculty peer review process.
|ENGR 124: Thermodynamics||Farshid Zabihian|
|FASH 30: Fashion and Human Environment||Dong Shen|
|NURS 160: Human Sexuality||Michelle Dang|
|NURS 165: Hospice and Palliative Nursing Care (6-week version)||Tara Sharpp|
|NURS 165: Hospice and Palliative Nursing Care (16 week version)||Tara Sharpp|
|NURS 170: Foundations in Evidence-Based Nursing Practice||Michelle Dang|
|NURS 171: Transitional Concepts: The Baccalaureate Nurse||Bronwyn Fields|
|NURS 173: Theoretical Foundations for Leadership and Management||Tara Sharpp|
|NURS 178: Culminating Project||Christie Smart|
|PSYC 4: Navigating Psychology: The majors and Careers||Sharon Furtak|
|SWRK 102 Crosscultural Theory and Practice: Issues of Race, Gender and Class (16-week version)||Santos Torres, Jr.|
|SWRK 102: Crosscultural Theory and Practice: Issues of Race, Gender and Class (6-week version||Santos Torres, Jr.|
|SWRK 150: Welfare In America||Santos Torres, Jr.|
|SWRK 126: Theories of Criminal Behavior (6-week version)||Santos Torres, Jr.|
|SWRK 126: Theories of Criminal Behavior (16-week version)||Santos Torres, Jr.|
|SWRK 202: Social Work and Diverse Populations||Santos Torres, Jr.|
|SWRK 250: Social Welfare Policy and Services||Santos Torres, Jr.|
QM/QLT Course Offerings
|Course Title||Estimate Length|
|Introduction to Teaching Online Using QLT||Online, 15-20 hours, asynchronous|
|Designing Your Online Course QM||Online, 15-20 hours, asynchronous|
|Advanced Course in Teaching Online QLT||Online, 15-20 hours, asynchronous|
|Improving your Online Course QM||Online, 10-15 hours, asynchronous|
|Reviewing Courses Using the QLT Instrument (Q2)||Online, 10-15 hours, asynchronous|
|Applying the Quality Matters Rubric||Online, 10-15 hours, asynchronous|
Online & Hybrid Teaching Resources
- Register for QM/QLT Courses
- How to create a QM account to access QM resources
- Accessible Instructional Materials and Syllabus Templates
- How to Redesign Your Course for Online, Hybrid, or Technology-Enhanced
Quality Assurance Team
QA Faculty Co-Leads
- Michelle Dang, Professor (HHS)
- Mark Rodriguez, Professor (COE)
- Deborah George, Instructional Designer (CCE)
- Corinne Rowland, Universal Design for Learning Lead (IRT)
- Tara Sharpp, Associate Professor (HHS)
- Debra Welkley, Lecturer (SSIS)
Faculty / Staff with QM Certifications
- Lyndsay Anderson (Nursing): QM Teaching Online Certificate, Higher Ed (HE) Peer Reviewer
- Chia-Jung Chung (COE): HE Peer Reviewer
- Michelle Dang (Nursing): HE Peer Reviewer, HE Master Reviewer, HE QM Coordinator, HE Course Review Manager, QM Teaching Online Certificate, IYOC Facilitator
- Bronwyn Fields (Nursing): HE Peer Reviewer
- Deborah George (CCE): HE Peer Reviewer, HE Master Reviewer, CPE Peer Reviewer
- Milica Markovic (Electrical & Electronic Engineering): HE Certified F2F Facilitator, HE Course Review Manager, HE Master Reviewer, HE Peer Reviewer
- Mark Rodriguez (COE/Graduate and Professional Studies): HE Certified F2F Facilitator, HE Course Review Manager, HE Master Reviewer, HE Peer Reviewer, HE Program Certification Reviewer, HE QM Coordinator
- Corinne Rowland (IRT): HE Peer Reviewer
- Kara Shiner (Nursing): HE Peer Reviewer
- Christie Smart (Nursing): QM Teaching Online Certificate, HE Peer Reviewer
- Santos Torres (Social Work): HE Certified Online Facilitator, HE Certified Online IYOC Facilitator, HE Master Reviewer, PUB Master Reviewer, HE Peer Reviewer, PUB Peer Reviewer, HE Program Certification Reviewer
- Tara Sharpp (Nursing): HE Peer Reviewer, HE Master Reviewer, QM Teaching Online Certificate
- Debra Welkley (Sociology): HE Peer Reviewer, HE Master Reviewer, IYOC Facilitator