

CSUS Executive Safety Committee (ESC)

Tuesday, February 21, 2023 | 11:00 am – 12:00 pm | ZOOM

ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION ARE LISTED AT THE END

Note: If you no longer wish to be on the list, please get in touch with Risk Management Services, rms@csus.edu, (916) 278-6119

Call to order: 11:08 am Yvonne Bolano

Review and approve minutes for November: Approved

Open forum:

Michael Keenan: First question, I see that we have bike path on the agenda under old business. Which bike path are you referring to?

Gary Rosenblum: The bike path under the bridge.

Michael: Okay that good. I will hold my question for that section. The other thing was I have been marking trip hazards and potholes on the bicycle areas with paint. I have also been reporting them to Meysee. Do we know when those are going to get addressed? What's the status on those?

Meysee Vang: Currently I am compiling a list of all the trip hazards. I'm sharing that list with Facilities. They're currently working on ADA compliant sidewalks and walkways. The pictures you have sent me are all on the list as well. I hope they can get to them soon but I am not sure what their priorities are at the moment. Do we have anyone from Facilities in this meeting?

Yvonne Bolano: No, it doesn't look like it.

Gary: There are various budgets on campus that Facilities taps into for things like repairs to walk ways, path ways, etc. They're just subject to the natural problems of budget, time, and effort. They're on the list Facilities prioritizes ADA compliance for issues related to sidewalks and walkways. We can always send a note to Facilities to have them check out the issues.

Michael: I've had to paint over the problem areas 3 or 4 times many years now. I understand that there is a priority list and certain ADA things have to be done first. I am just trying to make sure certain projects are seen and aren't looked past. I do want to recognize that they did fix one of the big ones, the road by TSC and two under the Guy West Bridge. So, I appreciate that. But there are others that need to be fix and I'm just putting the reminders out.

Gary: We appreciate the effort to mark them and then bringing them to our attention. Meysee keeps the list and we'll just double back with Facilities and see if there are some that fall in that category. Large enough damages that need to be address quickly.

Dan Carsel: I have one point of information to share with everyone. A bill passed last year that requires all State University pharmacies to carry Narcan and have it available to them incase of an opioid overdose. Now that it has been implemented across campus we should also consider having training on how and when to administer the Narcan incase of emergency. Student Health and Counseling has connected with Gary and Janie and they are discussing the next steps.. Janie and I will be meeting soon to go over logistics.

But the plan is that we are to put the Narcan Nasal Spray in all of the AED devices across campus because they'll fit in there perfectly. All the AED's will be labeled and label will indicate a Narcan Nasal Spray will be

inside. Lastly there will also be a code imbedded on the label that you can scan on you phone and it will pull up instruction on application right at your fingertips. So please be award of that coming soon.

So just wanted to share that with everybody, anybody have any questions or comments?

Michael: Will the Narcan be tracked?

Dan: Yes and no. We will be tracking on how many we have so we make sure that they stay within date and stocked. But if they disappear, we're not really that upset, because the student can come to this to Student Health and Counseling, get one for free. We are getting it free from the county so we want them to be accessible in public. We won't be monitoring them because it's not expensive or dangerous.

Gary: Janie, do out AED boxes have alarms?

Janie: Yes, but they aren't really loud. We do monthly check ins of our AED so we will make sure that at least once a month they are stocked.

Dan Carsel: And the other thing I wanted to bring up is when I leave at night and it's dark, you make a right turn from white poplar, onto State University Drive. That's over by parking structure three over by the police department. When you make that turn, there's no light. The issue that I've come across is that the police department's been carrying them for years. The issue that I come across is that there's a median not that long after you make that right.

My urge s to go left as I get up to the light, up to the corner. The median is difficult to see because its not painted. So it might be helpful to have the beginning of the median painted yellow or something so it's more visible.

Gary: Okay, we'll add it to the list of things to bring to Facilities.

Yvonne: Thank you for sharing that information. Yeah, I will make note of that. So maybe we can bring that up to facilities. Painting it yellow or something for visibility. Maybe consider signage or a marker there.

Thank you for everyone's input so far. Does any one have anything else they would like to bring up during this open forum portion of the meeting?

New Business – OSHA 300 Form for 2022

Gary: February is the OSHA 300 month and by law were required to post and publicize the information that's on this form. The OSHA 300 form is the summary of work-related injuries and illnesses for the previous year. There is a more detailed OSHA 300 log that contains individual names, locations and details about the injury. This summary is posted on break room bulletin boards, posted to our RMS website, sent out electronically, and it will also be posted on the ESC web page.

So overall, we did very well. And last year, compared to the other CSU, we had the best rate for cases, what we considered dark cases, which is days away restricted cases. The breakdown is somebody has an injury that requires something beyond first aid, which is considered medical treatments, it gets put on the log. If the injury is more severe than medical treatment, and the person has to be out of work or work in some restricted potential. This means they can't do their full work because of lifting or some other restriction from the injury; that's called a transfer restriction case.

If you aren't able to work at all, and you're out because of work because of your injury, that is a day away from work. The way that OSHA calculates those days includes weekends; calendar days. The total number of days from work being to 13 and that averages to about 20 days a piece. Overall, the numbers are very good.

I also want to draw your attention over to the right column, visible in there is our classification code for university, but also down below is total hours worked by all employees last year, you may be surprised to know that university employees work 6 million hours over the course of the year. Are there any questions about our injury classifications performance?

Emergency Management Department Introduction

Gary: As a result of a lot of assessment and analysis between ABA, PD and RMS, we decided the function of the Emergency Manager would be all of the things that the university does for emergency management that aren't related to police activity. So the Emergency management department will transfer from the Police Department to the Risk Management Department. Now Risk Management Services includes risk management, workers compensation, environment, health and safety and emergency management.

Let me start by talking about the relationship of emergency management to the executive safety committee because this goes back to 2019, we changed the formal charge of the ESC. So, the idea is that emergency management planning would be vetted through the ESC committee. We would have a chance as a campus platform to look at things that are being planned for emergency management and have opinions and bring information back to our departments, etc.

There is a deeper dive of the function charge of the Emergency Management referring to the ESC minutes Sept 17, 2019. Every year the emergency management plan will be reviewed by the emergency manager and will also come through the executive safety committee.

The emergency management policy, the emergency management program, the executive order that requires a business continuity program, emergency operations plan (EOP), Emergency Operations Center (EOC), Building Preparedness Program (BPP), and the Emergency Notification System (ENS).

The policy includes the employee handbook, which describes what needs to happen during an emergency situation. The campus mutual aid assistance agreement that just came into effect between universities to share resources in the event of emergencies and disasters.

Introduction of Janie Mutchler, the new Emergency Manager.

Janie: My strategic plan for this year is to get our EOC personnel up to date. There are some vacant positions that we need to fill, whether it is a primary or a secondary position. So be expecting the letters to come out soon and get ready for our tabletop exercise after the active shooter training. I will be doing Emergency Operations Center evaluation of the physical location of our EOC. So, we're looking at our current location, which is up in Folsom Hall on the second floor. We are also going to review other locations such as Capital Public Radio or the Julia Morgan house based on the location of where they are.

I will also be updating our emergency response manual, especially the employee version because it's very long and tedious to read. So, I would like to edit the document to make it easier to read in case of emergency. Maybe we'll have like a pocket guide for the emergency response. I want to make this as easy as possible for anybody who needs to respond because it is a lot of information.

I'll also be reviewing our campus EOP and our campus COOP, which is our continuity of operation plans in case something happens. The whole campus has to get together and use our campus wide business continuity plan. And part of that is going to be reviewing each department building BCPs. Don's been working very hard on creating a new academic continuity plan form. So, we can make BCP as easy as we can for our academic groups. So far those are my goals for this year.

Yvonne: Thank you Jamie that was great! We have a couple of questions. Nicole asked who is the active shooter training aimed for.

Christina: We have different trainings going on right now. One is the first responder training for March 20. The second one is the one Janie and the team is working on with us for a tabletop EOC active shooter training. And then I also put the link in the chat to the like a training video that we push out to the campus community. So our students, staff and faculty. Does that answer the question?

Nicole S. Fox: Yeah, thank you. I just was referring to the one Janie was talking about. There has been some really interesting research about active shooting training and how most of them are training the student body. The concern is that since its typically the students who engage in the attack, we are essentially training potential shooters on how we will respond to an active shooter event.

Christina: there is a public response for students and the community but then there will also be training that the EOC and the Police department are coordinating that isn't public training.

Patrice Griffith: Janie, do you mind elaborating more about what Folsom Hall and the Julia Morgan house would be considered for?

Janie: The EOC is the Emergency Operation Center.

Patrice: So, in case of emergency.

Janie: in case of emergency and we have to gather all of our leads together in order to deal with whatever the situation is.

Patrice: So, during that process, I don't know if you recommend to the president, the committee or how that works, but we would need to be involved. Even if it makes it to a stage two, and you're considering it, we would have to look at the facilities to see whether it's available to house that type of equipment and telecommunication. that's something that we'd really like to be involved on our end. So please feel free to reach out to me.

Janie: We can definitely do that. We are thinking about what type of power can we get to it? Emergency power? What kind can we install? When it comes to the Julia Morgan, I know we can't install diesel Over there?

Patrice: Yeah and I recommend with a storm situation, that would not be a good location,

Janie: Right. So those are the things we have to consider.

Gary: Let me just throw in quickly that the emergency operations center, EOC, is called upon by the President in the event of a certain level of emergency, it could be fires, it can be floods, it could be shooter. And it involves the group as the standard emergency management system. And so we have different groups that have different functions.

There's the **Command** group that connects with the President and cabinet and all the heads of the departments. **Operations** performs the emergency tasks, like search and rescue. **Logistics**, they are responsible for acquiring supplies for the people who are responding. **Planning**, acquires information and intel on what's happening now, what's happening tomorrow, what's happening in a week. **Finance**, which is keeping track of all the money aspects of an emergency and how much money is being spent in the emergency.

All those different groups have to function separately, but then get together and give the command center the info and intel on a regular basis. It could be 24/7 during the course of an emergency, depending on what it is.

Janie: In the 13 years I've here, I don't think we've ever actually opened the EOC at full capacity ever, other than on VEOC? Yes, fingers crossed, keep it that way.

Gary: We had it open virtually during the pandemic. The sections weren't filled out, we just have the leaders of each sections.

Old Business-Bike Path

Jeff Dierking: We're looking at the accelerated speed coming down off that ramp, and then entering into the pedestrian walkway off of the Guy West bridge. To work on mitigating some of that speed, we're going through first design refresh process. Currently we have four signs on the approach; they're white, they're outdated, they're not very visible. We're going to change those out with some of the more standard high visible bicycle signs that does address the slowdown caution cross traffic ahead.

Along with that, we're also going to be doing some limit line painting. As they encroach upon that pedestrian access point, we'll be looking at a limit line in red saying 'slow down' and then a series of those on the approach. So it's highly visible again, and non-slip paint. So, we have the work orders in for this painting process to begin with facilities right now. Then we're in the process of ordering the new signs to install along that approach.

With the addition of a lot more notifications upon approach that something is coming and that they need to slow down, we can reinforce with the individuals on the in the field when it comes to people moving too quickly through that path of travel.

So that's kind of where we're at right now. We have the work orders in place. And we're just waiting for this process to begin.

Don Nahhas: First thing was the stop sign that has been taken down from in front of Brighton Humbolt area has a cone right now. It's been gone for quite some time. Is that in the works to be replaced?

Secondly, coming from the River Front Center to the Union, bicyclist is coming and going through that area and they don't stop for pedestrians. They weave in and out and near missing pedestrians. Can we get some stop signs or CSO's or officers enforcing the policies of the campus?

Jeff: In that location is mostly in front of the River Front Center. Is that what your referring to?

Don: No, its more the pathway going between Sinclair where they come off the bridge. It looks like cyclist that come off that bridge are using the campus pathways to get to their destination. No one stops at the stop sign or for pedestrians.

Christina: What we can do is we can pass it on to our patrol teams to be aware of that issue, especially in that particular area. In terms of if there's needed enforcement, but we can't really do much if there's not appropriate signage. So, we'd have to take a closer look.

Michael: I think if there were signs that said yield to pedestrians, it may or may not be helpful, but I think it would it would be more applicable. It would be a reminder to other so they know what's expected of them. Another thing is that that road along Jed Smith, I'm concerned about that being a high trafficked area and the many different speeds that everyone is at (walking, bikes, electric scooters). This could be very dangerous because most pedestrians are so distracted with their phones; they don't bother pay attention.

I think the bigger picture is that we don't really have a good separation of the bike and pedestrians now while he's going to have crossings rights that we were talking about earlier. For instance, that short strip of road next to Brighton Hall that the Herkie uses. That road doesn't get a lot pedestrian traffic, I think that's like kind of a good example of some separation. I propose to take out one of the lanes of Jed Smith, and make that a very, very wide sidewalk. That may encourage, you know, pedestrians to walk on the sidewalk, and then that would give a slightly more protected area for the higher speed traffic.

Jeff: Yes, we can look at that. I think what he is referring to is the Moraga Bay Area, coming down from that area is a lot of mixing pedestrian and traffic.

We're looking to close that access off and installing a gate arm installed there so that we don't have that being used as a major thoroughfare but we do have it accessible for Herkie for intercampus mobility issues. So we will have that there and trying to reduce any additional traffic that's on that roadway and having it mostly be pedestrian travel with our main, access point for bicycles. Moving along, Sinclair kind of connecting us between the Guy West Bridge and the morning crossing.

Michael: To the east of Riverside Hall between the bike compound and Riverside Hall, and then kind of right also in front of the union there. So just beyond the bookstore, where it's Jed Smith Drive. I see it every day people weaving in and out. I try and stay on the line to kind of help hope but people spread out and when they're walking, they're not thinking about. And bicycle traffic saunter across the middle of the road.

Gary: That area is designated with the green stripe. It steers people away from the inner part of campus we're hoping we're trying to keep it more pedestrian. But that section is pretty multi-use and people are crossing it is busy. Fortunately, the statistics aren't showing the incidence of accidents but we do have some near misses and concerns. There have been people who voiced their concern about mixing pedestrian and wheeled devices.

Jeff: It is in the area right off where we're working on the slowdown in the sign refreshes. Hopefully we can establish this trend through that corridor there along our main bicycle access points so that those on wheels know to slow down and be aware cross traffic in those area to try to mitigate some of these near hits or near misses, things like that.

Michael: But the skateboarders? You know, they are they have increased in numbers. And sometimes they have moved down Jed Smith Drive. I've seen them playing on Jed Smith's drive, in front of the union and via the bookstore there. Gary, do we have an update on that.

Gary: Well, I've actually started a process by talking to the skaters. What I'm trying to do is, it's not a rapid fix, but a long-term fix, which is to create another location where they can skateboard and not be close to buildings and people and that sort of thing. We're currently in the process of working with Facilities to throw some numbers together, see how much that would cost. And we're making progress.

Building something of that nature on campus isn't going to be instant. I'm hoping with in a year or two we can have something more substantial. The only other fix we're going to have was to talk to them and convince them to not be as aggressive in spreading out and keeping to themselves and but it's hard to manage them through coercion or enforcement. We're trying to manage them through encouraging them to do a better job of managing themselves. So, it sounds like it's time to have another meeting with the representative from the stakeholders.

Michael: As the new people come in; it would be wise to remind those that use wheels on campus to be more respectful of the pedestrians around to be.

Yvonne: I wanted to bring up question for us to think about for the next ESC meeting. Since we are taking a more educational standpoint for this "wheels on campus" issue; maybe it would be wise to set up some sort of required training for students and employees. Something similar to the mandatory sexual assault training that the students have to take before they start their semester.

So, if that is all, we will conclude our meeting here at 11:57 am

IN ATTENDANCE:

*Safety Committee Labor Representatives

Yvonne Bolano, ASC II Risk Management

Gary Rosenblum, AVP of Risk Management, Chair

Meysee Vang, Compliance Analyst of Risk Management

Don Nahhas, Software and Data Analyst, Risk Management

Susan Colley-Monk, Analyst in Risk Management

Janie Mutchler, Training/Occupational Safety Specialist

Margaret Elizabeth Reece, Director, Operational Effectiveness & Efficiency

Tyler Harris, Director of Environmental Health and Safety

Benham Arad, Professor, Computer Science and Computer Engineering, Interim Dean

Christina Lofthouse, Police Lieutenant of CSUS Police Department

Brent Moffatt, Physical Security & IT Manager of Security and Administration

Tony Lucus, AVP of Business & Administrative Services

Michael Keenan, OS Analyst of College of Engineering & Computer Science

Patrice Griffith, Director of Property Services

Jazmine Erazo, Student

Jennifer O'Neal-Watts, Copyright Specialist of the University Library

Dan Carsel, Director of Health Services

Martinique Baker, ASC II of Student Academic Success & Educational Equity Programs

Bill Macriss, AVP for Student Engagement & Success; Dean of Students

Nicole S. Fox, Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice Division

Chet Madison, Chief of Police of Police Department

Jeff Dierking, Director, University Transportation & Parking Services (UTAPS)

Nayeli P. Gonzalez, Youth Protection Program Analyst or Risk Management

Nancy Griggs, Executive Assistant of Anchor University Initiatives

Kevan Shafizadeh Dean of College of Engineering & Computer Science

Shannon L. Datwyler, Interim Associate Dean for Student Success NSM

Erik Skall, Manager Grounds & Landscape Services of Facilities