Support Page Content
Language & Literacy
The Master of Arts in Language and Literacy is a 30-unit program designed for the administrator, the classroom teacher, and the specialist teacher of language and literacy for pre-K thru adults. Sixty percent of classes are held online, making it easier for working professionals to participate.
- prepares teachers to work with students with reading difficulties.
- prepares teachers for language and literacy leadership roles at school and district levels.
You’ll leave ready to assume such roles as:
- Literacy coach
- Professional developer
- Instructional designer
- Leadership roles in language arts
About the Program
Sacramento State Language and Literacy ClinicAt the Center for Counseling and Diagnostic Services
The Sacramento State Language and Literacy Clinic provides diagnostic literacy assessment of pre-kindergarten children, school-age children, and adults. Assessments focus on all areas of literacy development: reading, spelling, and writing. Informal and comprehensive assessments are used to identify literacy levels and more specific areas of concern such as reading readiness, reading fluency, reading comprehension, writing, spelling and word recognition issues. Assessments and evaluations investigate letter knowledge, phonemic awareness, decoding, fluency, and comprehension. The clinic addresses concerns about potential reading differences. Following the literacy assessment process, the teachers at the center will provide families/clients with findings from the assessments to include a written report and recommendations for next steps.
Many parents ask for tutoring options following the diagnostic testing or, even without testing, want to have reading tutoring assistance for their children. The Sacramento State Language and Literacy Clinic offers literacy tutoring in the fall and spring each year. Literacy tutoring will occur twice per week from 6-6:45 PM on the fourth floor of Eureka Hall room 421. There will be 16 sessions all together. If you are interested in enrolling your child in this after school reading tutoring program, please contact the Center for Counseling and Diagnostic Services at (916) 278-6252 to ask questions or to be placed on our e-mail list to receive the announcement of the new semester. Because the Sacramento State Language and Literacy Center is affiliated with the CSUS Master’s program, our clinic hours work within the fall/spring class schedule. Generally, evaluation and tutoring appointments are Tuesday and Thursday evenings during the academic semester. Thus, tutoring in the academic year is offered twice weekly to a limited number of children. Our general fee for 16 sessions will be waived for fall of 2018. We will resume payment in Spring, 2019. Tutoring will begin October 2 and last for 8 weeks, two times per week for 45 minutes each session.
Cancellations for diagnostic testing and for tutoring must be made two weeks prior to your appointment. The clinic hours work within the allotted class schedule. We are not able to do make-up sessions due to absences. If a student misses more than two tutoring appointments, he or she will be dropped to make space for others to receive tutoring.
If you are interested in enrolling your child in this after school tutoring program or inquiring about diagnostic assessment, please contact the Sacramento State Language and Literacy Clinic, housed in the Center for Counseling and Diagnostic Services (916) 278-6252, Eureka Hall Room 421 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819.
For further questions, contact Dr. Porfirio Loeza (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Marcy Merrill (email@example.com).
FALL 2019 REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.
- The clinic offers tutoring for clients who are below grade level readers and/or writers.
- The literacy strengths and needs of each learner determined through diagnostic testing (also available as a separate service).
- A targeted intervention plan is developed for each client.
- Emphasis is on developmental instruction and positive learning experiences that cater to the needs of the learner.
- Placement is based on the date of receipt of your registration form. Register early!
- Complete the registration form by clicking on the button above.
- The Language and Literacy Clinic offers unparalleled opportunities for learning and research.
- Tutors receive feedback as we monitor tutoring sessions in tutoring rooms. All information about the client is kept private.
Dr. Porfirio Loeza
Dr. Marcy Merrill
Branch Chair: Dr. Carlos Nevarez