Support Page Content
Hornet Science Scholars
Summer Research Program
The Hornet Science Scholars Summer Program assists low-income, high-achieving transfer students in their transition to Sacramento State by providing academic, social, and mentored research support. As a participant in the HSS Summer Program, students will participate in the following activities:
- Undergraduate research and mentored by a Sacramento State faculty member within the departments housed within the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM).
- Certification in research ethics
- NSM Poster Session to be held during the Fall semester.
- Career Advising is provided by a Hornet Science Scholars faculty advisor.
This grant is funded through the National Science Foundation (S-STEM, NSF DUE 1644273),
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at Sacramento State, having spent at least two semesters at a community college prior to transfer
- U.S. Citizens, nationals, or aliens admitted as refugees or lawfully admitted (per sec. 101(a) and 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act).
- Eligible for the Pell grant.
- 3.0 GPA across all STEM courses and 3.0 GPA overall. Special consideration will be given to students who have overcome significant barriers in their educational journey and show promise, but whose GPA may have been hindered by financial hardship).
Students selected for the program will be awarded a stipend of $4000 upon completion of programmatic requirements, which include:
- A minimum of 200 hours of research in the laboratory of a Sacramento State faculty member or work in an unpaid internship off-campus of your choosing
- If doing research on campus, your research lab will get up to $500 in research funds.
- Participation in all HSS Summer Program activities as listed above in the program description.
- Please note that the stipend will be disbursed in 3 payments upon completion of programmatic milestones.
Application and Submission Deadline:
The deadline for applications is April 18th and should be submitted via E-mail to Mary Madamba at email@example.com. However, applications will be accepted until all slots are filled. If you have questions regarding the program, the application, or help with the application, please contact Dr. Jennifer Lundmark (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Enid González-Orta (email@example.com) for assistance.