FAQ - Disbursement

Once I accept my aid, how long before I receive my financial aid?

This depends on a variety of factors, but you should review your My Sac State Student Center frequently:

  1. Clear financial aid holds that require action. Holds are listed in the "Holds" section.  Financial aid holds do not prevent registration.  Click "Details" in the holds box for specific information.
  2. Submit all "initiated" To Do List items.  Click "more" in the To Do List box.  Submit all requested documents promptly. 
  3. Note: Disbursements begin one week before the start of the semester.


How will I receive my refund?

Get your money faster and sign up for eRefund. eRefund is the process in which refunds are deposited directly into your bank account. All refunds, including financial aid, fee overpayments and housing refunds are available through eRefund. Go to My Sac State to get started.

Students who have not signed up for eRefund will receive a check mailed to the student's permanent address. All Parent PLUS loan checks are mailed directly to the address provided on the Master Promissory Note.  In some instances you may be required to pick up your check at the Bursar's Office. 


Do I need to have 12 units in order to receive financial aid?

The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office offers aid based on full-time enrollment.  You do not have to be enrolled in full-time units for a disbursement of aid.  Prior to each disbursement, the system will verify the number of units you are currently enrolled in and then disburse and adjust aid accordingly.


What is considered full-time or half-time enrollment for an undergraduate or graduate student?

The chart below summarizes the enrollment status (for aid purposes), based on unit load for undergraduates and graduates.

Enrollment Status Undergraduate Graduate
Full-time 12 units 7 or more units
3/4 time 9-11 units N/A
1/2 time 6-8 units 4-6 units


Did not find what you are looking for?  Visit our Disbursement Policy page for more information.

Rev. 8/2016