Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a job that helps eligible students earn funds for educational expenses while providing work experience.  Receiving a FWS offer does not guarantee you a job. Job placement depends on a number of factors including your skills and abilities and your availability to work certain hours.

The FWS award works differently than all other aid programs, in that it is not disbursed to pay university debt like a Pell Grant or student loan, but rather you earn the funds by working and the monies are disbursed to you in the form of a paycheck. Every month your paycheck is deducted from your FWS award. Both you and your supervisor are responsible for keeping track of your earnings and you should not exceed your FWS award amount.

Submit a Request

  1. Submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office in a timely manner
  2. Submit your FAFSA as close to October 1 as possible and indicate "yes" you are interested in the Work Study Program
  3. Completed files are awarded in a first-come first-serve order until the campus' allocation has been exhausted
  4. If you are not awarded FWS after receiving your award letter, you may submit a FWS Request form. Do not submit this form until you have received your financial aid award letter
  5. You must meet and maintain the minimum eligibility requirements for FWS (Student Employment Policies & Guidelines) (pdf)

NOTE: FWS funds are limited and we are unable to award all interested students

Continuing FWS Students

Awarding for continuing students will begin mid-June.  If you are returning for the Fall semester. Your will not know your FWS status until after your financial aid file is complete.  There are many factors considered such as meeting program eligibilities, meeting satisfactory academic progress and academic standards, etc.   The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office will be evaluating eligibility requirements after your Spring grades post.  You must wait to be approved for FWS.

Finding a FWS Job / Hiring Process

  • FWS jobs are posted online through Career Connection beginning July 1
  • It is highly recommended that you follow the FWS Student Employee Hiring Instructions (pdf) to navigate through the on-campus or off-campus employment hiring process
  • The Student Employment Payroll Transaction Form (SEPTF) can be completed by your employer or by the FWS Coordinator

FWS Orientation Sessions

The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office partners with Career Connection to provide orientation sessions for students interested in participating in the FWS program.   Orientation attendance is not mandatory but recommended if you are new to the program and are generally held in June - July.  Refer to the FWS Orientation Notification letter sent for registration information.

Performance Evaluation

Student Employees are expected to behave ethically and professionally and are subject to standard University regulations. Violations of department/school work rules (e.g., poor performance, insubordination, absenteeism, dishonesty, theft, substance abuse, misuse of university property, etc.), will be addressed accordingly.

  • Student assistants are entitled to an annual performance review. Supervisors may use the updated Division of Student Affairs Student Performance Report
  • The Departmental Student Performance Report is a template that should be adapted to each specific department. It is designed to facilitate a conversation between the student assistant and his or her supervisor during the evaluation process
  • Supervisors must provide a copy to the student and maintain a signed copy for the student’s employee file

Quit or Terminate a FWS Job

If you decide to quit or terminate your FWS job, it is expected that you will follow professional business protocol and provide your supervisor with a two-week notice. When terminating your FWS position, complete the FWS Adjustment Form.  You will have one of three options:

  • Terminate employment*
  • Terminate employment and look for a new FWS job

*To request additional loan funds you must complete the CHANGE-IN Aid e-form.  The loan amount will depend on your remaining annual and/or lifetime loan eligibility

Note:  Although you may submit FWS Adjustment form now, we cannot make adjustments in the middle of a pay period. We will hold this request and process it when payroll is posted to the University system.  This can take up to sixty (60) days.  

 Additional Information