California State University, Sacramento

Skip to Main Content

University Development Sacramento State

Support Page Content

FAQ's and Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I contact for more information?

The staff in University Development and University Advancement will be happy to assist you with any questions you might have. Please go to the "Meet Us" section to view a list of staff and their contact information.

What is university development?

University Development is housed in the Division of University Advancement. Development personnel seek philanthropic support for Sacramento State by building and nurturing long-term relationships with Sacramento State alumni and friends. With decreasing state funding, the University is increasingly reliant on private support to support enhanced programming and services for our students.

The Division of University Advancement at Sacramento State is comprised of the following units:

  • Campaign & Principal Gifts
  • Development
  • Annual Giving
  • Advancement Services
  • Alumni Relations

Where does my gift go?

Simply stated, your gift is used where you designate it to be used.

Private support to Sacramento State is given through The University Foundation at Sacramento State, which serves as the primary philanthropic auxiliary for the University, actively supporting the mission of teaching, learning and service by acquiring and managing financial and other resources for the University. Gifts made to the University Foundation at Sacramento State for the benefit of the University are voluntary investments from individuals, corporations and philanthropic foundations and are deposited through a 501(c)(3) organization. The University Foundation, through its exercise of trust and fiduciary responsibility, gives donors additional confidence that their gifts will be used in accordance with their wishes and to enhance programs rather than replace state support.

How is my gift used?

Gifts to Sacramento State are used to support students, University programs and faculty. Donors can designate a destination for their gift, or give to programs like the President’s Circle or the Dean’s Circle, in which funds are used to meet the University’s and Colleges’ most pressing needs. Gifts must always be used in accordance with a donor's wishes and may not be reallocated to other programs without prior consent of the donor.

Are My Gifts Deductible — and What Is Sac State's Tax ID Number?

The University Foundation at Sacramento State is a 501(c)(3) organization. Gifts in support of the University’s mission, goals and programs are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult with your tax attorney or financial advisor to determine if your gift is tax-deductible.

The federal tax identification number for the University Foundation at Sacramento State is 94-3001359.

Will I receive a tax receipt letter for my gift?

Yes. After we process your transaction, whether your gift was made via mail, phone, online or in person, we will mail you an official tax receipt letter for your records.

What can I do to make sure my gift provides for the long-term future of Sacramento State and its students?

Establishing an endowment is the best way to ensure long-term support for the University. With a minimum gift of $10,000, an endowed fund provides Sacramento State with an annual income stream to be spent for the fund’s designated purpose, while the principal of the fund remains intact in perpetuity. Endowments can be used to fund scholarships and other programs or departments.

What if I can't make a gift now, but want to leave a legacy at Sacramento State?

Include Sacramento State in your estate planning, perhaps through a bequest. A bequest gives you the flexibility to stipulate a specific dollar amount or portion of your estate be used for either general or specific purposes while retaining control of the property or assets during your lifetime. You can also name the University as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, IRA or pension fund, and other vehicles, which may provide tax savings. Please see the Planned Giving page for resources and more information.

How can I honor a family member, friend or former professor?

Naming opportunities exist for many campus programs at a number of giving levels. The most common form of tribute is a scholarship. Scholarships can be established by an individual, a group or an organization. Donors can choose to provide non-endowed scholarships or endowed scholarships. Non-endowed scholarships can be given on a “one-time” basis or through an annual donation. Endowed scholarships, which require a gift of $10,000 or more, preserve the fund over time, offering the chance to recognize the individual in perpetuity. Tributes can include endowing a department chair or a professor.

How do I make a planned gift, yet continue to receive income?

There are planned giving programs in place, such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts, which allow you to earn income while making a gift to the University and receiving tax deductions. For more information on planned giving, please click here, or call University Development at (916) 278-6989.

Where can I find more information?

For more information on giving to Sacramento State, contact University Development at (916) 278-6989. Or if you would like someone to contact you, click here to provide your contact information.

Where and How to Give

Checks can be made payable to:

The University Foundation at Sacramento State
Attn: Development Office
6000 J Street, MS 6030
Sacramento Hall 118
Sacramento,CA 95819

Please note the fund in the memo area of the check.

See Ways to Give for more information on how to support Sacramento State.

How can I request to be contacted by a development staff member?

If you would like someone from the University Development staff to contact you, email to provide your contact information and your question or subject of interest.

Forms and Other Information

The Office of University Development oversees fundraising for Sacramento State. If you are interested in raising funds to benefit the University, please call the Development Office at (916) 278-6989 or