Frequently-Asked Questions

Where does my gift go?
Simply stated, your gift is used where you designate it to be used.

Private support to Sacramento State is given through The University Foundation at Sacramento State, which serves as the primary philanthropic auxiliary for the University, actively supporting the mission of teaching, learning and service by acquiring and managing financial and other resources for the University. Gifts made to the University Foundation at Sacramento State for the benefit of the University are voluntary investments from individuals, corporations and philanthropic foundations and are deposited through a 501(c)(3) organization. The University Foundation, through its exercise of trust and fiduciary responsibility, gives donors additional confidence that their gifts will be used in accordance with their wishes and to enhance programs rather than replace state support.

How is my gift used?
Gifts to Sacramento State are used to support students, University programs and faculty. Donors can designate a destination for their gift, or give to programs like the President’s Circle or the Dean’s Leadership Circle, in which funds are used to meet the University’s most pressing needs. Gifts must always be used in accordance with a donor's wishes and may not be reallocated to other programs without prior consent of the donor.

Is my gift tax-deductible?
The University Foundation at Sacramento State is a 501(c)(3) organization. Gifts in support of the University’s mission, goals and programs are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult with your tax attorney or financial advisor to determine if your gift is tax-deductible.

How much should I give to Sacramento State?
Gifts to the Sac State Fund or College Annual Fund can be made in any amount and allow you to include the University as a regular part of your ongoing philanthropic efforts. Many employers supply matching funds, often even those made by retirees and/or spouses, which can double or triple the value of your gift.

What can I do to make sure my gift provides for the long-term future of Sacramento State and its students?
Establishing an endowment is the best way to ensure long-term support for the University. With a minimum gift of $10,000, an endowed fund provides Sacramento State with an annual income stream to be spent for the fund’s designated purpose, while the principal of the fund remains intact in perpetuity. Endowments can be used to fund scholarships and other programs or departments.

What if I can't make a gift now, but want to leave a legacy at Sacramento State?
Include Sacramento State in your estate planning, perhaps through a bequest. A bequest gives you the flexibility to stipulate a specific dollar amount or portion of your estate be used for either general or specific purposes while retaining control of the property or assets during your lifetime. You can also name the University as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy, IRA or pension fund, and other vehicles, which may provide tax savings.

How do I make a planned gift, yet continue to receive income?
There are planned giving programs in place, such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts, which allow you to earn income while making a gift to the University and receiving tax deductions. For more information on planned giving, call University Development at (916) 278-6989.

How can I honor of a family member, friend or former professor?
Naming opportunities exist for many campus programs at a number of giving levels. The most common form of tribute is a scholarship. Scholarships can be established by an individual, a group or an organization. Donors can choose to provide non-endowed scholarships or endowed scholarships. Non-endowed scholarships can be given on a “one-time” basis or through an annual donation. Endowed scholarships, which require a gift of $10,000 or more, preserve the fund over time, offering the chance to recognize the individual in perpetuity. Tributes can include endowing a department chair or a professor.

In what other ways can I get involved with Sac State?
There are many ways to get involved with a program or group The Alumni Association is a great way to connect to your alma mater. The Hornet Club supports Sac State athletics. Parents and families of students are invited to join the Parents & Families Program. Businesses are encouraged to partner with the University through internship programs. Attend a performance, a lecture or an athletic event on campus or join Sac State’s online community on Facebook.

Where can I find more information?
For more information on giving to Sacramento State, contact University Development at (916) 278-6989 or visit our online forms and campus support information.

Where and How to Give

Checks can be made payable to:

The University Foundation at Sacramento State
Attn: Development Office
6000 J Street
Sacramento Hall 118
Sacramento,CA 95819-6290

Please note the fund in the memo area of the check.