Applicants With Foreign Documents

General Information

NEW! Cal State Apply - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

PLEASE NOTE: These instructions are for domestic U.S. applicants (US Citizens, Resident Aliens or H visa), International students (F or J Visas) must apply through International Admissions. Do NOT fill out the general graduate studies application as it will slow down your application process.

Will California State University, Sacramento accept my documents from a foreign country?

California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State) will accept applications from all countries. Please see the Countries list for specific requirements for each country. If your country is not listed, then please continue on to Required Documents.

Will California State University, Sacramento accept an outside evaluation of my documents?

Sacramento State will ONLY accept evaluations from World Education Services (WES). Applicants have the option of having WES or Sacramento State evaluate their documents. Applicants electing to have WES do the evaluation, do so at their own expense. The university will not reimburse applicants. The applicants should select the WES INTERNATIONAL CREDENTIAL ADVANTAGE PACKAGE (ICAP) Course by Course Evaluation.

When will the university begin evaluation of my documents?

You must file an on-line application, pay the application fee and submit the documents as directed in the Required Documents section or the Specific Countries list of this webpage. Documents should come in the native language along with an English Translation. Once the file is completed as directed, the university will begin the document evaluation.

What if my institution will not provide an English translation of my documents?

Please visit our Translation page for information.

How soon should I have my documents submitted?

All foreign documents should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies one (1) month prior to the posted deadline of the program to which you are applying. 

Some countries take longer to send documents than others; applicants should request their documents several months before the application deadline date. Please use our Request for Academic Records form when requesting your academic records.

Please do not send transcripts before you apply.  If you are not yet in our system when they arrive, they may not be matched to your application, and your application will be delayed.

How long after I have submitted all the required documents will the evaluation from the university take?

On campus evaluations can take 6-12 weeks once your file is completed as directed.

Do I have to take TOEFL or another English Language Proficiency exam?

If you earned a degree from an institution located in a nation where English is not the official language, you must take TOEFL or IELTS or Pearson’s Test of English Academic, please click on the Language Testing Requirement for specific information.

I want to apply for a Teaching Credential and they said that I have to get my documents evaluated by an outside agency. What should I do?

Individuals applying to the Teaching Credential Program will also have to submit an outside evaluation of their academic records with a supplemental credential program application. This outside evaluation is required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). For this reason, it is recommended that credential program applicants have their documents evaluated by WES, since the Commission will accept the WES evaluation as well. For more information on the Teaching Credential Program, please visit their web page:

Where should I have my documents sent?

All Documents should be sent to:

California State University, Sacramento
Office of Graduate Studies
River Front Center 215, MS 6112
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819

The program I am applying to, requires supplemental materials, where do I send those?

Department supplemental materials may be uploaded using your MySacState login information at:

Letters of Recommendations must be sent directly to the department in unopened envelopes from the recommender. Please check with the department regarding all supplemental material.