Application Information & Procedures

General Information

NEW! Cal State Apply - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

PLEASE NOTE: These instructions are for domestic U.S. applicants (US Citizens, Resident Aliens or H visa), International students (F or J Visas) must apply through International Admissions. Do NOT fill out the general graduate studies application as it will slow down your application process.

We are a vibrant, comprehensive university with eight colleges that offer 46 master's degree programs, a joint doctorate in Public History, a doctorate in Physical Therapy and an independent doctorate in Educational Leadership.

This information is only for applicants interested in Doctorate Degrees, Master's Degrees, Teaching Credentials or Post-Baccalaureate Study, those seeking a Bachelor’s degree or a Second Bachelor’s degree should contact Undergraduate Admissions.

SPECIAL NOTICE: By order of the CSU Chancellor's Office, Graduate Admission Application Fee Waivers have been discontinued. All post-baccalaureate/graduate applicants must pay the $55 non-refundable application fee.


Admission into programs leading to licensure and credentialing does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or credential. Licensure and credentialing requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the CSU and requirements can change at any time. For example, licensure or credentialing requirements can include evidence of the right to work in the United States (e.g., social security number or tax payer identification number) or successfully passing a criminal background check.  Students are responsible for determining whether they can meet licensure or credentialing requirements. The CSU will not refund tuition, fees, or any associated costs, to students who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet licensure or credentialing requirements.  Information concerning licensure and credentialing requirements are available from the department or program. Please see our Graduate Programs page for contact information

How do I apply?

Applying to graduate school at Sacramento State entails a simultaneous two part process:

  1. Submitting Online Application , Fees & Documentation
    • Complete Online Application by the program's posted deadline at
    • Submit transcripts and other documents to the Office of Graduate Studies by the Application Deadline for your program (if you have foreign documents they are due one month prior to the posted deadline of the program you applied/will apply to).  Please note that we do not have access to transcripts submitted through Cal State Apply, so all Official Transcripts can be addressed to or dropped off at:
      • Office of Graduate Studies
        California State University, Sacramento
        Riverfront Center, Room 215, MS 6112
        6000 J St.
        Sacramento, CA 95819
  2. Department Supplemental Applications

    Some programs require a supplemental application, which must be obtained from the department/program.  It is the responsibility of every applicant to confirm that they are in compliance with the department/program instructions for completing/submitting supplemental application materials.

    If the program you applied to requires additional documents and uses the Office of Graduate Studies' Document Upload link, you can uploaded them using your SacLink account at .  Support information regarding uploading supplemental documents is available at: 

    If Letters of Recommendations are required by your program, then you should initiate them via the online request process that is also available on this website.  Please visit your program’s website to confirm whether or not they have a Letter of Recommendation form that you would need to include with your requests.  It is your responsibility to ensure that Letter of Recommendation requests are submitted with any required forms and/or information.  Support information regarding the online Letter of Recommendation request system is available at:  Contact the program you applied to for additional information on Letters of Recommendations and any supplemental materials they may require.

Can I file a paper application?

Please note that California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State) will only accept electronically filed applications (exception: department supplemental applications can be download and printed out, completed, scanned and uploaded).

My department requires supplemental documents. How can I submit them?

Please check with your department to see how they prefer supplemental documents to be submitted.   Do not submit/attach any supplemental materials to Cal State Apply at this time as they will not be reviewed/considered as a part of your application packet.  Instead, some departments allow electronic submission through your MySacSate portal or via email and others require hard copies to be mailed to their office.  Please review the website of the program your are interested in applying to in order review their application procedures.

I’m having trouble with the online application process. Who can I call for help?

You may call 1 (857) 304-2087 for technical assistance.

Do I need to enter all of the course I have taken on my application?

No.  While you are required to list all colleges/universities attended, you do not need to list each course that you have taken.

Do I need to list all of the colleges/universities I have attended on my application?

Yes. You need to list every college/uniersity you have attended, even if only for one class.  Please note that you will also need to submit an official transcript, in a university sealed envelope, from each of these schools to the Office of Graduate Studies.

The payment screen is blank. What should I do?

If the payment screen is blank, please try refreshing your browser and the payment information should appear.  If you continue to have issues viewing the payment info, please call 1 (857) 304-2087 for technical assistance.

Can I submit my documents after the deadline date?

Sacramento State operates under a completion deadline process. Your file must be complete by the closing date – all transcripts, test scores, and documents must be received by both the Office of Graduate Studies and any supplemental documents to the department by the close of business on the final application filing date (some departments have earlier deadline dates for their supplemental applications, please check with your department).

How long will it take to process my transcripts?

Average processing time for transcripts is 1-2 weeks after they are received. This time may be longer during peak times, so please allow adequate time for processing before ordering additional copies. Also, allow additional processing time if the name on the transcript does not match the name on your application. Please do not send transcript before you apply. If you are not yet in our system when they arrive, they may not be matched to your application, and your application will be delayed.

What if I have academic records from other countries?

Applicants who attended foreign institutions are required to submit transcripts one month prior to the application deadline, in order to allow time for foreign credential evaluation. Please see our Applicants with Foreign Documents section for details.

Can I defer my application or admission to a later term?

Applications are term specific, which means that Sacramento State will not defer or roll forward your application or admission from term to term. If you do not attend Sacramento State in the term designated on your application, then you must reapply and submit a new application and fee for the subsequent term you wish to be considered for admissions to Sacramento State. Applicants may apply to only one program per admission cycle.

I attended Heald College, how do I get my transcript?

On April 27, 2015 all Heald Colleges closed.  Since that time the California State, Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Private and Postsecondary Education Office began receiving student academic records for Everest, Heald and WyoTech (Corinthian Colleges in California). 

Students seeking transcripts should submit a Transcript Request Form and the requests will be fulfilled in the order received. Please continue to monitor the Bureau’s Web site, Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.