California State University, Sacramento

Based on real user feedback and statistics, no longer supports Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Skip to Main Content

Office of Graduate Studies Academic Affairs

Support Page Content

Frequently Asked Questions For International Graduate Students

Will California State University, Sacramento accept my documents from a foreign country?

California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State) will accept applications from all countries. Please see the Document Requirements section for more information on requirements for each country.

What documents should I submit to CSU, Sacramento?

Please submit official academic records for each semester or year attended with all courses marked (graded) and an official verification or an official copy of all degree certificates or diplomas. The word “official” means academic records that bears an official signature in ink of the affiliated college principal, University Registrar, Rector, Controller of Examinations or Recorder of Records, and bear the university’s seal. These “official” documents must arrive at the Office of Graduate Studies, Sacramento State in an unopened sealed envelope of the university, institution, ministry, technical board, or other authorized institution. Please see the Document Requirements section for more information on requirements for each country. Please use our Request for Academic Records form when requesting your academic records and degree verification.

Will CSU Sacramento accept an outside evaluation of my application?

Sacramento State will ONLY accept evaluations from the agencies listed in the Document Requirements section. Applicants have the option of having one of these agencies or Sacramento State evaluate their documents. Applicants electing to have one of these agencies do the evaluation, do so at their own expense. The university will not reimburse applicants. These agencies are also approved by the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and the California Board of Accountancy.

I want to apply for a Teaching Credential and they said that I have to get my documents evaluated by an outside agency. What should I do?

Individuals applying to the Teaching Credential Program will also have to submit an outside evaluation of their academic records with a supplemental credential program application. This outside evaluation is required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). For this reason, it is recommended that credential program applicants have their documents evaluated by one of the above listed agencies, since the Commission will accept their evaluation as well. Visit the Teaching Credential Program for more information.

When will the university begin evaluation of my official documents?

You must file an online application, pay the application fee and submit official documents as directed in the Required Documents section or the Specific Countries list of this webpage. Documents should come in the native language along with an English Translation. Once the file is completed as directed, the university will begin the document evaluation. If you choose to use one of the approved agencies, you do not have to submit original or official documents from the institution where your degree was awarded.

What if my institution will not provide an English translation of my documents?

Please visit our Translation section for information.

How long after I have submitted all the required documents will the evaluation from the university take?

On campus evaluations can take 6-12 weeks once your file is completed as directed.

How soon should I have my documents submitted?

All foreign documents should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies one (1) month prior to the posted deadline of the program to which you are applying. Some countries take longer to send documents than others; applicants should request their documents several months before the application deadline date.

Please use our Request for Academic Records form when requesting your academic records, if you are going to have Sacramento State evaluate your documents. If you choose to use one of the agencies above to evaluate your documents, follow the instructions they provide. Also, if you choose to use one of the agencies above, you do not have to submit a separate set of your records, the official evaluation by the agency will satisfy your document requirements. Please do not send transcripts before you apply. If you are not yet in our system when they arrive, they may not be matched to your application, and your application will be delayed.

Do I have to take TOEFL or another English Language Proficiency exam?

If you earned a degree from an institution located in a nation where English is not the official language, you must take TOEFL or IELTS or Pearson’s Test of English Academic, please review the Language Testing Requirement section for specific information.

Where should I have my documents sent?

All Documents should be sent to:
California State University, Sacramento
Office of Graduate Studies
River Front Center 215, MS 6112
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819

The program I am applying to, requires supplemental materials, where do I send those?

All required supplemental document will be uploaded into Cal State Apply at the time of application submission. Cal State Apply applications cannot be submitted without the required supplemental documents.