Special Features

  • The Bachelor’s degree program in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

  • Graduate students in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology participate in supervised clinical practica through the campus-based Maryjane Rees Language, Speech, and Hearing Center.

  • Graduate practica in Speech-Language Pathology include three semesters of on-campus clinic, an internship in the public schools, and optional internships in local hospitals and other agencies. Upon completion of the Master's degree, students will have acquired a variety of supervised clinical experiences totaling a minimum of 400 clock hours.

  • The Master’s degree program in Speech-Language Pathology is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

  • The Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential with Special Class Authorization is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).


The fields of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology are concerned with disorders of speech, language, swallowing, and hearing. A Speech-Language Pathologist is trained to diagnose and treat language, speech and swallowing disorders. An Audiologist is trained to identify impairments and dysfunction of auditory, balance, and other related systems.

The Department offers a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Program, Bachelor of Science degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, a Second Bachelor of Science degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, and a Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology. The SLPA Program meets the State of California’s registration and licensing requirements for Speech-Language Pathology Assistants. The Bachelor’s degrees provide background in theoretical and clinical areas necessary to apply for graduate study in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. The Master's degree provides professional training for a career in Speech-Language Pathology.

Employment as a Speech-Language Pathologist in California requires both a Master's degree and a credential or license. Completion of the Master's degree provides the training necessary for students to qualify for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association's Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology, California State License as a Speech-Language Pathologist and the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential for working as a Speech-Language Pathologist in the California public schools. The Department also prepares students to apply for the Special Class Authorization, an extension of the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential, required to teach a classroom of language-disordered children in California (Other experiences and exams are also required; these will be described below under "Additional Information.").

A Bachelor’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology can lead to other careers in health- and education-related fields. The broad, yet challenging, nature of the Bachelor’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology prepares students for employment requiring a background in human development, communication, health, and education. Graduates have pursued work in the fields of special education, counseling, and rehabilitation, as well as careers in the health insurance industry, disability law, career advising, and government health programs. 

A student must have a 2.5 GPA in the major in order to graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders (Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology). To achieve this GPA, students may repeat up to a maximum of 16 units of coursework in the major in courses for which grades of C- or below were earned, contingent upon their eligibility to do so under the campus policy on repeating courses. Repeated course grades will either be forgiven or averaged with the new grade according to the campus policy on repeating courses.

Students must complete the major prerequisites before beginning courses in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.

Undergraduate courses begin in the fall semester and progress in a prescribed sequence.

Do I Need to Take Physics or Chemistry?

  • It is strongly recommended that students have completed a course in physics and/or chemistry as they will be required later on when applying to a Master’s program.
  • Per ASHA’s recently Revised Certification Standards (please see https://www.asha.org/Certification/Certification-Standards-Change-in-2020/), all individuals applying for the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) after December 31, 2019 will be required to complete a college-level course in physics or chemistry.


Please visit the Current Catalogue at http://catalog.csus.edu/  for current program information and course descriptions.

Advising Tools: https://www.csus.edu/hhs/csad/advising.html


Go to top