RPTA Certificate Programs Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Academic Certificates

RPTA logo

All department certificates are restricted to students in the Recreation, Parks and Tourism Administration major or minor programs. All courses must be taken in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Administration. A grade of "C-" or better is required in all courses applied to the certificate.

Certificate FAQs


  • How do I sign up for a certificate?

You can verify coursework for the certificates by filling out the Verification Forms available on the website. You do not fill this out until you have completed all the required coursework for the certificate.

  • Is it necessary to fill out the verification paperwork to receive credit for the certificate?

Yes, please fill out the paperwork correctly. The RPTA office will not have time to contact students if the paperwork is incomplete.

  • Will the certificate show on my transcript?

Yes, the purpose of the certificates is not only to give students preparation for various segments of the industry, but also to give graduates evidence that relevant courses to these segments have been completed. Your transcript will show your degree (Bachelor of Science in Recreation Administration), your concentration (Recreation and Park Management), and your certificate(s).

  • Doesn’t my transcript already show things like “park and recreation resource” or “commercial recreation, tourism and hospitality?” Why do I need a certificate too?

Unfortunately, at Sacramento State, “focus areas” (Community Recreation Management, Commercial Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Park and Recreation Resource Management, etc.) do not show on a student’s transcript. These focus areas are for department use only in assigning advisors, but are not represented on any official paperwork a student receives. The certificates will show on official paperwork, which is why they were developed.

  • Can courses I’ve taken before Fall 2016 count toward the certificate?

Yes, as long as you declare the certificate before you graduate, the courses will count.  

  • Can I complete more than one certificate?

Yes, many of the certificates have overlapping courses. However, students should not delay their graduation to obtain more certificates.

  • Can RPTA minors declare certificate programs?

Yes, each of the certificates can be completed in fewer than 21 units, which is the size of the Minor in Recreation Administration. If a minor student completes the certificate courses, but does not finish the minor, the certificate will not be awarded.

  • Can non-RPTA majors/minors declare certificate programs?

No, certificate programs are not open to non-RPTA majors/minors. Only RPTA majors and minors may receive certificates (see above). The minor must be completed before the certificate can be awarded.

  • Can I list the certificate on my resume?

Yes, and you are encouraged to do so! It may look something like this…

Bachelor of Science in Recreation Administration, California State University, Sacramento (2017)
Graduated Cum Laude
Concentration in Recreation and Park Management
Certificate in Natural Resource Administration
Certificate in Outdoor Adventure Administration

  • If I’ve already graduated, can I receive a certificate?

No, unfortunately the university cannot alter transcripts for those students that have already graduated.

  • Can I make substitutions to courses in the certificate based on something else I’d rather take?

No, the certificates have strict guidelines that the university recognizes. If the approved courses are not completed, the certificate will not be awarded.

  • Should I stay an extra semester or two to get more certificates?
    No, while certificates are important and desirable, the most important line on your resume from a university is one showing the completion of a Bachelor of Science degree. Once you’ve graduated, you’re free to begin your career path, or go into graduate school. You can’t do those things if you’re still working on your undergrad degree.