Recreation & Park Management Concentration

Recreation & Park

The new RPTA Certificate Programs are great additions to your RPM Concentration degree. Focus your major electives to receive one or two certificates in your area of interest.


Recreation and Park Management (RPM) - In 1955, Sacramento State graduated its first recreation management students for what would become the RPM Concentration in the Department of Recreation, Parks and Tourism Administration. This gives RPM a long and proud history in the Sacramento region.  



The B.S. in Recreation Administration - Recreation and Park Management Concentration is 57-59 unitsStudents should carefully read the University Catalog section on Recreation and Park Management, and meet with their faculty advisor to ensure that all of the required courses have been completed. All courses require a grade of C- or higher.

This concentration has a shared set of core courses and then further electives to help students focus  in several areas, including: 

  • Commercial Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality Management 
    - See courses for the Hospitality and Tourism Administration Certificate and the Event Planning Certificate
  • Community Recreation Management
    - See courses for the Non-Profit Administration Certificate, the Event Planning Certificate and other department electives 
  • Park and Recreation Resource Management (informally called Outdoor Recreation Management)
    - See courses for the Natural Resource Administration Certificate and the Outdoor Adventure Administration Certificate


This Concentration requires 600 hours of pre-internship. All pre-internship hours must be completed before a student can enroll in the internship course (RPTA 195). Students should consult with their faculty advisor if they have questions regarding pre-internship hours.


This Concentration requires a 400 hour (10-units of RPTA 195) internship as part of our national accreditation. Students are responsible for finding their own internship sites, and you should speak to your advisor to help you make an appropriate choice. 

RPM Advising

All students are assigned a faculty advisor upon declaring the major in the RPTA Main Office (4000 Solano Hall) or during Orientation for new students. 

Interested in a Certificate? RPM students have several Certificate options to make their degrees more marketable. Visit the Certificates and Minors tab above for more information.  

Hey Undergrads! RPTA has a Recreation Majors Association (RMA) you can join on Facebook!

Follow us on Twitter! (