Employee Assistance Program FAQ

1. Am I eligible for the EAP Program?

  • Any active employee of California State University, Sacramento; University Enterprises, Inc.; Associated Students, Inc & Capital Public Radio, Inc. is eligible for services.  Additionally, any person who is permanently residing in the employee’s household and individuals who qualify as dependents for federal income tax purposes are eligible.

2. Can I use “Release Time” from work in order to seek EAP services?

  • In most cases, upon approval, an employee undergoing treatment may use accrued sick leave, CTO, and vacation leave credits for such a purpose.  Review your Collective Bargaining Agreement for specific details.

    Unit 1 - Article 14, Section 7

    Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 - Article 21, Section 29

    Unit 3 - Article 24, Section 10

    Unit 4 - Article 19, Section 10

    Unit 6 - Article 25, Section 17

    Unit 8 - Article 22, Section 1

    Unit 11 - Article 20, Section 5

3. Are EAP Services Confidential?

  • The Plan will maintain the confidentiality of all Enrollee EAP records except to the extent that disclosure is authorized by the Enrollee in writing, or is otherwise mandated by federal and state law.  All EAP case records are maintained in compliance with all federal and state laws protecting the confidentiality and security of EAP records.  The Plan maintains a comprehensive standard procedure on the confidentiality of case records that prescribes how Enrollee case records are to be maintained.
  • The Plan’s procedures are also fully compliant with the Federal Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act [HIPAA] that became effective April 14, 2003.

  • The Plan’s Notice of Privacy Practices, which describes the Plan’s policies and procedures for preserving the confidentiality of medical records, will be offered to each enrollee during the EAP intake call or counseling appointment.  Members may request a paper copy of this Notice at any time by contacting the Plan at 1-800-367-7474.  The Plan’s Notice of Privacy Practices is also available on the Plan’s member website at mylifematters.com.

4. How Much Do I Pay for Services?

  • There are no co-payments, co-insurance, or deductible payments.  If, however, you desire additional services not covered by the EAP or choose a practitioner who is not part of Empathia’s network, you will be responsible for payment.

5. Who Can I See Under the Plan?

  • A list of contracting providers within the Enrollee’s general geographic area is available upon request.
  • The Plan will provide EAP services to eligible Enrollees, at times and locations(s) agreed to and arranged by the Plan and Enrollee.
  • All contracting Providers are appropriately licensed and/or certified qualified clinical professionals who function as EAP counselors within the scope of employee assistance services and shall comply with professionally recognized standards of practice and all applicable state and federal laws.
  • EAP Providers may be licensed as Marriage Family and Child Therapists (MFT), Licensed Clinical Social Workers  (LCSW), Clinical Psychologists (PhD), and Certified Addictions Counselors (CAC).  All perform EAP counseling within the defined scope of EAP services.  

6. How do I Access Services?