Casual Worker and Helper/Aid Appointment Guidelines

Casual Worker Classification

Casual Workers are hired on a part-time, temporary, and intermittent basis to perform non-bargaining unit work that meets the “non-exempt” criteria of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). They are paid on an hourly basis and are not eligible for benefits, sick leave, vacation leave or shift differential. Incumbents are not eligible to earn permanent status.

Helper/Aid Classification

The Helper/Aid performs a variety of simple clerical or manual tasks. This classification is designed to employ minimally qualified individuals with little or no work experience.  It is expected that this classification will be used in conjunction with a formalized training program. Incumbents will not gain permanent status as Helpers/Aids as this is a training classification.

Employees can be appointed up to one year upon approval.

In order to appoint a Casual Worker or Helper/Aid the following paperwork is required:

Send completed documents to: Human Resources/Employment Services, campus zip 6032.

Employees can ONLY begin work when:

  • Background clearance confirmed
  • Position, pay level and all paperwork approved by Human Resources

The hiring department will be notified of the date that the individual is eligible to begin work. An offer letter of employment will be prepared by Human Resources/Employment Services and e-mailed to the individual being hired and the supervisor/manager.


If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources/Employment Services at (916) 278-6326, Monday-Friday between 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.