Frequently Asked Questions 


Please submit your Jury Duty substantiation form from the Court to your payroll technician once you have completed service. You may mail the form to Campus Zip 6032 or email a scanned copy to your payroll technician.

Employment verifications can be requested from the Payroll Customer Service line: (916) 278-6211.

No. State Controller Guidelines mandate that under no circumstances do we release pay warrants early.

Payroll cannot mail pay warrants. You may check with your department for their policy on mailing warrants and make arrangements with them.

Please check with your department. If they did not receive your warrant, they may contact Student Financial Services Department to see if your warrant officer signed for it. If not, the department may contact your payroll technician.

Have you recently signed up for a TSA, Dependent Care or other benefit? Do you owe the University or another State or Federal Agency money? Did you receive moving expense monies that you are now being taxed on? These are just a few of the reasons that you will find an additional deduction on your pay stub.

All employees qualify for direct deposit immediately.

Depending on your financial institution, it usually takes 30-45 days. Always check on payday to see if your direct deposit has begun. Do not assume.

All employees need to change their address with the Payroll Office. If you update only your department and the Benefits Office, this will not affect the payroll system. You may do so by visiting the Payroll Office or by using the CMS HR Self Service system online. Students also need to change their address with Admissions and records. All changes must be completed by December 10th of each year to ensure W-2 mailing accuracy.

All Savings Bonds transactions are handled by the Payroll Office. Payroll must have your completed form to the State Controllers Office by the 9th of the month to ensure the change will be in effect on your next paycheck. ** The Savings Bond Program will be discontinued effective January 1, 2011. **

The State Controller's Office has a downloadable Excel page for this computation called a paycheck calculator. You can find a link to the net pay calculator on our main payroll page.

They are Printed by the State Controllers Office and issued on approximately the 15th of January. They are sent to the most current address on file with the Payroll Office as of December 10th of the previous year.

Stop by the Payroll Office-it may have been returned to us. Or you can visit the State Controllers' web site at

Go to the Payroll Office to request a duplicate warrant. This process can take 2-4 weeks. If you have a partially destroyed warrant, bring all of the pieces with you as this may expedite the issuance of a replacement warrant. 
A lost stub can be replaced with a computer printout from the Payroll Office (you must request this in person at the Payroll Office), or online through CMS (HR Self Service).

If you have contributed to PERS, the refund form can be obtained and completed in the Payroll office. All other refund requests can be obtained through the Benefits Office.

You should always contact your timekeeper first. If the information is unobtainable or the issue is not resolved, the timekeeper should call the Payroll Office.

No, you must re-file your tax "exempt" status every January or it will automatically revert to Single status with 0 allowances.