Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online testing in Canvas. It prevents students from printing, copying, going to another website, or accessing other applications during an Exam.
LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently.
The list below highlights some of these differences.
- Modified Toolbar - the condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh and Stop functions.
- Assessment Mode - assessments are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
- Disabled Controls - all printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
- Links - links to other web servers do not compromise the secure testing environment.
- Blocked Features & Applications - the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed. Hundreds of screen capture, messaging, screensharing and network monitoring applications are blocked.
- Accessibility - the Mac version of LockDown Browser works with the VoiceOver screen reader. The Windows version works with screen readers like JAWS and NVDA. All Windows users should be using version 2.0.3.00 or newer. ZoomText is compatible in regards to increasing text size, but the reader is not currently compatible.
If a Canvas exam requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, the exam will not be accessible with a standard Web browser.