Impaction Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about impaction or applying to the major?

Contact Cheryl Lugo at or 916-278-6504

1. What do I need to do to declare the Psychology Major at Sac State?
The Psychology Major is impacted. Those interested in declaring Psychology as their major must complete an additional application, called the “Supplemental Application”. This application is SEPARATE from your application for university admission. For more information, visit our Impaction page.

2. How can I become eligible to submit the supplemental application?

You must complete the following criteria:
a. Have 30 units of college level coursework completed.
b. Have the Introductory Psychology course (PSYC 2 at Sac State), or its equivalent, completed with a letter grade of “C” or above within 3 attempts.
c. Be in Good Academic Standing at the time of application.
d. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3 in all college level coursework.

3. Are there any other classes required to be completed in order to apply? No other classes are required to be completed before you apply other than the Introductory Psychology course (PSYC 2 at Sac State).

4. Do AP and IB units count towards college level units?
Yes, they do. The AP Psychology Exam can also be counted as the equivalent of the Introductory Psychology (PSYC 2 at Sac State) course as long as a score of 3 or above was earned.

5. How do I find out which course at my community college is equivalent to the Introductory Psychology class?
Search for the equivalent course on

6. Are transcripts required for the supplemental application?
No. Transcripts are no longer required for the supplemental application.

7. How do I know if I have been admitted to the major?
Applicants will receive an e-mail 2 – 3 weeks after the application deadline.

8. How do we submit a change of major form?
If you are admitted to the major, Cheryl Lugo will submit a Declaration of Major form on your behalf. These forms are very different from the ones that other non-impacted majors use and it is with the purpose of preventing non-admitted students to declare the major. With this in mind, you don’t need to worry about submitting the form as the Registrar’s Office will only accept these from the Psychology Department staff directly.

9. Will we need to re-apply every semester in order to remain a major?
Once you have been admitted into the major, you will not have to re-apply each semester to remain a major. If you are academically dismissed, academically disqualified, or if you take more than one semester off (Fall & Spring) without a Leave of Absence you will need to re-apply to the major.

10. Which community college classes can I take to fulfill major requirements?
The only classes that transfer into the Psychology Major at Sac State from community colleges are PSYC 2 – Introductory Psychology and PSYC 8 – Methods of Psychology. No other community college Psychology courses will transfer into the major at Sac State but they can transfer in as GE requirements. Please visit for equivalency information.

11. Can I transfer in other upper division Psychology courses into the major?
We evaluate upper division coursework completed at other universities on a case by case basis. We will oftentimes request a syllabus of the course to help us determine the potential equivalency or course substitution.