Support Page Content
CareerCONNECTED Federal Work Study Program
Become a CareerCONNECTED Federal Work-Study Program Off-Campus Employer
Thank you for your interest in identifying or becoming a potential off-campus internship site for CareerCONNECTED Program Federal Work-Study Program (CCFWS).
CCFWS is an experimental program designed to increase off-campus work opportunities for Federal Work-Study eligible low-income students to pursue paid "career-connected" positions, including, but not limited to those that can meet academically required practicum/internship hours that are typically unpaid.
We are interested in identifying potential off-campus internship and career-related work experiences that are related to students' programs of study, especially those in high-need/bright outlook occupations. Each work and learn position must be for an FWS-eligible student, who typically has an award of $1,500-$3,000.
Students can receive compensation for up to 20 hours per week until their FWS award is exhausted for occurring during the fall and spring semesters. Please note: summer employment is not a current option under this program.
Hiring a student is not guaranteed, as it is contingent on the applicant pool and student eligibility for positions matching their fields of study.
The following are the CCFWS employers' required investments:
- Small Business: FWS contributes 75% of the work-study pay, the employer provides 25% plus 15% of total compensation.
- Other private business: FWS contributes 50%, the employer pays 50% of work-study pay plus 15% of total compensation.
- Limited eligible non-profits and government agencies: FWS contributes up to 100% of work-study pay; employer pays 0%.
Fall 2021 - Spring 2022 Hiring Cycle
The Fall 2021 student recruitment and hiring period will be July 29 – October 8. All work during the Fall 2021 period ends December 17. Students cannot begin working at CCFWS sites until contracts are executed and the Office of Student Employment issues students’ confirmation of employment.
To hire CCFWS Program students for Fall 2021, prospective employers will be required to do the following:
- Attend a mandatory info session
- Submit the CCFWS Worksheet (lists site contact, internship supervisors, # of interns desired, and cost)
- Execute the CCFWS Site Contract (outlines university and employer responsibilities, emailed after worksheet submitted)
- Post CCFWS positions in Handshake (system employers use for recruitment/applicant management)
- Submit an online Intent-to-Hire Form (link provided after CCFWS notified student accepts offer)
- Submit the Student Employment Payroll Transaction Form (SEPTF)
- Manage student timesheets & monitor students' work hours not to exceed their FWS award
- Submit a student/program evaluation
Employers that meet the requirements and are interested in becoming a CCFWS employer site should complete the interest form to receive additional information, including an invitation to the info sessions, a sample contract, and tips for internship development and CCFWS intern management.
If you have questions on the CareerCONNECTED Federal Work-Study Program or employer services contact firstname.lastname@example.org.