Prerequisites for MS in Urban Land Development

Tower Bridge Sacramento

The Master of Science in Urban Land Development has one required prerequisite course, statistics, and one required prerequisite competency, computer literacy (in particular Excel and Microsoft Office).

Students are required to complete the prerequisite course prior to their first semester in the program and before enrolling in foundation courses. The prerequisite must be completed with a grade of B or better. Applicants to the program may complete the prerequisite course while making their application. However, those applicants who have successfully completed the prerequisite prior to applying to the program are considered stronger candidates for admission.

Computer literacy may be established through coursework, professional experience, or readings. Readings may include Mircosoft Office and Excel how-to books or self-guided on-line tutorials.

To assist you, we have put together a sampling of acceptable prerequisite courses in statistics offered in the Sacramento area. This is NOT a comprehensive list and courses offered at other accredited institutions are also acceptable. (In no way should the appearance of an institution on this list be considered an endorsement of that institution.)

Link to course list:


Frequently asked questions about our prerequisite

What is a prerequisite?

arrow down

Our prerequisite is an undergraduate introductory course in statistics. Success in this course is an admission requirement. These courses provide students with basic academic tools to function intelligently in our graduate seminars.

Can I apply to the MS/ULD program while I'm completing my prerequisite?

arrow down

Applicants may complete the prerequisite while making their application to the MS/ULD program. However, applications submitted by individuals who have successfully completed the prerequisite are generally considered more competitive.

What if I haven't completed the prerequisite by the program's application deadline?

arrow down

Applicants with deficiencies in the prerequisite may submit applications and may, if appropriate, be admitted as conditionally classified students. In the place on the supplementary program application for prerequisite information, put "IP" (in progress) in lieu of a grade. Be sure to specify the semester, year, and location you will take the course.

Admit letters to conditionally classified students specify conditions to be met and timelines to meet them. Once conditionally classified students submit grade reports to the Department, we start the process to change the student to fully classified graduate standing. This usually needs to be accomplished no later than the week before classes begin in the fall (often late August), though conditions and deadlines may vary somewhat by individual.

Transcripts submitted to Graduate Studies during the application process which contain passing grades for a prerequisite course do not need to be re-submitted to the Department unless specifically requested.

I took the prerequisite a long time ago; does it count?

arrow down

As long as you earned a grade of B or better (not a B-, but a B), the prerequisite counts no matter how long ago you took it. Retaking a course or reading up on a particular subject that may not be fresh in your mind is a very good idea if you feel that you have not retained the material from the course.

When should I take prerequisite the course?

arrow down

The prerequisite may be taken during your undergraduate education, before applying to the MS/ULD program, or the summer prior to starting the program if you are accepted. As stated above, applications with a successfully completed prerequisite are considered more competitive.

What if I'm not sure a class can be used as a prerequisite?

arrow down

In general, an undergraduate introductory course in statistics will work. If you are still unsure, please feel free to send the course description and/or syllabus to the Department or Chair for review.

Can I satisfy the prerequisite requirement through an on-line course or distant education?

arrow down

On-line and distance education courses offered through accredited institutions are acceptable. Other non-traditional delivery methods may also be acceptable. Check with the Department if in doubt.

What grades do I need in the prerequisite course?

arrow down

You must earn a grade of B or better in the prerequisite course (not a B-). You will need to retake the prerequisite course where you earned grades of B- or below.

What if I cannot take the prerequisite or fail to earn a B or better prior to starting the program?

arrow down

Students who are unable to enroll in or successfully complete the prerequisite prior to starting the program will have their admission rescinded. Those students are welcome to apply again the following year and are encouraged to use the extra time to focus on successful and timely completion of the prerequisite. Those who anticipate this problem should immediately contact the Program Director to discuss the matter.

Can I use an AP course from high school to satisfy the prerequisite requirement?

arrow down

You may use a high school AP course to satisfy a prerequisite requirement ONLY if you received college credit for it AND it appears on your undergraduate college transcript.

Who do I notify when I've completed my prerequisite?

arrow down

Send your grade report directly to the Department by
fax 916-278-6544,
email:, or USPS to:

Public Policy and Administration
MS in Urban Land Development
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street, mailstop 6081
Sacramento, CA 95819

Graduate Studies is not responsible for enforcing our prerequisite requirement. Please do not send them your prerequisite grade report hoping to satisfy our requirement. Keep in mind that they may require you send them additional transcripts for other reasons.

Do prerequisites count toward the units required for a master's degree units?

arrow down

No, but you cannot begin taking our master's level courses until your prerequisite has been successfully completed. Courses used toward another degree (your bachelor's degree for example) may be used to meet the prerequisite requirement.

Where can I take my prerequisite?

arrow down

You may take your prerequisite at any accredited degree granting institution. Accredited community colleges, on-line colleges or universities, or private (non-profit or for-profit) colleges are examples of acceptable places to take prerequisites. Links to a list of sample schools is at the top of this page. Keep in mind that you are not limited to our suggested options.

How do I know if an institution where I want to take a prerequisite is accredited?

arrow down

Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accredits schools in California and the West. You can ask the college or university where you want to take the course if they are accredited, or you can check for yourself at the WASC website. On-line courses offered by institutions outside the West may be accredited by other accrediting bodies.