Name: Mahyar Zarghami, Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Title: Assistant Professor
Office Phone: (916) 278-7113
Sacramento State 6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6019
Office Hours: By appointment
College : Engineering and Computer Science
Department : Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Courses that I teach
- • EEE 131: Electromechanics Laboratory
- • EEE 136: Smart Electric Power Grid
- • EEE 141: Power System Analysis
- • EEE 142: Energy Systems Control and Optimization
- • EEE 252: Power System Reliability and Planning
- • EEE 255: Introduction to Future Power Systems and Smart Grids
- • EEE 257: Wind Energy Electrical Conversion Systems
- • EEE 259: Advanced Topics in Power Systems
- • Journals
- • M. Zarghami, Mariesa L. Crow, S. Jagannathan, ''Nonlinear Control of FACTS Controllers for Damping Interarea Oscillations in Power Systems'' IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 3113-3121, Oct. 2010.
- • M. Zarghami, Mariesa L. Crow, S. Jagannathan, Y. Liu, S. Atcitty, ''A Novel Approach to Inter-Area Oscillation Damping by Unified Power Flow Controllers Utilizing Ultracapacitors'', IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 404-412, Feb. 2010.
- • M. Zarghami, Mariesa L. Crow, ''The Existence of Multiple Equilibria in the UPFC Power Injection Model'', IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 2280-2282, Nov. 2007.
- • Conferences
- • A. Rahimi, A. Cloninger, M. Zarghami, M. Vaziri, “Investigation on Volt-VAr Control Using CVR at Various Phtovoltaic Penetration Levels”, 2014 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Sep. 7-9, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- • J. Icenhower, M. Zarghami, M. Vaziri, “A Heuristic Power Optimization Method for Photovoltaic Systems”, 2014 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Sep. 7-9, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- • Mahyar Zarghami, Reynaldo Nuqui, “A Wide-Area Loss-Index Based method for Voltage Instability Protection”, IEEE PES General Meeting 2014, July 27-31.
- • M. Zarghami, B. Kaviani, F. Tavatli, M. Vaziri, “Complex Power Optimization of Photovoltaic Systems”, IEEE PES General Meeting 2014, July 27-31.
- • M. Tesfasilassie, M. Zarghami, M. Vaziri, A. Rahimi, “An Estimative Approach for CVR Effectiveness Using Aggregated Load Modeling”, IEEE PES Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies, Feb. 19-22, 2014.
- • A. Rahimi, M. Zarghami, M. Vaziri, S. Vadhva, “A Simple and Effective Approach for Peak Load Shaving Using Battery Storage Systems”, 2013 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Sep. 22-24, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS.
- • A. Marinopoulos, J. Pan, M. Zarghami, M. Reza, K. Yunus, C. Yue, and K. Srivastava, ''Investigating the impact of Wake effect on Wind Farm Aggregation'', IEEE Trondheim Powertech 2011, 19-23 June 2011.
- • Mahyar Zarghami, Mariesa L. Crow,”A Unified Platform for Dynamic Modeling and Simulation of Hybrid AC/DC Systems”, EPRI HVDC & FACTS Conference, Aug. 2011, Palo Alto, CA, USA.
- • Reynaldo F. Nuqui, M. Zarghami, M. Mendik, ''The Impact of Optical Current and Voltage Sensors on Phasor Measurements and Applications'', IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition (T&D), April 2010, New Orleans, USA.
- • M. Zarghami, Mariesa L. Crow, S. Jagannathan, ''Dynamic Placement and Signal Selection for UPFCs in Wide-Area Controlled Power Systems'', IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition (T&D), April 2010, New Orleans, USA.
- • M. Zarghami, Mariesa. L. Crow, ''Optimal Dynamic Placement and Signal Selection in Wide-Area Controlled UPFCs for Damping Power System Oscillations'', Power Systems Conference & Exposition (PSCE), March 2009, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- • M. Zarghami, Mariesa. L. Crow, J. Sarangapani, Yilu Liu, ''Damping Inter-Area Oscillations by UPFCs Based on Selected Global Measurements'', Power & Energy Society General Meeting, July 2008, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
- • Power System Dynamics, Stability and Control
- • FACTS and HVDC
- • Power System Modeling, Simulation and Optimization
- • Applications of Synchronized Measurements in Wide-Area Control of Transmission Systems
- • Micro-Grids and Active Distribution Networks
- • Renewable Energy
- • Secretary, IEEE Sacramento Valley Section
- • Vice President, Power and Energy Society, IEEE Sacramento Valley Section
More About Me
- • I received my B.Sc. degree from K. N. Toosi University of Technology, Iran in 1993, my M.Sc. degree from Sharif University of Technology, Iran in 2001, and my Ph.D. degree from Missouri University of Science and Technology, USA in 2008, all in Electrical Engineering. I have more than 12 years of experience in industry inside and outside US, of which my most recent experience has been with US Corporate Research Center, ABB. Inc. from 2008 to 2011.
- • My CV (updated 8/29/15)