Curriculum and Staff Development with Technology
Forum: Essential Elements of E-Learning
Rubric for forum assignments
assigned 02/03/08: due 02/10/08 by midnight
Review the following pages in the E-Learning for Educators PDF Handbook:
a. Overview: Pages V-VI,
b. Introductory Material: Pages 1-6,
c. E-Learning Basics: Pages 7-21, and
d. Essential Elements with Guiding Questions: Pages 26-33.
E-Learning for Educators: Implementing the Standards for Staff Development http://www.nsdc.org/connect/projects/e-learning.pdf
IMPORTANT NOTE: It may be difficult to determine, while perusing the PDF, that the Essential Elements tables are really two-page layouts. That is, pages 26-27 are part of one table that is spread out over 2 pages, pages 28-29 another table, etc. You will probably need to print out pages 26-33 so that you can put the consecutive pages together. This will allow you to make sense out of the guiding questions as they correspond to each subheading under the essential elements. (In addition, the numbering of the pages on the PDF and the pages in the text are different.)
(You will use the Essential Elements and Guiding Questions to help assemble your staff-development plan.)
For this forum assignment please complete the following two tasks :
Task #1: Read Essential Elements
There are 12 major essential elements identified in E-Learning for Educators.
Choose one essential element and discuss why you consider it to be critical to the success of any staff development plan (this does NOT mean you necessarily consider the other elements less or un- important). Post your response to the forum.
Here are some guiding questions (you need not answer them all, just use them to help scaffold your response):
- What sub-categories or guiding questions seem especially critical for effective staff development?
- How would you address this element in your staff development plan?
- Do the guiding questions provide a method by which you could integrate these elements into a staff development plan? How or Why?
- How would you use these elements/questions to help guide the creation of the staff development portion of the major assignment for this semester?
- Discuss the research that supports the element(s) you have chosen?
Task #2: Response
Respond to one peer's post by defending or challenging his or her discussion.
- Do you agree with what was said? Why?
- Do you offer a different perspective or perhaps have additional support for the element chosen? Remember, the element discussed is not necessarily your peer's top choice, just one he/she happened to support with his/her own thoughts and/or research. We are not discussing what is the most essential element, as that would counter the intent of the handbook, which is to offer 12 essential elements, with none being identified as more important than another.
- Post your response to the forum.
Students will need an e-mail account and computer access to the Web. All Sacramento State students enrolled in one or more units can create a SacLink account for e-mail. Although a home computer with Internet access running Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Netscape Navigator would be beneficial, students can access the Internet from one of the campus student labs. Check out System Check and Computer Hardware Recommendations for more information about equipment.
Last updated: 02/01/2008