About Work Study
The Federal Work Study (FWS) program helps students earn funds for educational expenses while providing work experience. This program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.
- Administered by the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office in partnership with the Student Employment Office
- Available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need
- Provides part-time employment while enrolled at least half-time
- FWS employers include on-campus departments and Off-Campus auxiliaries and non-profit organizations
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student (FAFSA)
- Must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Be enrolled at least half-time while participating in the program
- Undergrad: 6 units
- Post-Bac: 4 units
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA for Undergrads and 3.0 GPA for Post-Bac
- Attend FWS Orientation Session (optional)
- If awarded, search FWS positions beginning July 1 through Handshake
- Attend mandatory FWS employer Orientations
- Submit required documents in a timely fashion
- Ensure applicable payment for participation is received
- Verify prospective student has been awarded FWS and the award amount
- Maintain accurate records to ensure:
- Department/agency does not exceed FWS allocation
- Student does earn more than their FWS award
- Comply with all prescribed regulations regarding the Federal Work Study program
2019-2020 Dates to Keep in Mind
|June/July||Mandatory FWS Employer Orientations|
|July 10||FWS Student Orientations
(All held in Mendocino 1015 from 12 - 1 p.m.) Reserve your spot via Handshake
|August 26||All FWS students can begin working.
*Students must be awarded FWS.
Required documents must be submitted.
Connect with the Student Service Center
Student Service Center
Lassen Hall, Room 1000
Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. / Counseling: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.